Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: Beneficial environmental/economic ideas

^^True enough. Cant argue the size difference.
    Yet if each state solved "its" issue so far as mass transit....think about trains and the like? Perhaps the problem wouldnt seem so impossible.
    Take a bus. Tak a train. Sooner or later the aggregate deceased demand for gas/etc
    should have an impact.
    The oil issue wont be solved in DC.
    It will be solved by all of us "wanting" to get off the ME Drug.

Seems to me that pressing the automakers to boost mileage is sorta silly.
    It skirts the real problem. How we get to work etc is foolish.
    Thousands of cars with just the driver.
    We have to change our behaviour and good trains and bus systems would help alot.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-06-2008 at 01:32 AM.

This has turned into one of my favorite threads.

This is pretty interesting. And with no government subsidies

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...U5MWFjY2IxM2Q=

http://www.examiner.com/a-1338274~Restaurant_Recycles_More_Than_Its_Menu.html?cid=rss-Business

Not that the concept of "frugal" is anything new...but some fair points.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-13-2008 at 03:56 PM.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/0...a-red-sea.html

April 14, 2008 -- Kneeling by the sparkling waters of the Red Sea, Ahmed Shengabay presses sand carefully over a mangrove seed.

"When this grows, it will provide protection for fish and food for my goats," Ahmed said smiling, waving at a long and thick line of tall trees already reaching high into the sky.

"We've planted all this already," the fisherman-farmer added proudly, the mangroves lining the shore beside his small desert village of Hirgigo...
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/04...r-all-electri/

The Mustang EVX and HST Shelby Cobra EVX prove that electric cars can be environmentally friendly as well as winners on the track and in the looks department. While designed for different purposes, both cars are true zero emission vehicles and feature 300-horsepower electric motors using lithium iron phosphate battery packs developed by K2 Energy Solutions. With 1000 ft/lbs of torque @ 0 rpm, they have the capability to do 0-60 in less than four seconds and a range of over 100 miles.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/04...r-all-electri/

The Mustang EVX and HST Shelby Cobra EVX prove that electric cars can be environmentally friendly as well as winners on the track and in the looks department. While designed for different purposes, both cars are true zero emission vehicles and feature 300-horsepower electric motors using lithium iron phosphate battery packs developed by K2 Energy Solutions. With 1000 ft/lbs of torque @ 0 rpm, they have the capability to do 0-60 in less than four seconds and a range of over 100 miles.

Huh? A hybrid mustang? WIth 300 HP???

What is amazing is the potential demonstrated.^^
    Not many folks are gonna run out and drop 125K
    but it seems at least some problems associated
    with battery power are being overcome.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Here is the Title Sheet to a 100 page report called "Index of Leading Environmental Indicators - 2008 Report". Note that it is written by a man who's politics lean Conservative... I post this here as a resource, a jumping off point as it were, for anybody who wishes to get one overview of the Environment's condition today. The download link is at the bottom of the page.

The report has been given a short commentary by the Author on Powerline, if you want a hint at what's inside without wading through 100 pages...

Good thinking. If they are saving fuel as they suggest? Less gook in the air I should think.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/05/02...ef=mpstoryview

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Good thinking. If they are saving fuel as they suggest? Less gook in the air I should think.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/05/02...ef=mpstoryview
    It is sad though that the commercial airline industry, having had absolutely no speed improvements for their planes in the last 40+ years, is actually getting even slower still. I wish I knew of a chart that lists the average time it takes to get between say, New York and LA by commercial airline service, for the last 40 years.

Thank God the rest of industry and transportation doesn't move along at the same pace as commercial airlines! We'd all have to have a separate building to house our "computers" and we'd be trying to underclock them to save electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    It is sad though that the commercial airline industry, having had absolutely no speed improvements for their planes in the last 40+ years, is actually getting even slower still. I wish I knew of a chart that lists the average time it takes to get between say, New York and LA by commercial airline service, for the last 40 years.

Thank God the rest of industry and transportation doesn't move along at the same pace as commercial airlines! We'd all have to have a separate building to house our "computers" and we'd be trying to underclock them to save electricity.
    Well, there's that dastardly thing called the sound barrier and now, the increased cost of fuel.

Besides, they're little more than winged buses these days. I used to log 100 -200,000 miles a year on those things and it was kinda fun. Now, its a miserable experience of being human cattle... no thanks.

^But it's still cheaper and qiucker than driving, depending on your destination.

And example:
    To fly from Baltimore, MD, to Buffalo would cost me approx $250 in gas/tolls, and than being wore out from a 7hr drive
    It's sligltly less than $200 to fly.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

I'd rather drive than fly most of the time.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/05/02/g...een/index.html

GREENSBURG, Kansas (CNN) -- There are still piles of bricks and rubble on countless streets in Greensburg, Kansas, a year after a tornado demolished more than 90 percent of the town.

Yet what is happening in the city's rebuilding process may not only re-invent Greensburg but provide a model for "green" building everywhere.

Just a week after the deadly tornado hit May 4, 2007, a similar idea sparked in the mayor, a representative from the governor's office and a nonprofit expert from a nearby town.

The concept: If the whole town had to be rebuilt anyway, why not be bold and build it as a global example of conservation, energy efficiency and creativity?...
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.