Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I give my buddy a copy of WinXP CD?

My buddy has a Dell computer running WinXP Pro. He asked me to reinstall the OS however he does not have the installation CD. Would it be OK to use my own CD and use he's Product Key?

Re: Can I give my buddy a copy of WinXP CD?

Yes, as long as the CD and key are both the same flavor - i.e., OEM, retail, etc.

Be aware that you will have to find drivers for the board,if you use a standard oem copy of XP. The Dell website will have most of them, but sometimes you gotta chase some, usually sound drivers.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

So it's OK to give him a copy of my disk just not my Product Key?

About the drivers.. If the machine is still bootable you can use Driver Magician or some such to back-up the drivers before you wipe the OS.
    By reading the preceding post you have agreed to the following PRLA(Post Reader License Agreement).
    Just my opinion,use at you own risk,no guaranty,no warranty,no liability,grain of salt, knock on wood,bla bla bla.

Quote Originally Posted by erwin1978 View Post
    So it's OK to give him a copy of my disk just not my Product Key?
    You would have to give the original oem disc, not a COPY of it. Copying MS software is a violation of the copyright laws. You can copy MS software, but only for your own use.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Copyright law permits you to make one BACKUP copy of any copyrighted material you purchase. You are only supposed to use this in case your original copy fails.

Can you give a copy to your friend and get away with it? Probably. Just make sure you get it back before the FBI investigates you. :P

That one section about copying materials you purchased rights to is a little foggy. Companies are always trying to make things that can't be copied, which violates the consumer's rights given by copyright laws. Consumers can use that section to bypass purchasing products by saying they used to own it but lost it.

I know M$ doesn't go through alot of trouble trying to copy protect windows. But I figures it was so people could slipstream updates.

I think that's it's legal as long as you provide no product key.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Personally, I don't think you should be telling everyone.
    Eat right. Stay fit. Die anyway.

Are you sure he doesn’t have a windows disk? With Dell they may simply have a “Recovery disk” that will set his system up just like it was when he received it so it may not look like a Windows XP disk. Also some Dell’s have a hidden partition with the recovery files on it.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Not really,it's considered casual copying ,which is considered piracy and illegal by Microsoft.You can, however, use your oem disc, and reload his system using his key. Would they know if you did copy yours and give it to him? Not reallyMost OEM pcs have the restore partition anyways and unless he REALLY porked his OS, you should be able to restore from that as wekll as make acopy from that,which is a better idea because it will contain all the drivers

Are you sure he doesn’t have a windows disk?

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie View Post
    Yes, as long as the CD and key are both the same flavor - i.e., OEM, retail, etc.
    Not from what I have read from Microsoft, every computer install must have one original CD and one COA sticker attached to the computer. You can't use one CD to install on different computers with different COA, even if the key does work. The only way that would be legal would be to give the friend the original CD.

Quote Originally Posted by supercat View Post
    Not from what I have read from Microsoft, every computer install must have one original CD and one COA sticker attached to the computer. You can't use one CD to install on different computers with different COA, even if the key does work. The only way that would be legal would be to give the friend the original CD.
    Sure you can. As long as each machine has its own COA, you can install with any disc that will accept the key on that COA. Note that I didn't say it was okay to give them a CD, just that you could use it to install the software. I use one CD for every OEM install of Windows (per flavor) that I perform. I give the customer his/her CD, and afix the COA, but there is no requirement that I use their CD for the install. I also have CDs (XP Home) for Dell and HP machines that do not require product keys.

In addition, it is not a requirement that each machine have both because both HP and Dell have shipped machines with the software installed and no CD at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie View Post
    I give the customer his/her CD, and afix the COA, but there is no requirement that I use their CD for the install.
    I am assuming they bought a copy when you say you give them their copy.

The reason all this came up is I bought several laptops at auction and I was under the impression that if there was a COA for 2000 pro I could install it using my CD. If you read this link
    it says that is illegal. What would be the best thing for me to do ?