How To:Install Raid mode after installing Windows

I followed "HOWTO: enable AHCI mode after installing Windows" it worked perfectly! Thank you!

Now what I need is to have Raid mode installed in the same manner.
    I want to add a second Raptor drive for Raid0 without having to reinstall the Op system and all my programs.
    To do this I intend to use Acronis True Image to image my current install, build the Raid0 array, install the image to the Raid0 array. Acronis has a CD that will supposedly grab the image from one of my other Hard Drives and install it on the Raid array or a single boot drive.
    I think this will work if I can get all Raid drivers installed on the single Raptor I have now before the image is made.
    The Hard Drives used will be identical.
    The Intel Matrix Storage Manager is already installed from the AHCI install. Does that also mean the necessary Raid software and drivers are as well?

Anyone?

Bop
    Last edited by Bopster; 01-13-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    Intel Core2Duo E6850('Conroe') @ 3.6
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 2.0 F11 Bios
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    OCZ EL DDR2 PC2-8800 4GB @1080mhz
    150GB WD Raptor 10,000RPM x2 Raid0
    300GB Maxtor 7200rpm x2
    500GB WD 5000AAKS
    500GB WD My Book Premium
    Sapphire HD3870 @ 850/2542
    E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor 1616m
    PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad PSU
    Antec SX830 Modded
    Dual Booting Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows Vista Ultimate
    Viewsonic VX2255wmb x2

Re: How To:Install Raid mode after installing Windows

You have to get the RAID controller installed and driver installed in the OS first. Simply turning on the RAID controller will do this. But if the current drive is already on the same controller, you'll first need to move the OS to a drive on a different controller, like IDE. Acronis will do this for you, but obviously you'll need a separate drive on a different controller. Once the OS is operating on the second controller, then install the RAID controller and driver in Windows, then again image the volume over to the new RAID array.

As always, be prepared for failure with a complete backup strategy.

What I need is a way to install the Raid drivers to my existing Windows install. I have heard that it is possible. Perhaps with a registry entry like the way the AHCI drivers were installed.

Anyone?
    Last edited by Bopster; 01-14-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    300GB Maxtor 7200rpm x2
    500GB WD 5000AAKS
    500GB WD My Book Premium
    Antec SX830 Modded
    Viewsonic VX2255wmb x2

You could do that, but it doesn't alter the fact that you still need to start with a blank RAID array. If the RAID controller has more than 2 ports, a third port could be used for the 3rd drive while the array is set up on the 1st 2 ports.

The safest method will be to actually install the controller and driver in Windoz, so you can see that it's really there and functioning.

The controller is there. It showed up when I did the AHCI add in the "How to add AHCI" post.
    What I need to do is be sure the Raid drivers are installed now.
    Then I can image it....save image to one of my other 3 HD's...reformat existing Raptor by hooking it up to one of my other machines.....install my reformated existing Raptor and the new Raptor in a fresh Raid0 array......install image to Raid0 array by using Acronis.
    I know I could just wipe my existing drive (everything is already backed up to a 500GB My Book premium just in case)...install fresh Raid0 array.......reinstall everything one by one.....image it when done.....back-up image.....use it to reinstall if one of the drives ever dies.
    I am trying to avoid 3 days of rebuilding everything to where it is now.
    Bottom line is I should have installed Raid controller and drivers intially....which in the future I will do. But I was one of those that said "aww heck I will never want Raid installed" and now I do

Thanks

Bop
    300GB Maxtor 7200rpm x2
    500GB WD 5000AAKS
    500GB WD My Book Premium
    Antec SX830 Modded
    Viewsonic VX2255wmb x2

I got it to work, whew.
    I am not sure if its worth the time/trouble vs a clean install but there is something to be said for winning the battle.
    Here is how it worked:
    1.Do AHCI reg entry from "How to add AHCI" post.
    2.Make sure Intel Storage Manager is then installed.
    3.Make Acronis image of C drive (where C is boot drive).
    4.Save image to a HD not part of intended Raid0 array.
    5.Make Acronis recovery boot CD.
    6.Install 2 hard drives for new Raid array (existing HD plus new one that is exact match or 2 matching new ones).
    7.Go to bios and turn on Raid controller, put CD/DVD as first boot device.
    8.Put Acronis boot CD in CD drive.
    9.Configue new Raid array of you choice.
    10.Boot to CD, follow directions for full drive recovery.
    11.Reboot
    Here is where it gets tricky. Go back into Bios to stop boot sequence. Replace Acronis Cd with XP install CD. Boot to XP install CD (it has to be one with SP2 slipstreamed).
    F6 to install Raid drivers from floppy. Continue like you are going to do new install. It will then "see" your Acronis XP recovery install. Choose the "repair existing XP" option.
    It will reinstall XP as if is was fresh install.
    Do windows updates as required.
    When it is finished you will have your computer back.

Long way around I know but it did work.
    Last edited by Bopster; 01-16-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
    300GB Maxtor 7200rpm x2
    500GB WD 5000AAKS
    500GB WD My Book Premium
    Antec SX830 Modded
    Viewsonic VX2255wmb x2

You use a slipstreamed XP CD, because you don't have a floppy drive. I have a floppy, could i do the same steps you did (for the RAID), but use drivers from the floppy together with the original XP CD? Or do i realy need a slipstreamed CD?

Thanks Bopster, Your message got me through the RAID issue. I followed every idea I could find on many boards and could not get RAID active on my DP35DP running Windows 2003 Server with the SATA boot drive connected to the controller (the AHCI process worked but not the RAID). I followed a process similar to your's to final success:
    1) Back up EVERYTHING!
    2) Used EASEUS Disk Copy to create a bootable copy of the OS disk (full disk, not just partition) on an old IDE Drive that I had sitting on the shelf (Had to use EASEUS partitioning tools to reduce the size of the partition to fit - Server Edition of EASEUS Partition Master was used). Make note of the drive letter assignment of the new IDE drive. My MBO has only 1 IDE interface so I had to disconnect my DVD drives and connect it to the IDE HD.
    3) Shut down and disconnected all SATA drives
    4) Booted to BIOS and changed to RAID - Boot sequence changed automatically to new IDE drive since it was now the only drive
    5) Booted to OS on IDE drive - but could not sign on due to the drive assignment (sign on would simply terminate and return to the logon screen)
    6) Remotely changed drive assignment on IDE drive in the registry to the original installed value of the SATA drive using the MS KB article 223188 at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/ (reassigned original SATA drive to an open value and then assigned IDE drive to the original value)
    7) Rebooted, signed in and canceled the new hardware drive installation (it found the RAID hardware.)
    8) Installed Intel RST (latest version). Now my SCSI/RAID device was fully functional
    9) Connected 2 Samsung SATA drives and booted to RAID menu using CTRL-I
    10) Created my RAID 1 Volume with the two drives.
    11) Booted to OS and formatted the new RAID 1 drive - verified everything was working
    12) Reinstalled original SATA OS drive with matching drive for the RAID
    13) Rebooted to RAID interface (CTRL-I) and created a new system volume using RAID 1
    13) Rebooted to OS and used EASEUS Disk Copy to copy IDE OS drive back to the RAID 1 system volume.
    14) Shut down and removed temporary IDE Boot Drive.
    15) Booted to BIOS and changed the boot sequence to the new system volume
    16) Signed on and verified correct operation on the new RAID volume - for some reason, I did not have to reassign the drive letters in the registry this time
    17) Disconnected IDE OS Drive and reconnected DVD drives.
    18) Smile after a week of head banging. Now up and running on two RAID 1 arrays - one for System and one for Data. And since I made the switch, I can now hot plug my eSATA backup drive on the external connector. Bonus because eSATA is WAY faster than USB 2.0.