Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New TV Card

New TV Card

What should I look for in a new TV card?

Have the new TV cards improved in the last 4 years?

Any help on specs or your prefered card please post.

My system specs show an 8000GTS 512 and Dell 27" monitor and I would like to watch TV on this setup.

Thanks,
    Butch

Re: New TV Card

You might want to PM a mod. and have your thread moved to the proper section. That section being the 'Small Form Factor/Home Theater PC/Mobile' which deals with this type of question. Below is a link to the section in of which I am refering to.

http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68
    Case Lian Li LanCool PC-K62 PSU Corsair HX850 Motherboard EVGA X58 E757 Video Card EVGA HD 570
    CPU Intel I7 930@3.5GHz Cooler CoolerMaster V8 Memory 6GB(2GB x 3) GEIL BLACK DRAGON PC3 12800
    DVD Drive LiteON DH401S DVD Burner LG GH22NS50 System Drive 60GB SSD Mushkin Callisto
    Additional Storage 300GB VelociRaptor 74GB Raptor Seagate 1.5TB Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Soundcard SB X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty PCI-E Headphones Razor Barracuda

NTSC/ATSC tuner, and clear QAM if you live in the US.

Hardware Mpeg2 encoding acceleration, and if possible, hardware HD acceleration.

Thanks Eldest but I deleted my post there for all the readings and no replies.
    I thought I'de give it a try here. I wouldn't want to double post in Forums.

Thanks mr_raider! I'll be sure to look for the specs you listed!

to answer your question about have they changed much in the past number of years? not really. there's more brands out there..the biggest development are hybrid dual tuner cards that can do quam or astc hd and have an analog input so your can record hd/sd at the same time. stay away from the tuner usb sticks like the hauppauge 950 hvr..not great picture, tends to have audio lag. cards in the case are the best bet for best performance by makers like hauppauge, saber and avermedia. there are now a few pci-e slot cards if slots are a consideration. i have a hybrid hauppauge 1800 hvr on the way that goes in the pci-e slot so i can free up one for my add on sound card which i miss. the hybrid hauppauge 1600 hvr is the same card but goes in a pci slot. i currently have 3 hauppauge pvr 150 single tuner cards. one gets all channels from my set top box..the other 2 get analog channels only. the playback software that comes with most tuner cards tends to be the weakest link. my choices for playback software are theatertek which uses the nvidia decoder and has a spectacular picture in my books..power dvd is quite often a popular choice as well.

I guess we really need some more info from you. Are you looking at Over the air, cable, SD, HD?
    What OS are you running?

It will be Cable

XP Pro

tenax,
    Thanks I'll look up and read about the cards and software you mention.

np...for cable you have a ton of options out there to consider and it will simply come down to cheapest you can get it for.

Tenax, tell us how it goes with 1800. I'm eyeing that one myself. I have the 950 USB for my laptop and it's pretty good for what it does.

matter of fact, i just installed it..no hd tv in our area or close to it..i might get a big ass antenna one day and see if i can pick up some montana hd but not there yet. installed the card. it was a snap..had to uninstall software for that and the pvr 150..and they cohabitate fine together. i've always been a fan of the pvr 150's pq with my nvidia card..i would say from a quick sampling the 1800 pq is the same or maybe marginally better. one cautionary note that maybe simple coincidence..here's what i did:

-uninstalled one of my pvr 150s from a pci slot. at the same time, put my lovely soundcard back in (thank gawd..no more onboard sound!)
    -while the case was open, of course put in the 1800 into a pci slot...
    -restarted, turned off onboard audio and booted into windows..no problems..start installing the software for my audio card..no problems..go to check email..no internet connection..what the hell? look in system..no onboard network device..check network connections..no network device. what the hell again. reboot to see if lan is enabled in the bios (HW/LAN should show up there) it's gone in my bios!!!! set my bios back to default..it's not there. reboot into windows..no dice..pull all devices..soundcard, both pvr cards, nothing..check the back of my lan port that is usually blipping orange for a gigabyte connection..no light at all...

so, did installing my 1800 kill the onboard lan on a board i've had for about 3 weeks, new? it would seem so, wouldn't it? that's rather alarming if so. or maybe it was just coincidence..i can't see how installing a pci-e device would kill my lan device, permanently..then again, there's not many pci-e cards for any use out there at this point sooooooooo..you tell me

i'm back up thanks to a sale on a wireless N usb adaptor i zipped out and picked up for 89 bucks on sale (better than the 120 regular price anyhew) and it's 1 ft away from my router so safe to say, 100% connection...still getting my 10mb/sec down..i'll be otay aside from i didn't buy the tuner card to spend another 89 bucks on a network adaptor.

now, that all being said...then end game was to get my add on soundcard back in..and in the end, for the 89 bucks...i'm back to the INCREDIBLE sound i've been missing and striving for since buying this board

Quote Originally Posted by tenax View Post
    matter of fact, i just installed it..no hd tv in our area or close to it..i might get a big ass antenna one day and see if i can pick up some montana hd but not there yet. installed the card. it was a snap..had to uninstall software for that and the pvr 150..and they cohabitate fine together. i've always been a fan of the pvr 150's pq with my nvidia card..i would say from a quick sampling the 1800 pq is the same or maybe marginally better. one cautionary note that maybe simple coincidence..here's what i did:

-uninstalled one of my pvr 150s from a pci slot. at the same time, put my lovely soundcard back in (thank gawd..no more onboard sound!)
    -while the case was open, of course put in the 1800 into a pci slot...
    -restarted, turned off onboard audio and booted into windows..no problems..start installing the software for my audio card..no problems..go to check email..no internet connection..what the hell? look in system..no onboard network device..check network connections..no network device. what the hell again. reboot to see if lan is enabled in the bios (HW/LAN should show up there) it's gone in my bios!!!! set my bios back to default..it's not there. reboot into windows..no dice..pull all devices..soundcard, both pvr cards, nothing..check the back of my lan port that is usually blipping orange for a gigabyte connection..no light at all...

so, did installing my 1800 kill the onboard lan on a board i've had for about 3 weeks, new? it would seem so, wouldn't it? that's rather alarming if so. or maybe it was just coincidence..i can't see how installing a pci-e device would kill my lan device, permanently..then again, there's not many pci-e cards for any use out there at this point sooooooooo..you tell me

i'm back up thanks to a sale on a wireless N usb adaptor i zipped out and picked up for 89 bucks on sale (better than the 120 regular price anyhew) and it's 1 ft away from my router so safe to say, 100% connection...still getting my 10mb/sec down..i'll be otay aside from i didn't buy the tuner card to spend another 89 bucks on a network adaptor.

now, that all being said...then end game was to get my add on soundcard back in..and in the end, for the 89 bucks...i'm back to the INCREDIBLE sound i've been missing and striving for since buying this board

Check the manual to see if any of the PCI slots are shared with onboard devices. The soundcard in the PCI slot may have caused the bios to turn your onboard networking off.

considered that..couldn't find any info in manual on that. that's part of the reason why i pulled the soundcard and other pvr in even of conflict..looked at my irqs before and after and no issues there. only other thing i can think is that somehow a trace onboard got damaged when i was moving cards around. the system was powered down, plug pulled, no static..weirdest hardware thing i've seen that i can't explain.

I'll look into it. I can get half a dozen NY/VT ATSC channels from where I live, so it might be owrth it.

yep, the card continues to work perfect today..no bugs.