Question What's the difference between these laptop computer companies?

There are many laptop companies out there. All of them sell their products at slightly different prices. So I was wondering, is the any difference in the the actual computer/quality in different laptops made by: Acer, Alienware, Asus, Averatec, Compal, Dell, Gateway, HP, Lenovo/IBM, LG, Sony, Toshiba, and other companies?

..For example, I know IBM's have this special software where we can do this special recovery if there is any virus that attacks it and it is know to be very stable. What about the other computer companies?

*Moderators, you can shift this thread somewhere else, if you find it more appropriate. thanks.

Re: What's the difference between these laptop computer companies?

The Lenovo thinkpad series are top notch laptops. They are very durable. Asus & MSI are also pretty good.

Most other companies are just a matter of a coin toss. I've seen equal amounts of Dells, compaqs, HP, Sony, etc. have notorious problems, such as bad solder joints from constant overheating and cooling. To the motherboards going AWOL.

A lot of them are made by the same ODM (but to different specifications set by the brand) FoxConn.

Just get one with a good warranty.

Lenovo is gonna be the best.. but they are a bit more expensive.

out of the brands you mentioned, i would buy a Lenovo, HP, or sony.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

I have had my Asus laptop (see specs in sig) for a few months and it's been rock solid. What's nice is Asus does not included a lot of bloatware that you need to uninstall. The laptop is made very well and I would recommend them to anyone.

Another vote for Asus. I've had my s96j for a year, and it's top notch.

I've got 4 ThinkPads (2 are Lenovos) excellent machines. My 1997 Model still works great. My 17" Alienware M5750 is very well built and is a very good gaming rig.
    Alienware(s)
    Area-51 5550 & Area-51 M5750
    Dell(s)
    8200, GX270, & GX280
    ThinkPads
    T61, R60, T20, & 760EL
    HP(s)
    Kayak XU800 & Vectra VL420

Another vote for Lenovo....
    As a second choice Dell Latitude's are pretty nice too.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by jshi21 View Post
    There are many laptop companies out there. All of them sell their products at slightly different prices. So I was wondering, is the any difference in the the actual computer/quality in different laptops made by: Acer, Alienware, Asus, Averatec, Compal, Dell, Gateway, HP, Lenovo/IBM, LG, Sony, Toshiba, and other companies?

..For example, I know IBM's have this special software where we can do this special recovery if there is any virus that attacks it and it is know to be very stable. What about the other computer companies?

*Moderators, you can shift this thread somewhere else, if you find it more appropriate. thanks.
    Most laptops come with recovery software that should do a good job. Typically the restore software will return the laptop to it's factory setup.

There's very little difference between laptops in terms of internal components. Most of brands of laptops are made by a handful of manufacturers such as Clevo, Compal and Quanta so the quality of one laptop compared to another that comes out of the same factory should be very similar. Just like how most of the desktop mainboards and VGA cards are made by an handful of ODM's (such as Foxconn and Sapphiretech). The physical differences are probably best defined by the chassis because the rest of the components are likely to be found in a broad range of laptops as opposed to belonging to one particular brand.

In terms of build quality, I would rate IBM/Lenovo as one of the best. ASUS, Dell, Sony and HP/Compaq would also be right up there.

The price between similar spec laptops is probably best defined by the features included in the package or paying for the brand name. Read the fine print on the components and warranty and it should be fairly easy to distinguish why one is cheaper than another.

It's also important to note that every now and again the market in your locality might be flooded with one or two particular models or ranges of laptops, meaning that the price of those laptops will buck the trend at a couple of hundred dollars less than laptops of the same spec.

IMHO, it should come down to what features and specs your money will buy you. It's unlikely that you're going to kill the laptop within it's expected lifetime. I'd buy a cheap ACER over a Lenovo any day of the week. It's going to do the same job. If money wasn't a factor, I'd go for an ASUS or a Lenovo.

Moved to the mobile forums - hopefully you'll get more help there

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~