Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is completely outrageous

Ok get this. I am in a philosophy course and the final consisted of creating the strongest argument possible (on a chosen issue) without using any logical fallacies, cool right? Well the professor noted that he'd suggest that we see him with a copy of the pre-written final. He wanted to check it over. Well I was confident enough in my ability, I corroborated my arguments with various sources, double checked the general soundness of the argument, I didn't feel I needed to go over it with him.

Then finals come along and I am completely prepared. I am then met with a bombshell. "For those of you who didn't bother to meet with me, don't bother you fail, I'm not going to take the time to read your paper" ???

Are you kidding me. If you're going to fail me, fail me because in my paper I used "some hobo down the street" as an academic source. Fail me because I contended america's economic downfall was facilitated by the creation of Ronald Mcdonald. Fail me because I used pokemon to illustrate the ills of communist China.

All joking aside, the point is don't ••••••• fail me because I didn't go to an *optional* meeting, with the professor that I feel I didn't need. Fail me because of the merits of the test itself. To judge the TEST based upon such an irrelevant outside factor is absolutely absurd

To illustrate this further, if you were enrolled in a math class, and the math teacher said "the finals going to be hard I suggest you meet with me" and you, knowing the material backwards and forwards, feel confident to ace it without getting direction from the professor. You then come to the final and he says, "ok for those of you who didn't meet with me, you fail." So even though you may have every problem right, perfectly, A+, even though you could have studied for hours - you fail because the professor decided to throw in a sudden,unforseen condition that completely negates your performance on the test.

Am I crazy? Is the professor not being unprofessional here? Opinions please
    Last edited by Computerwiz; 12-12-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Re: This is completely outrageous

you are correct in every way, he/she should have read your paper.

Suggesting a preview does not mean mandatory in my book. I'd file a complaint. My2c.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    Am I crazy? Is the professor not being unprofessional here? Opinions please
    Yes, you are crazy.

Your second question sounds like a line from an Austin Powers movie, with the double-negative and all.

Technically speaking, that is answering precisely the question as asked, no, the professor is indeed not being not unprofessional. LOL.

I'll file away your complaint under my ever-burgeoning "why I never studied philosophy" folder.

Regarding your "I didn't feel I needed to go over it with him" bit, oy, why take the chance?

Anyway, go see him in person with your gripe. From the perspective you've given here, you have a legitimate beef. Not to mention the odds of the situation changing are far, far higher dealing with him than dealing with us.

And seriously, good luck.

Call Al Sharpton.
    Black CoolCases D8000 2 x 120mm fans, RS480M2-IL, Athlon 64 3000+ Venice, 2 x 512 OCZ PC3500, 400W RaidMax PSU w/ 120mm fan. CPU, PSU, & case fans on black Sunbeam rheobus w/ LEDs removed.

Personally? Maybe I think the Prof is being abit hardcore without "warning" students about the outcome if they didnt get together with him as some condition. What student in his/her right mind would pass on a condition if they knew it meant F?
    But in fairness? I wasnt there. I didnt hear the conversation.

I think it was cruel what that professor did.

During my studies I never did have such a situation upon me.

It's clearly unacceptable to fail a person because of an optional meeting.

Speak up and make your case to your professor and to whoever is in charge of him if he doesn't respond.

What a shame that he fails people before a test.

Yes take it to him - no satisfaction take it to his boss and again if nessasary ~ you are correct !

You are very astute
    "Five senses; an incurably abstract intellect;
    a haphazardly selective memory;
    a set of preconceptions and assumptions
    so numerous that I can never examine more
    than a minority of them-never become conscious
    of them all.
    How much of total reality can such an apparatus let through?"

It depends on the context of the original "suggestion." I have experience with some people who feel that their "suggestions" are actually orders, and your professor may be one of those people.

Best bet is to confront the perpetrator and ask for an equitable resolution.

Lets assume that the suggestion was an order. Unless stated explicitly that it was needed to pass the final, I don't think it should have detracted from the grade I got on the final. I know you only hear my side of the story, but believe me, I've failed classes before, and had no complaints realizing it was my fault. This instance is different though

Consider this your first lesson in the working world: Your actual performance is typically secondary to your relationship with your superior.

Yes but your relationship with your boss is best when you know what he wants and surpass what he expects- then it does'nt matter if you get along personally but this usually will ensure it does

Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    Consider this your first lesson in the working world: Your actual performance is typically secondary to your relationship with your superior.
    of them all.

File the grevance
    of them all.

Quote Originally Posted by william tell View Post
    Yes but your relationship with your boss is best when you know what he wants and surpass what he expects- then it does'nt matter if you get along personally but this usually will ensure it does
    Yeah, good luck with that.

Hey Wiz,
    First I would like to say this sucks!
    Having said that let me give you my advise.
    Your response should depend on the professor in question. Your first appointment should be with the professor who failed you. Take your grievances to the source and act like an adult. (not that your aren't know but don't go run to mommy so to speak.) Make an another appointment with your adviser in your major. Let them know of your status and apprise them of the outcome. Your adviser can really solve a lot of problems for you. If you are a member of a fraternity speak with your fraternity adviser and your alumni adviser. (Yes you actually can get more than beer at a frat house.) You would be surprised at what happens when the alumni donations are brought into the equation. These are all options that do not publicly embarrass the professor in question. I think it is obvious that the ego of that professor is an issue. As Mostholycrerebus said welcome to the working world.
    BTW don't ever let your boss think you can do their job better. YOU WILL GET FIRED!
    "The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church"[Ferdinand Magellan]
    "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." [Albert Einstein]
    "With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."[Physicist and Nobel Laureate Steven Weinberg]