Question New HTPC Build - Case Recommendations

Well it's been quite a while since I've built a new PC, but last night, thanks partially to my brother in law, and Boxing Day sales, I decided to splurge and build myself a new (HT)PC.

Now I've pretty much got all the components bought, except for the HDD, which is minor, and the case (very important), which is why I'm here.

The following items will be going into HTPC:

Asus Maximus Formula motherboard
    HIS IceQ3 Radeon HD3850 Turbo (2 slot cooling solution)
    Intel Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core processor
    OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU
    OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz Platinum Edition 4GB (2x2GB)
    LG GGC-H20L Combo BluRay and HD DVD drive
    WDC WD5000AAKS (most likely purchase)

Running Vista Ultimate 64 Bit edition.

Now I would appreciate some recommendations on a case that's not too large that will fit the above components, and have room for possible expansion to crossfire down the road. Of course one of the most important aspects will be noise since this will be used for mostly movie watching (can retire the PS3 and 360 for BD/HD viewing), but I don't want to compromise cooling either as overclocking may eventually be a part of this system.

I was looking at maybe the LC17 Lascala from Silverstone, or maybe an NZXT Duet, but considering this is my first HTPC build ever, I really don't know what to look for.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Desktop PC
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.5 GHz
    Corsair H100 w/2x Scythe GT AP15
    16GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill Ripjaws-X (9-9-9-24-2N)
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning @ 1370/6568
    Crucial M4 256GB
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    LG GGC-H20L
    Pioneer BDR-205
    Seasonic M12D-850W
    Corsair Obsidian 650D
    Dell U2711

HTPC
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
    Intel E8500
    Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + MX-2
    4GB OCZ Platinum XTC 6400 (5-4-4-15)
    HIS Radeon HD4850 w/Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo
    WD 6400AAKS 640GB
    LG GGC-H20L BD/HD Combo drive
    Corsair HX520W PSU
    Silverstone Grandia GD01B-MXR w/2x Noctua NF-R8

Re: New HTPC Build - Case Recommendations

Anyone?

Desktop PC
    Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.5 GHz
    Corsair H100 w/2x Scythe GT AP15
    16GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill Ripjaws-X (9-9-9-24-2N)
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning @ 1370/6568
    Crucial M4 256GB
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    LG GGC-H20L
    Pioneer BDR-205
    Seasonic M12D-850W
    Corsair Obsidian 650D
    Dell U2711

HTPC
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R
    Intel E8500
    Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro + MX-2
    4GB OCZ Platinum XTC 6400 (5-4-4-15)
    HIS Radeon HD4850 w/Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo
    WD 6400AAKS 640GB
    LG GGC-H20L BD/HD Combo drive
    Corsair HX520W PSU
    Silverstone Grandia GD01B-MXR w/2x Noctua NF-R8

i have the L20 lascala..maybe slightly larger than the L17, for my htpc. love the lascala product to death...classy looking and very functional in terms of space and fan placement and such. one of things to really watch for with any htpc case is the height, especially if you are considering aftermarket fan solutions. i've had an antec overture 2 which was too low for most aftermarket heatsink solutions. i found exactly 1 that will work with that case. with my L20, i've found 2. a thermaltake typhoon will just fit height wise with about 1/2 an inch of clearance to the lid so doesn't allow for much room to pull in air to the case to blow over the components and cpu but worked ok and very quiet at any speed. i since have switched to an enzotech extreme..same principle (blows air down over board components and the cpu) but leaves about 2.5 inches of space to the top of the case and again, very quiet. the only thing i can hear from my system with a mild overclock (e6400 2.13 gig overclocked to 2.64) is the occasional clicking of my harddrives. the enzotech also comes with it's own slot fan speed control which is really nice. if you're not planning any overclocking or pushing hard on your quad, the stock heatsink should be sufficient and has tons of clearance. in terms of appearance, i have the black L20 amongst black and silver components on a black stand. looks very nice.

just checked out the size difference between the L17 and L20. both are the same height which is good news, i think. otherwise, the L17 is only 5mm smaller by width and depth so for all intents and purposes, same size. i have one from 90mm fan running in it (capable of holding 2 if i didn't have the vdf display) and 2 80mm fans in the back by the cpu. i am using noctua fans for the front and back and they are super quiet. there is also a place on the L20 for another fan to the right of the cpu heatsink, but the space to use it is too cramped except when running a stock hs in which case you could put another 90mm i think the size is, in that spot. for internal components, i have:

1 hd, 1 dvd burner, 2 pvr cards, 7900gs with aftermarket zalman 7900 cooling via variable speed fan. i have 3 other hd's, but i have them all external for ease of service, ease of transport to other machines in the house to watch recorded shows or movies (they serve as the drives for my pvrs and one is used to backup my os monthly) less cabling and less heat in the box.

Thanks for the info tenax... just wondering, what pvr cards are you using and are they HD capable? I would mind adding an HD PVR card into this new build, so then maybe I can get rid of my rental HDPVR from the cable co. Thanks!

i'm using 2 hauppauge 150s (not media center versions) for 3 years now and they work great. no, they are not hd capable as in my part of canada, we are nowhere near to getting over the air or digital cable HD programs..one day, but not soon from the looks of it. i tried the hauppauge 950 hvr usb stick which does both analog and hd..terrible product. severe audio lag and terrible picture quality. the one i keep reading about for over the air high def is the "hdhomerun". i spend a lot of time at the snapstream.com forums as a beyond tv user, and a lot of those guys know way more about hd than i do and the concensus seems to be the hdhomerun..here's a link if you want to find out more about it.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/10/30...iew-hdhomerun/

i would recommend staying away from any hauppauge usb tv tuner product..i had the pvr usb2 (supposed to be basically a pvr 150 card in an external box) terrible product. the hauppauge 500 (dual tuners on one card) seemed to have lots of bugs. the 150s are trusted and most recommended if you don't need hd or want in addition to hd for analog cable or digital set top box connection. i use one to record shows off my analogue channels and cable, the other can record anything that comes off my digital settop box (analog or digital speciality channels, as long as they aren't hd)

Just saying that it looks like I'll be going with the Silverstone Grandia GD01B-MXR. It's based off of the LC17, so it should be pretty nice, plus I like the remote and screen, makes it fit into my HT environment real well.

I am also building my first HTPC. I have all the internals up and running in an old case while I am waiting on my case. I have ordered a Thermaltake DH101, which I think looks extremely stylish and classy. Parts of my new pc:

Gigabyte P35-DS4
    Intel E6750
    Corsair Dominator 8500 2*1G
    HIS AIT Radeon 3870
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
    ThermalRight IFX-14
    ThermalRight HR-03
    Arctic Fan 9 92mm fan (for HR-03)
    Arctic Fan 8 80mm fan (for IFX-14 backside cooler)
    Scythe Slip Stream 120mm fan 1200RPM x 2 (for IFX-14)
    Western Digital 500GB - 5000AAKS
    ASUS DVD burner with lightscribe
    Thermaltake ToughPower 750W
    Logitech G15 keyboard
    Razer DeathAdder mouse

I have yet to install my heatsinks as I am waiting on my case, and I am a little concerned the IFX-14 will not fit on a) my motherboard due to the silent pipe and b) to a lesser extend not fit in case, though this is unlikely as case is 15cm tall.

I am currently considering which harddisk to get, the Samsung Spinpoing T166 500G (extremely quiet and cool) or the WD7500AAKS (good overall performing HDD).

If everything fits nicely, I will eventually overclock everything.

If anyone knows whether the IFX-14 fits the DS4, please let me know.

Good luck with your build.

if it's a rev 1.0, 2.0 or 2.1 board, it looks like it will fit fine fine..pretty new heatsink so you know now find any reports re: compatibility on it.

Cool Re: New HTPC Build - Case Recommendations

It fits, the IFX-14 that is, fits the DS4, How do I know? I tested it on the DS4 Rev. 2.0!!

Just found out that the IFX-14 will not fit the case that I bought so I will have to sell it off. I am currently trying to find a heatsink that will fit in 150mm (6inch) high case.

The two that have most tempted me are both down draft:

Thermaltake SI-128 SE
    Scythe Andy Samarai Master

According to the reviews on PCPer, the Thermaltake is better and the shop that I get my stuff stocks it so I will get the SI-128 along with a Scythe Slip Stream 1200rpm fan.