Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

xbox 360 or playstation 3

Which has better video quality? Do they both have internet gaming capability? Which games do this?

Re: xbox 360 or playstation 3

They both are about the same (of course each respective fanboy will disagree). But the extra $100 that you will pay for the PS3 is for the built in blu-ray disc player. They both have internet gaming.

BF3 Dino:
    i7 2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, 8GB Corsair, X-25M 120GB, WD 300GB Raptor, 2xEVGA GTX570HD 2.5GB, X-fi Titanium, Antec 1200W.
    Monster: i7 930, MSI X58 Platinum, 9GB Corsair, WD 74GB Raptor, WD 2TB, Palit GTX460 1GB, PCP&C 750W.
    Beast: AMD4400+, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, 2GB Corsair, 2x 1TB WD Green Raid0, 2TB WD Green, KFA2 9600GT, Dynex 500W.
    Relic: Intel P4 3.2GHz, Asus P4SD-LA, 1.5 GB PC2700, 160GB WD, 120GB Maxtor, ATI 9600Pro, Dynex 500W.

It's a toss up really, more based on personal preference. As Tjdehya said, PS3 does have an edge with movies with the Blu-Ray player. But gaming they are pretty much the same, slight differences but nothing extremely noticable.

Personally I chose the 360 because of Xbox Live's capibilites, and the Xbox Marketplace is real nice. And the price was still lower than the PS3 when I got my 360 Elite.

Some Minnesota team....win!

|3DMark '03|When all else fails, you always have Lorcet|3DMark '06|

i'd say the ps3 definately for a few reasons:
    The x360's 1 year head-start advantage(s) are beginning to wear-off.

ut3 is coming to the ps3 first, which means that the x360 version of games won't always come out first.

online gaming is much cheaper (free) on the ps3, and it's not tightly regulated like the more expensive xbox live.

the ps3 has a better controller. it's pretty much the same design as the first 2, and that's the most popular controller design of all time, plus the x360 has an awful d-pad.

the ps3 simply has better games and the x360 exclusives that are good are also superior on the pc (Gears of War, for example.) plus, halo 3 isn't all that great. look at the graphics and the non-innovative gameplay. halo 3 also indicated that not all x360 games will be hd. pretty sad. i assume less and less will be hd in the future as the games get more complex. could be incorrect about that though.

sony's 1st/2nd parties are much better than microsofts, unless microsoft starts putting rare to good use which probably won't ever happen.

the ps3 is 100% unbelieveably reliable. just until recently, all x360s made were defective and you still have a chance of getting a defective one i believe, b/c microsoft refused to recall and destroy.

sony is simply going to listen to what gamers want and will be quicker to fix something, anything that is complained about.

the xbox360's dvd medium is already not big enough or almost not big enough some games. x360 games will also eventually have more compressed audio and video.

metal gear solid 4 is going to be ps3 exclusive only.

PS3 also comes with built in wireless, and it's online environment is free. I believe the 360 has a way overpriced wireless add on.

The above were what forced my hand to the PS3. Especially since they were the same price at the time I bought them.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Wrong...Hideo Kojima has already said its going to be ported over to the 360 as well.

I believe the 360 has a way overpriced wireless add on.
    Correct its $100 for a little wireless network adapter.

the ps3 is 100% unbelieveably reliable. just until recently, all x360s made were defective and you still have a chance of getting a defective one
    Wrong...the same can be said for the PS3 when it first came out. People had all sorts of problems with them freezing and overheating. Our demo unit at work •••••• up and still does....and only until recently has Sony fixed that problem.

The biggest and coolest thing about the PS3 is gonna be "HOME"...Sony's online service, which like everyone else said, is gonna be free. There is a TON of stuff you can do with HOME and I dont feel like typing it all so google it and have a read. A lot cooler than Xbox Live imo.

You can also upgrade the hard drive in the PS3, as it just uses a SATA notebook drive.

Try upgrading the X360's hard drive from 20gb to 120gb without paying $180 or something like that.

The X360 does have good points though. It really is an opinion. Figure out what you want. Blu-Ray or HD-DVD (you have to pay extra for the HD-DVD on X360 unless you get the Elite console). Really I think it comes down to that and whether or not you want to play Halo.

Yeah the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 runs about $179-$200 I believe...I wanna say $179. Also HD-DVD's are $10 more than Blu-Ray (at least where I work)...I also believe the PS3 can push a higher HD reso than the 360. I dont wanna sound like a fanboy cause I'm not...I own neither....just stating the pros and cons.
    Last edited by My PC is loud; 11-30-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Both are quite powerful and neither should limit your gaming experience, especially when PS3 becomes more familiar to coders. For games consoles it really comes down to the games you like. If you prefer blue ray over HD-DVD then PS3 is the obvious choice though (for the moment at least).

If online gaming is free for PS3 that's a big bonus imo, considering it costs what, $50 a year for XBox? Upgradeable HDD is also a nice bonus.

i have both and i personally prefer the 360, the online thing isnt an issue for me as i have live and rarely play, same with the ps3 i rarely play online, when i do play online it is on my pc, although the live online experience and store is by far superior to the ps3, the ps stores interface is a joke imo.

The elite DOES NOT come with the hd-dvd drive built in. The main advantage for the ps3 is the blu-ray player, and folding. As of now the 360 has by far the better games, sony has only in the last couple of months started releasing the blockbusters (ratchet, uncharted and to a lesser degree heavenly sword) In terms of video the advantage goes to sony (unless you get a newer 360 with hdmi, the older ones dont have it)

The hard drive isnt really an issue as the 60 gig one in my ps3 isnt even half filled yet, the 20 gig one i upgraded to the 120 and i just keep all the demos i download for my kids to play.

As for the ms exclusive games appearing on the pc, well it takes over a year (for gears, and like 2+ for halo 2, which are probably the top games ported to pc) For some it is worth it playing a year earlier and not having to upgrade the pc to play it. UT3 is currently available for the pc as well, so that is a moot point, cause if you are saying games like gears is better on pc then you probably have a decent computer to run ut3 as well.

Yes the ps3 is a lot more reliable than the 360 but the warranty on the 360 is really good, now microsoft has figured out the problem and i have heard a lot less of the 360s crashing

I also much prefer the 360 controller, i have big hands and have never liked the sony dual shock/sixaxis controllers.

As mentioned it is personal preference, some will say the ps3 is the greatest thing since sliced bread, while other will say the 360 is. I personally enjoy them both, but if i had to get rid of one it would most likely be the ps3.

Fold with what you have,
    Every Work Unit can make a difference.

I have both also and the PS3 is better hands down. I had to send the 360 back for repair before it was even 6 months old because it would stop reading the game CD after playing for about an hour. I got a new unit and it did the same thing, whereas my PS3 has not given me any issues at all. That plus a Blu-ray player makes the PS3 a winner in my book.
    i7 8700K with Cooler Master T4
    Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
    16GB Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4
    MSI 1080GTX TI DUKE
    WD 240GB SSD & Toshiba 2TB
    EVGA 750W Gold PSU
    Antec DF-85 Case

Quote Originally Posted by vote ron paul View Post
    i'd say the ps3 definately for a few reasons:
    The x360's 1 year head-start advantage(s) are beginning to wear-off.

ut3 is coming to the ps3 first, which means that the x360 version of games won't always come out first.

online gaming is much cheaper (free) on the ps3, and it's not tightly regulated like the more expensive xbox live.

the ps3 has a better controller. it's pretty much the same design as the first 2, and that's the most popular controller design of all time, plus the x360 has an awful d-pad.

the ps3 simply has better games and the x360 exclusives that are good are also superior on the pc (Gears of War, for example.) plus, halo 3 isn't all that great. look at the graphics and the non-innovative gameplay. halo 3 also indicated that not all x360 games will be hd. pretty sad. i assume less and less will be hd in the future as the games get more complex. could be incorrect about that though.

sony's 1st/2nd parties are much better than microsofts, unless microsoft starts putting rare to good use which probably won't ever happen.

the ps3 is 100% unbelieveably reliable. just until recently, all x360s made were defective and you still have a chance of getting a defective one i believe, b/c microsoft refused to recall and destroy.

sony is simply going to listen to what gamers want and will be quicker to fix something, anything that is complained about.

the xbox360's dvd medium is already not big enough or almost not big enough some games. x360 games will also eventually have more compressed audio and video.

yeah and for x360 i was told that it needed a kit to play movies and i think that the gaming for ps3 is way better i played it for 15 min. and i was going through withdrawal and the graphics are way better for ps3 then x360 and i hate the 360 because i takes to long to load the games like oblivion and bioshok.

The 360 can play DVDs without any addons. The live service that you have to pay for is the gold service which allows online multiplayer. But your standard free silver membership allows you to download everything at will. I have the 360 for over a year now, and it has yet to fail me. I prefer the 360 for a number of reasons.

1. Bu-Ray vs HD-DVD war isnt over yet. HD-DVD has been selling for ridiculous cheap lately. Ive seen 100$ players with free DVDs. But until that whole thing plays out, Im not buying any HD content. Although I am very tempted by Transformers, which is HD-DVD only.

2. Games. PS3 games at the moment suck. Their best exclusive is Resistence Fall of Man. Now people will say that 360 has no "real" exclusives because they eventually get ported to the PC. But the fact is that its on the 360 for years before it gets ported, whereas for the PS3 its on the PC first for a few years before it gets ported over (FEAR, Oblivion,etc). If you have a beefy PC and alot of patience, then PS3 vs 360 is an irreverant to you because PC>ALL.

But if your like me and want to live in the moment, go with the 360. That said, the PS3 will have Metal Gear Solid 4. If you are a fan of the series, then you should pick up a PS3 but ONLY WHEN THE GAME RELEASES. I will pick up a Wii strictly for Super Smash Brothers Brawl, but only when the game comes out and the wiis stay on the shelves (common, im not paying some ebay scalper 400$ for a 250$ console). But the 360 has a number of upcoming exclusives (even if they are only temp exclusives) that I cant wait for, including:
    - Ninja Gaiden 2
    - Gears of War 2
    - Banjo and Kazooie

3. Hard Drive. I have the 20gb, its not even half used. If you keep only what you need and use, its unlikely you would need a 120gb. But this varies person to person depending on how much content they download.

4. Developer Support. You know why PS3 has more in-house developing teams than Nintendo and MS combined? Because it lacks 3rd party support. This isnt the PS2, at least not yet. With the low sales numbers (compared to MS and Nintendo) and the more complex architecture, 3rd party companies arnt going to take the gamble on it.

5. Backward-Compatibility. Not really essential for the 360 though it does have limited features. But considering the ridiculous PS2 library, it is a bit more useful on the PS3. But the problem with that is that the 40gb 400$ model doesnt have it(I think they might have a software emulation thing, but Im not sure)! Only the 80gb model has true backward compatibility. This is sort of a moot point for both to me since I have no reason to play last generation games, but for those of you hoping to buy a PS3/PS2-in-one, your gonna have to cough up for the premium package.

The playstation 3 may have more potential power than the 360, but it wont be tapped for a long time - if at all (depending on who you ask). The PS3 is not AMD and the 360 is not Intel, so popularity DOES MATTER. Because developers support popular hardware. If you want a good folder, a semi-HTPC, and a general media player, the PS3 will probably be your pick. But if you want to play really good games as soon as they are launched, you cant go wrong with the 360 (or the Wii, if you can find one).

Although when all is said and done, the PC owns all. It can do everything better and it can do more. But thats only if your willing to constantly put money into upgrading it. Well, thats my take on the whole stupid debate.

Add: As for great online gameplay, Im a PC person. But that said, I live in a college suite of 14 ppl and the game that brings all of us together is Halo 3. These guys play alot! They are totally willing to pay the cost of gold membership to play more.
    Last edited by fatlazyhomer; 12-02-2007 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatlazyhomer View Post

5. Backward-Compatibility. Not really essential for the 360 though it does have limited features. But considering the ridiculous PS2 library, it is a bit more useful on the PS3. But the problem with that is that the 40gb 400$ model doesnt have it(I think they might have a software emulation thing, but Im not sure)! Only the 80gb model has true backward compatibility. This is sort of a moot point for both to me since I have no reason to play last generation games, but for those of you hoping to buy a PS3/PS2-in-one, your gonna have to cough up for the premium package.
    the only ps3 that is completely BC is the 60 and 20 gig, the 80 uses emulation, while the 40 has none. the 60 and 20 (two launch versions) both had the ps2 emotion engine, they took it out of the 80 and 40 gig versions to save money.

Fold with what you have,
    Every Work Unit can make a difference.