Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CRAP... my power supply just died i think

that stupid ass automatic update crap kept asking me to restart my computer.. so i did, after the restart, i realised it was hanging up.. from what i believe was because my external HD was on.

i turned that HD off, then shut the computer off with the power button... after it turned off, nothing happens now, power button doesnt work.

there IS a light on on the back of the power supply, but no lights on the mobo, do you guys think this is the PSU?

thanks

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Re: CRAP... my power supply just died i think

oh yeah, are PSU's like universal?

my old computer was an HP, so if i get a PSU from my friend will everything plug in correctly? Im going to make a thread in the FAH forum, hopefully someone can lend me a spare PSU if this is the case

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

i looked it up, and this is the power supply that is compatible:

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/300-...300-12zcdr.php

Quote Originally Posted by pimp my ride View Post
    i looked it up, and this is the power supply that is compatible:

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/300-...300-12zcdr.php
    That sounds like it could be either the Mobo, or the PSU.

It's too hard to tell without having a spare to test.
    You can try clearing CMOS by either the jumper, and/or removing the battery, and see if that helps.
    Other things you can do is removing all non-essential components, like sound card, NIC, and any extra DIMMs, and see if it'll power up.
    Aslo if your board has onboard video, try booting up with that.
    Granted that performing the above tasks could get it to run again, but that still may indicate a PSU issue, it could be that there is too much drain on the PSU, and it can't handle what it used to.
    PSU's from manufacturers like HP, Dell, are usually about 250-300 watts, and don't put out much, and unfourtunaltey alot OEM's use proprietary PSU's, so only they can be used with their systems.

I don't know if HP uses proprietary PSUs for their standard ATX PCs

One thing I will add is that bad PSUs can cause a variety of issues, and at times can be difficult to diagnose.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

well, here is the exact PSU my computer has in it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817174026

so are they the same as other ones?

what are the chances of it being my mobo? it happened right after i shut it off with the button, then tried to turn it back on again.. but nothing

im gonna give my friend a call to see if the PSU is working, as my dad doesnt have his meter at home

well, here is the exact PSU my computer has in it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817174026

so are they the same as other ones?

what are the chances of it being my mobo? it happened right after i shut it off with the button, then tried to turn it back on again.. but nothing
    Failing to reboot after switch off is very typical of PSU failure. Power demand and hence voltage drop at start up is the most severe time for the device and if power is not fairly close to spec the MB will not boot.

Even with a meter its hard to test, its the voltage at the component during boot that is the issue, not the no load voltage assuming you trick the PSU to start.

See if you can borrow a spare ATX PSU for test purposes.
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 12-30-2007 at 07:16 PM.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

Quote Originally Posted by Britgeezer View Post
    Failing to reboot after switch off is very typical of PSU failure. Power demand and hence voltage drop at start up is the most severe time for the device and if power is not fairly close to spec the MB will not boot.

Even with a meter its hard to test, its the voltage at the component during boot that is the issue, not the no load voltage assuming you trick the PSU to start.

See if you can borrow a spare ATX PSU for test purposes.
    im not sure where to get one, unless my old gateway from 2001 has the same PSU

hey guys.. talked to a friend on the phone, and took a look at my gateway,, its a 20 pin connector, but im going to take the PSU out and hook it up to the HP, just to see if a light or fans turn on.. hopefully it works

Just hope its not your motherboard, I had to replace my motherboard back when I moved my computer a lot and it was always annoying.

thanks for your concern, but i just proved it is in fact the PSU, i installed the one from the computer in using now (20 pin) on the old one, and when i plugged it in, the computer powered up, i didnt leave it running for long though

i hope the little computer store up the street from me is open tommorw, hopefully i can pick up a PSU from him

can anyone recommend me a good brand? im going to be getting a used one.

also, what watts do you think i should get? my old one was a 300W. I fun FAH 24/7 so my CPU useage is at 100% at all times
    are there any good brands that i should look for?

thanks a bunch!

thanks for your concern, but i just proved it is in fact the PSU, i installed the one from the computer in using now (20 pin) on the old one, and when i plugged it in, the computer powered up, i didnt leave it running for long though

i hope the little computer store up the street from me is open tommorw, hopefully i can pick up a PSU from him

can anyone recommend me a good brand? im going to be getting a used one.

also, what watts do you think i should get? my old one was a 300W. I fun FAH 24/7 so my CPU useage is at 100% at all times
    are there any good brands that i should look for?

thanks a bunch!
    You will not have much choice being as its for an HP. Take the old one with you and go for a brand you know that is same size and config (not Antec, they had big issues a while back and used may be a risk) and the max watts you can get /afford.

Much cheaper on line if you can wait ...
    Last edited by Britgeezer; 12-31-2007 at 12:17 AM.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

i was thinking of this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371005

it has good ratings, and is only $20 when im done

i was thinking of this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371005

it has good ratings, and is only $20 when im done
    Be careful of what you get, as I've said before ALOT of OEM's use proprietary PSUs, and and if you get that, it could take a possible functional mobo, and fry it.

If your HP is a standard ATX, or micro ATX case you can get a cheap off the shelf mobo for your CPU, and an ordinary PSU to work for what is possibly cheaper than buying OEM replacements.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

take pics or something of the dead PSU's ATX connector on both sides, SHOWING the colors of the 24 wires and post them.. hell type it out in some organized way then we can see if it matches a standard ATX