Ubuntu Server - with webmin

I haven't given up yet on Ubuntu Server for my fileserver/VMWare/FTP which I eventually want to inhabit my DMZ however, I'm still really struggling with JUST a CLI.

So my question is this - Is it more secure to go with the CLI and secured Webmin or stick with XUbuntu until I can feel comfortable with just CLI?

I'm using the current tutorial as a means to lockdown Webmin-
    http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...pid=29&page=12

I'm a fairly novice Linux user and just trying to figure out a good path to travel with this.

Thoughts?
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Re: Ubuntu Server - with webmin

Until you're 100% comfortable, I'd always stick with a GUI install. Once you have the box configured you can disable (switch to runlevel 3) or even uninstall the GUI if that's what you want.

I've been using Linux extensively since about 2001 and I still use GUI installs so it's nothing to be ashamed of I just still prefer a GUI text editor to vi or emacs

I think products like Ubuntu Server sometimes confuse newer members to the Linux community. Folks think they need it for a server - they don't. A server product in Linux speak is normally just a normal distro without the GUI. Any distro will act just as happily in desktop, laptop, server etc configuration as all the tools required are provided.
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 12-28-2007 at 01:41 PM.

I chose the server install because I really want a minimalist box with just a few roles I choose running (as opposed to a desktop install with a variety things running that I have to go and disable).

I have also been reading about installing/uninstalling the GUI so I might play with that some.

Thanks for giving me another angle to explore. Perhaps it is my Windows indoctrination caring over to the Linux world that I just never feel like anything is 'removed' after you tell it to 'remove' it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post
    I chose the server install because I really want a minimalist box with just a few roles I choose running (as opposed to a desktop install with a variety things running that I have to go and disable).

I have also been reading about installing/uninstalling the GUI so I might play with that some.

Thanks for giving me another angle to explore. Perhaps it is my Windows indoctrination caring over to the Linux world that I just never feel like anything is 'removed' after you tell it to 'remove' it.
    True - Windows never seems to completely remove anything That's something I found very refreshing going to Linux - the human readable plain text config files over Windows over complicated registry (IMHO).

I've found with Red Had based distro's that the RPM command allows you to completely remove packages of choice. I suspect Ubuntu has similar functionality, but you do need to watch out for intertwinded dependencies when removing stuff.

I tend not to worry too much these days over what gets installed wrt HD space - it's not like the old days installing Windows 3.1 on a 286 with a 20MB hard disk! Mind you, I've done dozens of Linux installs and I still don't think I have it right - I still end up disabling or removing stuff afterwards. The other approach is to go for a bare bones minimum install and then just manually add anything else you need using the online package management tools like apt-get (or yum for me). It's easy enough IF you know what you want to add.

Meant to mention, the quick way to boot to either runlevel 3 (no GUI) or runlevel 5 (with GUI) is to edit the following line in /etc/inittab

Code:
    id:5:initdefault:
    That's mine at runlevel 5 - just edit to id:3:initdefault: to boot to text mode by default, and no X windows or GUI will be loaded even if it's still installed on the box

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    That's mine at runlevel 5 - just edit to id:3:initdefault: to boot to text mode by default, and no X windows or GUI will be loaded even if it's still installed on the box
    Ahhhhhh, ok. so I can do my GUI stuff while I get the box configured... once that is set I can leave the GUI intact, change the runlevel to "industrial mode" and be good to go.

Then if for some reason if the need arises, I can go back, change to runlevel 5 and have the GUI back intact.

That sounds like the best of both worlds instead of installing/uninstalling the GUI. Do I have that right conceptually?

Yep, you got it

Personally, that's what I'd do. Try it out on your desktop to see in action

Thanks again Ned. I also played with the Webmin application a little more. I think I'm going to stick to the GUI solution we mentioned and avoid the Webmin.

The Webmin is easy to use for sure, but I don't think I would be learning Linux through it.... I would instead just be learning 'Webmin' and if something happened to 'Webmin' I would be completely lost.

Thanks again for the suggestions, this thread is case closed.

Yeah - I fully understand that argument. I've just set up a simple mail server - like you, did it from scratch as I really wanted to understand what I was doing. I've never played with any of the GUI tools like webmin or other control panels either.

In a previous job we did use Plesk, a professional control panel for hosting, and it was very nice, but as you correctly state it affords very little insight into the underlying system

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Quote Originally Posted by Gator650 View Post
    Thanks again Ned. I also played with the Webmin application a little more. I think I'm going to stick to the GUI solution we mentioned and avoid the Webmin.

The Webmin is easy to use for sure, but I don't think I would be learning Linux through it.... I would instead just be learning 'Webmin' and if something happened to 'Webmin' I would be completely lost.

Thanks again for the suggestions, this thread is case closed.
    You don't need X to run webmin.

On server I only install light-weight desktop such as Flux and limited X packages. What I need is a GUI browser assisting me searching technical document on Internet. Although I have certain experience on running text brower such as elinks, etc. I still prefer GUI browser for displaying graphics.

I'm sure near 99% Linux/Unix users came from Windows. I'm one of them. At the beginning I found it hard to run command lines w/o graphics. Now I walk away from GUI sticking to command lines in operating Linux/Unix box. It is only a habit.

B.R. and Happy New Year
    satimis

Welcome to the Linux forum Satimis!

And if you get used to working without even a simple GUI, there no longer any need for you to even be in the same room/building as your server. Just set up SSH and a few certificates and you can do nearly all your work from the comforts of your own desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    Welcome to the Linux forum Satimis!

And if you get used to working without even a simple GUI, there no longer any need for you to even be in the same room/building as your server. Just set up SSH and a few certificates and you can do nearly all your work from the comforts of your own desk.
    Hi Spankin Partier,

Agreed. We can do headless installation. In practical I won't do it, running 2 PCs to do one job. Unless on colo I have no alternative, but for remote admin only.

SSH is enough for regular works on Server.