View Poll Results: Project of the Month, or F1 Racing?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Project of the Month

2 18.18%
  • F1 Racing

9 81.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: POLL: Project of the Month, or F1 Racing?

Ok, Big Red. What are all the projects that look good for advancement?

Maybe post a list of all of acheivable ones. And we will take it from there. We`ll see what members take which project. And the other members that are undesided, can fill the holes?

Poll ends today. So it looks like F1 style crunching is the deal.

I'm in...Might need a little instruction though.

frosty

Scruff asked for it, so here are my picks for our best chance for advance ment. Just in case you missed it, here is the link to our team stats.

http://www.myboinc.com/FormulaBoinc/...rogs&year=2008

I'll list heses in the order that I think are our best choices:

Sudoku We're #4 with 13100 and the tpo team has 316000. This is a good stable project. The WU's run about 20 hours and will terminate at that point even if they aren't finished. You're limited to 7 WU's at a time. Average credit on a stock quad is about 2500 per day.

Ufluids We're #5 with 38000 and the top team has 91000. For the most part it is pretty stable but will have an ocassional outage.

Sztaki We're 19 with 21000 and the top team has 138000. Once again it is a stable project with plenty of work.

Milkyway We're 23 with 19000 and the top team has 1600000. That number is so high because BoincAustrailia did a one month drive by. Still lots of time to make points. Fairly stable with an ocassional outage. The administrator responds quickly and keeps everyone up to date. Limited to 20 WU's at a time that last no more than 15 minutes. Lots of fun to watch a quad crunch through these.

Enigma We're #8 with 158000 and the top team has 737000. I don't know anything about how this projects behaves.

POEM We're # 32 with 20000 and the top team has 1450000.

Depspid We're # 18 with 3800 and the top team has 54700. This project comes and goes. It does not have a steady supply of work but it will run at the same time as other projects. Just make sure you have Flat Rate internet access.

Superlink@technion We're #21 with 11600 ant the top team has 106.

Lattice project We're #39 with 5000 and the top team has 159000.

LHC@home we're not on the list as we have no credits this year and the top team has 51500.

RND@home we've got 0 credit and the top team has 6700. I joined this one on Friday and have yet to get a single WU. There is no message section on their website and no server status. If they ever get it working it might be a choice. For now I'm leaving 1 machine attached just to see what happens.

Hopefully poeple will fill in the blank spots on projects that I have no experience with.

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    POEM We're # 32 with 20000 and the top team has 1450000.
    May I just add that Poem@home also has in place a 7 work units at a time restriction.(They are looking at lifting said restriction soon).
    Can be annoying if machines not always online----in that scenario I would recommend keeping a secondary project at the ready.

I`m on Sudoku right now(running solo right now). Need just a couple more rigs here, and we`ll see where we flaten out for numbers.

Who wants uFluids?

Q: Do you mean F1 racing as in formula Boinc?

Yup, that's what I thought.
    Looks like fun but will always be the same old massive teams at the top.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by scruff35 View Post
    I`m on Sudoku right now(running solo right now). Need just a couple more rigs here, and we`ll see where we flaten out for numbers.

Who wants uFluids?
    Looks like uFluids is having problems A) assigning enough WUs, B) completing WUs, and C) getting full use of the CPU when a WU does get completed.

Check out their forums 'nStuff.

From Superlink's Forum Mod:
    I believe, we'll finally fix the progress bar with the next pile of wus. So tentatively the "insane progress" stuff will be all resolved. The running priority of Superlink is definitely an issue to fix immediately, thanks a lot for your warning.
    The Superlink application is known to be (to say the least) imperfect. We're also working on optimizing its code, but this doesn't seem to be accomplished as soon as we'd want to.

LHC isn't available... the site itself I mean. WUs? Who knows.

Lattice is up... I may do that one...
    Last edited by Fluff n Stuff; 01-27-2008 at 10:15 PM.

^^Seconded on the uFluids comments. I had nothing but grief last time I tried running it around four months ago. WUs were horribly inconsistent, credit unpredictable and almost invariably lower than other projects.

If you really, really want to attack along this path, IMHO the thing you'd need to truly succeed is to get folks off the grand daddy that started DC at this forum: SETI. I'm not saying anyone should leave it nor that you'd have luck convincing people, but even with the project of the month going SETI continues to draw the most points. With all projects scored equally in this race, dumping the biggest projects is the surest path to success.

Personally I'm still gonna be bopping around projects looking to score 100K in each. If I can do that and it meshes with the goals of F1, great.

{scurries off the finish out Spinhenge and Cosmology}

Just let me know where to start

As for the monkee,I'm limited because of slow dialup....but wait...they just hooked up WiFi highspeed just south of my very rural location. Have a call put in and waiting,so my connection might be cured. Have always had all the hardware to go wireless on all my systems and finally might get to put them to work. This will be like a dream come true and save me countless hours a week. Then can help out on more F1
    Spankinmonkee
    Running 5 Dual Quads
    90+ Ghz

Quote Originally Posted by Dimetre View Post
    Just let me know where to start
    As of right now, it doesn't really matter where you start. Untill we get everyone settled into projects, we won't know where we have excess capacity and where we need help. So just pick one that appeals to you.

This looks like it might be fun and it's a little too early here for a beer yet

Since this is based on RAC, should maybe we get a few projects to #8 for the money shot first? Some of them look like it could be done with only a machine or three. Would shoot us up a few pegs in a couple of days.