Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ubuntu and XP network

Have XP on one computer and Gutsy on another. From the Gutsy I can see the network and all other computers connected to the network but when I try to access any one of them I get " The folder contents could not be displayed" "sorry, couldn't display all all the contents of Windows Network:".

So what am I forgetting or doing wrong? Windows firewall is turned off and the 2 partitions on the Windows drive are shared. Also it will not find either of the 2 wireless computers, which at this point isn't as important.
    Biostar P4M900-M7 FE, Inte Core 2 Duo E7400, Win7

Re: Ubuntu and XP network

Samba is the usual way to connect Linux boxes to a Windows network.

Should just have to install and start the samba service. Make sure your ubuntu box can communicate with the Windows box and they are on the same DOMAIN.

Ned is the "samba man", I'm sure he'll be around to correct me and help you out more if you have problems.

Nedo'.....?
    Biostar TA 770/ X2 7850 BE
    AC Freezer 64 Pro
    OCZ Gold 4x1024
    EVGA 9800GTX
    Coolermaster CM-690
    Coolermaster RPP RS-650
    Win7Pro

First up, it helps if your Windows username and password are the same as your Linux username and password, although that shouldn't strictly matter as you should be asked for the username/password if different.

Next up, make sure your Linux firewall is also configured to allow connections from the Windows PC (or turned off for testing) - SMB needs to be able to work through a firewall in both directions.

In konqueror (KDE), I normally just enter the following to access a Windows share:

smb://username@ip_address/share_name

or just

smb://ip_address/share_name

and then bookmark it for convenience

I'm not sure of the exact syntax in nautilus (gnome).

You shouldn't need to worry about samba being installed. Samba comes as multiple packages for server/client configurations and starting the samba (SMB) service is normally for the server side of things if you wanted to serve shares from your Linux box, not the other way around. Here's my list of installed samba packages:

Code:
    $ rpm -qa | grep samba
    samba-client-3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2
    system-config-samba-1.2.39-1.el5
    samba-3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2
    samba-common-3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2
    samba-client and samba-common are probably all you need and these should all be installed by default anyway I would have thought, especially on a "user friendly" distro like Ubuntu.

My first guess is probably the firewall on your Linux box, or a username/password conflict.

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

I too just ran into this issue. I am starting to think that the issue may be that XP, and in my case, Vista, sometimes encrypts the passwords when they are transmitted over the network. SAMBA can not deal with this. Hence you can not communicate the passwords back and forth.

If I remember correctly, there are some registry entries that can be made on each Windows computer that will tell it to communicate without encryption. I have to do some research to see if I'm off base or not.

Actually the password issue is an issue for old SAMBA versions. It should now be able to handle them. But if you want to try to disable the encryption first edit your /etc/samba/smb.conf file. Search for encrypt passwords (may or may not have a space in it) and set it to no. Then the Windows computer, add the DWORD value to the Registry entry EnablePlainTextPassword (reg Dword) 1 to the following Registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters

Reboot both systems and then try again. If that doesn't work, delete the registry entry and reset the smb.conf file to re-enable encryption.

Wow, if I remember it was much easier with Feisty. This may take some time to digest. I did have the network working while I was using Feisty on another machine.

I do know that the password on both machines are different though the user name is the same. I will also say that at this point I do not know how to change the password in Ubuntu. So I guess I need to fix that 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by bonz_dragon View Post
    I do know that the password on both machines are different though the user name is the same. I will also say that at this point I do not know how to change the password in Ubuntu. So I guess I need to fix that 1st.
    That's most likely your problem. Authentication occurs using your username/password and if the password is different then it will fail. I think there's a way to specify a different password for samba but it's just way easier to use the same username/password on all machines.

To change your Linux password, just use the 'passwd' command and the command line:

Code:
    passwd
    you'll be prompted for your current password and then asked to enter your new password.

passwords changed to match, no change. how to check Linux firewall?

Maybe try rebooting after resetting your password just in case it's cached

To check firewall:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/iptables status
    and then,

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/iptables start/stop
    to start or stop it

tried that 1st one and got "command not found"

I think /etc/init.d/iptables --status is a RedHat alternative to iptables --list. So try this:

sudo iptables --list

I don't see a demond command that actually starts up iptables.

So how do I join a windows work group on my home network with my ubuntu machine? I can see all my windows machines from the ubuntu machine, but I can't see the ubuntu machine from my windows machine.

iptables -Lv to see if there are any rules in place as Debian/Ubuntu distros don't use any secondary management tools by default.

Quote Originally Posted by speedfrk View Post
    So how do I join a windows work group on my home network with my ubuntu machine? I can see all my windows machines from the ubuntu machine, but I can't see the ubuntu machine from my windows machine.
    You'll need to install and configure Samba using the same workgroup and usernames/passwords for Samba users as on your Windows network. The Samba team recommend using user level security rather than guest shares.

I installed Samba and it set up another network in the network folder called "mshome". There was already a network with the name of my home workgroup. When I tried to rename the mshome workgroup, it won't let you. So I'm wondering where I do the Samba configuration...