Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Harmony Remotes

Re: Harmony Remotes

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    just got a harmony one today and it's giving me a headache.

seems my theater system and hdtv are just weird, when i choose watch tv is should select aux for the theater system so i get audio coming out of the theater systems speakers, thing is the theater system must detect this automatically, so it sets it and then the harmony one switches it. the software does not allow you to alter this either.

the whn switching to watch a dvd it does something similar. it's all very anger inducing.

i end up having to hit the help button every time to fix the problem, generally fixing it on the first try, but still, you'd think for 200 bucks the remote would eventually figure it out and just do it for you.

sent off an email to logitech, hopefully they'll have a quick fix for me that i'm missing somewhere.
    You should be able to configure settings for the theatre so that it only turns the unit on, as opposed to turning it on and then switching input mode. I can't remember exactly where, but I had to manually add those functions for a couple of my devices, so at least for the software version I've been using, there is an option to add/remove settings like that.

I'll be setting up my new set-top-box tomorrow, so I'll try and track that option down for ya

Finally got my second 880 programmed for my main system downstairs. The only thing that I have to tweak is when using the guide for the sat. receiver I can`t scroll a page at a time. I`ll program that this week. No biggie. Wife loves the new remotes, especially the main system. Before she had to ask me to set it all up for her. Now she just has to press "Watch TV" for digital cable. And "Watch TV2" to watch the sat. She`s in heaven.

Infact I`m so Imressed by the remotes that I might pick up a third one for the master bedroom setup.
    Last edited by scruff35; 09-13-2008 at 01:18 PM.

ok, so i finally fingered it out.

after reading some reviews for my home theater in a box (i always like to read reviews on products i already own) i found out it has this vierra link option. on my LG tv this same thing is called Simplink.

basically what they do is they communicate between devices over the HDMI cable, this is an excellent technology if you don't have a fancy schmancy remote like us nerds. however if you do have one of these remotes it can cause you a big headache.

all i had to do was disable these options on both devices and now my activities work all the time every time.

before when switching inputs on the tv, the home theater would switch imputs as soon as it detected this switch, then the remote would have it switch again basically switching it back. my original solution was to have it switch a third time, this worked out, albeit retardedly, so long as i didn't choose an activiy with everything turned off. in that case i'd have to use the help button to switch inputs a 4th time.

i really think logitech should add this info to their FAQ and trouble shooting.

this is my first hdtv as well as home theater system and even after going over the manuals for both of these devices multiple times i didn't put 2 and 2 together until reading a review on my home theater. seems that if i managed to buy 2 devices with this technology without ever hearing of it others out there are bound to come across this problem.

the options may very well have been disabled by default, but me being me i go over every setting i can find and tend to enable anything that sounds cool whether i can figure out what it does or not.

i am now very satisfied with my remote.

only a couple problems really. like my tv doesn't let you cycle through aspects, instead you choose from a menu, so that makes the aspec buttons in activites useless, not logitechs fault of course. one thing that is their problem is that they have alot of commands for the devices that don't actually work at all, they really need to clean up their database.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

after about a week of usage and daily refinements of the activities and devices i use with the remote i've upgraded my experience from a 3 star to a 5 star. really loving this remote.

i just wish it had less lag with button presses, even with delays set to 0 my original directv remote is noticeably quicker with menu navigation. i contacted logitech on this matter and they say they updated my remote and it seems somewhat quicker now, but that could be all in my head. either way, small issue when compared to having to use 3-4 remotes instead of the ONE.

now if they make a new version with RF i'm gonna have to upgrade.

They do make an RF-enabling Harmony Wireless Extender that works with the 890 and 1000.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    They do make an RF-enabling Harmony Wireless Extender that works with the 890 and 1000.
    it'd be nice if that had something like that for the harmony one.

i'm assuming the extender picks up the RF signal from the 890 and 1000's and then sends out its own IR signal to whatever devices are in your cabinet?

sadly that wouldn't help much for the harmony one, or at all really.

if logitech did come out with an RF version similar to the harmony one i'd probably have to sell this remote and get that one, it'd especially be nice for initially turning devices one.

as it is right now i have to set my input-delay for my tv to 7500ms, so when i first turn things on i gotta point the remote at the tv for a good 7.5 seconds to make sure it switches inputs. with rf i could hit the button and not worry, of course i'd need that extender too since i believe the only device i have with built in RF is my directv hd reciever.

It does get a little complicated, doesn't it?
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    It does get a little complicated, doesn't it?
    extremely.

to be fair though, logitech pretty good job of making setting up these remotes pretty simple. i would like a more advanced way of setting them up over their current websetup, navigation can be a pain in some cases, something to supplement the current setup. however i love that it stores all your setup info on the web, the troubleshooting actually is quite compitent i've found, and if you email logitech about a problem they're quick to respond and update you remote for you.

twice i've sent off an email and within a day got a response that they changed the way my remote worked and i should update it. not sure if they updated my setup specifically or they went into their database and reworked the devices i use though.

the first time i mentioned in an earlier post in here, i actually fixed that problem myself before they could reply, and the second time was just about the remote being sluggish when navigating menus (which they seem to have tweaked a little bit, but it's still noticeably slower than the stock remote)