Need Help Car PC

I'm looking to build a car PC mainly for: DVD player, GPS capability and having all my music in my car. Other uses may pop-up, i.e. getting a mobile broadband card or adding a wifi card to utilize wifi where I can, but they are not my focus right now.
    I was thinking a mini-tower but maybe someone can suggest something better that is small??

I would like to keep the cost of the PC to $400-$500. I think I could easily find some inexpensive deals, combos etc. to build it. However I am concerned about heating/cooling. I live in New Hampshire so there is a large temperature variation, zero to sometimes the 90s, however my car has a black interior and therefore the temperature gets well over 100 inside my car. Can I build a system that can withstand those temperatures (particularly when the PC is just sitting there in the car)?

Re: Need Help Car PC

Laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Laptop?
    I need the monitor in a different location than the PC...

Tablet!!! take a look at Fujitsu, they have models with transflective screens that make them very easy to see in a bright sunlight.
    I have used the Stylistic Lt-c500 with a passive/fingerable touchscreen for mp3 and gps(streets and trips) but at 500mhz it will not do DVD well. $150ish on e-bay

Right now I use a ST 4121 but it has an active digitizer/special pen only but has more dpi.

The main reasons I say tablet:
    portable, don't leave it in the cold/hot car, theft proof like taking your faceplate

multipurpose, full computer not winCE or some other embeded OS

built to be mobile, no cards to vibrate out. less drain on the car battery

expandable, mine has- pcmcia, usb, firewire,VGA,802.11b(onboard),modem,ethernet built in mic, headphone and mic ports.

outdoor readable, not being able to see the screen is like not even having one.

I never look at the screen while driving of course, that is dangerous. But squinting and tilting just see the display can get you hurt.

If tablets are just not your cup of tea, take a look at
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives...head/mini-itx/

they have a lot of links to Car PC kits and info

I have a mini-itx via epia box at 1ghz with XP and it runs dvds and anything this side of h.264 with the onboard vid.
    By reading the preceding post you have agreed to the following PRLA(Post Reader License Agreement).
    Just my opinion,use at you own risk,no guaranty,no warranty,no liability,grain of salt, knock on wood,bla bla bla.

If you want to go low power and less heat, the using a VIA system will be your choice. I live in Cali and it gets really hot here but have never had an issue with my CarPC.

You can still get a sunlight readable screen for the CarPC as well. It will cost a little more, but it's worth it.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks... Have some good things to consider here