WHat Distro would you recommend for this rig?

1.7 GHz P4 (williamette)
    512MB PC133 SDRAM

I'm going to be selling 3 of these on ebay, and 2 of them have XP Pro COAs, so I can include it, but the other COA was damaged, so I didn't feel confortable using it, so I took it off, and I'm just going to sell it with a linux distro.

I really like Fedora, but I don't know how well it runs on older hardware.

I'm just looking for a decent free OS that runs out of the box, that has decent support.

I figure that it'll come down to these

Kubuntu/Ubuntu
    Mepis
    PCLinuxOS
    Linspire

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Re: WHat Distro would you recommend for this rig?

Of course I'm prejudiced, but go with Mepis. The Mepis Lovers forum is better than most tech support from manufacturers.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Any modern distro will run fine on 512MB ram so take your pick.

Personally, as you're selling it, I'd go for Ubuntu as it's probably the best well known so maybe likely to attract more attention??

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Any modern distro will run fine on 512MB ram so take your pick.

Personally, as you're selling it, I'd go for Ubuntu as it's probably the best well known so maybe likely to attract more attention??
    That's not what I wanted to hear... I don't care for Ubuntu so much, Kubuntu is pretty nice though...

Maybe I'll just give the buyer an option.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    That's not what I wanted to hear... I don't care for Ubuntu so much, Kubuntu is pretty nice though...

Download the live CD's for each of the distros and include them with the computer. Let the buyer decide. The buyer gets to play with all the live CD's and if he picks one and installs it himself he'll be better off in the long run than just using a preinstalled OS.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post

What does it matter what you think - you're selling it, right? My thinking would be to make it as attractive to potential buyers as possible. Ubuntu is almost synonymous with Linux at present.

And yes, giving the buyer the option sounds good too

I alays liked RedHats distro's so Fedora was an easy fit for me, BUT.....

I hate the roll over of Fedora.

Ned pointed out CentOS and I gave it a try, Now my Favorite distro and the support is great.

--- Edit ---

Using V-5 on new rig but v-4 on my older system with P3 and 512mb ram, makes it fly
    Last edited by Trollby_IRON; 01-01-2008 at 12:19 PM.
    WWW/FORUM: IRON Phoenix Headquarters
    GAMING: War Hammer On-Line, Star Trek Online, Call Of Duty 4, IL2:Aces, and NWN 2
    Main Rig:
    Gateway M685 w/C2D T7200 - Geforce 7900 GS - 18" 1080p (Laptop)

Other Rigs:
    Chaintech VNF3-250, w/AMD64 3400+
    ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 w/AMD64 3200+ (HTPC)
    Chaintech 7NLI1 w/Barton 2500+ (sons PC)
    Gigabyte GA-7VKMP-P w/Athlon 1.4G (Backup system)
    HP MediaSmart EX495 (Home Server)

Why not install all of them!

Yeah prob best to give him an choice, an if he don't like any of them he can always go buy Windows.

Another vote for Ubuntu. The buyer doesn't really need you to offer a choice of free OS's. They're free... Set one up and tweak it so the user won't HAVE to mess with it unless they wish.

UBUNTU...
    Last edited by crjackson; 01-01-2008 at 04:13 PM.
    MSI K8N Neo4/SLI Platinum (3.11 BIOS)
    Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (Toledo) 2.6 GHz
    Corsair 850w Power Supply
    3 Sunon BB 80mm Case fans
    4.0 GB Crucial DDR
    2 x 74 GB WD740 Raptors SATA
    2 x 250 GB Hitachi SATA
    Pioneer DVR-115D
    Plextor 880SA
    nVidia - MSI 8800 GT OC
    Ubuntu 10.10

You'll get as many suggestions with that question as there are flavors of Linux. As Ned said....any should work great...so your focus should be on what would be appealing to the buyer. Today the best-known distro would be Ubuntu, and probably Fedora after that. Do a base install of the distro, make sure it's working, and don't worry about your personal preferences.

Newbie friendly is the most important thing in this case since you have no way to predict who buys it. No Linux distro is perfect.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Ubuntu is the only distro I have used that has worked flawless after install. So it is the one I recommend. I do like Suse and Fedora though but they run a little slower on older machines.

try a few live distros first, problem may be recognising the chipset on the m/b ...

if ubuntu works well, then flash up the desktop, with nicer colours and brighter borders...
    Poverty is owning a horse...
    I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory...