Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: "Change" is the buzzword for every candidate so ...

I must have missed something. I could swear Edwards was talking about very specific groups of lobbyists (not "all" lobbyists") and that he was claiming he wouldn't let them into the White House if he were elected, nothing about rejecting campaign donations.

Am I thinking about another claim of Edwards here?

I can't find anything on that. I've never heard of it. And I think he'd have quite the audacity celebrating his anti-corporate, anti-lobby mentality if he was.

America NEEDS change... for a dollar. I mean come on, it's tanking to the euro, British Pound, etc.! It's need change!

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    I can't find anything on that. I've never heard of it. And I think he'd have quite the audacity celebrating his anti-corporate, anti-lobby mentality if he was.
    From his website:
    Washington, Iowa – Today, Senator John Edwards said that he will ban anyone who has worked as a corporate lobbyist or has lobbied for a foreign government from working in an Edwards Administration. Edwards is proud to be the only presidential candidate who has never taken a dime from any Political Action Committee or Washington lobbyist, because he's determined to be a voice for regular families like the ones he grew up with.

"I want to make an announcement today," Edwards said at an event in Washington, Iowa. "No corporate lobbyists or anyone who has lobbied for a foreign government will work in my White House. We will not replace corporate Republicans with corporate Democrats. I hear people argue that the way that you can get things done is to sit at a table with drug companies, insurance companies, oil companies, and negotiate with them and somehow they will voluntarily give away their power. I think this is a complete fantasy.
    http://www.johnedwards.com/news/pres...-lobbyist-ban/

I think his mistake is in thinking that its his job to remove power from other people while insisting he won't talk to them. Sounds kinda like a wannabe dictator, no?

About the specifics, he says, "corporate lobbyists or anyone who has lobbied for a foreign government", meaning lobbyists who represent enviro-wienies, teachers' unions, UAW, AFL-CIO, planned parenthood and Algorythms will likely get the red carpet treatment.

No thanks.
    Last edited by Dutchcedar; 01-10-2008 at 12:16 AM.

Yes that's his stance, banning all corporate lobbyists is hardly just a "specific" group. Banning money from the pharmaceutical industry would be a specific group

Its a group and its specific, however large it may be. I'd be impressed if he would bar all the lobbyists and their relatives... that would cover 90% of Congress.
    Last edited by Dutchcedar; 01-10-2008 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Its a group and its specific, however large it may be. I'd be impressed if he would bar all the lobbyists and their relatives... that would cover 90% of Congress.
    Only when hell freezes over, which is if congress itself freezes over.

Ya it's not a big deal at all banning all corporate lobbyists. It's not like he was the only mainstream presidential candidate with the guts...oh wait he is.

Ya it's not a big deal at all banning all corporate lobbyists. It's not like he was the only mainstream presidential candidate with the guts...oh wait he is.
    Guts?

That's how you define guts?

A person who claims he'll dictate to corporations while refusing to talk to them?

I would define that as a novice chicken sh*t, afraid to face his adversaries, with aspirations to be a ruler, not a leader.

^^What's the difference between banning all corporate lobbyists and banning all union lobbyists? One side of the aisle or the other, is all it seems to me. All Edwards is saying is he would turn a deaf ear to his opponents and listen only to his supporters. Sounds suspiciously like what most Dems say about the Bush crowd. Yeah, that's a step forward.

Guts?

A person who claims he'll dictate to corporations while refusing to talk to them?

I would define that as a novice chicken sh*t, afraid to face his adversaries, with aspirations to be a ruler, not a leader.

Guts?

How dense can you be?? You take his insistence on not negotiating with the corporations as being "chicken shit" as opposed to well reasoned strategy. If you think you're going to succeed in getting corporations to change there practices at the expense of profit then you are so completely lost, and delusional on this subject that you are seriously not worth debating. I've seriously never seen such a interpretation of an issue. It's not even at all reasonable.

Wiz, lemme know when you're a millionaire. You'll change your tune. I did.
    Nuke em'.

You take his insistence on not negotiating with the corporations as being "chicken shit" as opposed to well reasoned strategy.
    Absolutely.

He supports discussions with North Korea and Iran... but not American Corporations. That's absurd.

Absolutely.

He supports discussions with North Korea and Iran... but not American Corporations. That's absurd.
    Corporations and governments are not the same thing. Not even close.

And I'm not quite sure how anything he's talking about shows he's "chicken shit". Might be a lot of negative things, but chicken isn't one of them.