Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'll be next door

I'm switching to Boinc. It's much easier to deal with. F@H is getting too complicated for me, and I'm getting tired of trying to keep up. (GPU's, Linux, Playstations.......ect) Best part is boinc will run as a service.

Re: I'll be next door

I thought you could straddle these difficulties ...

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post

I call "Uncle" old Friend.

Something has changed in the past few weeks .. known good and stable systems have suddenly become problematic. When not running SMP there is no problem. I think SMP has simply been in beta mode too long, needs more TLC than it should (or in my case did) and with power costs spiralling we don't want hung units generating all the cost and no WU's.

I'm not stopping, but I will continue to scale back if WU's continue to create trouble and there is no end to beta.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

Hate to see you go, Jon!!

I'm fold'n onward

Quote Originally Posted by Britgeezer View Post
    Something has changed in the past few weeks .. known good and stable systems have suddenly become problematic. When not running SMP there is no problem. I think SMP has simply been in beta mode too long, needs more TLC than it should (or in my case did) and with power costs spiralling we don't want hung units generating all the cost and no WU's.

I'm not stopping, but I will continue to scale back if WU's continue to create trouble and there is no end to beta.

I am Folding SMP (Windy version) on my 2 dual-cores.

The only thing I 've seen is a downward trend in the PPD, probably through tougher p2653's than those I got in December (2007).

No EUE's so far (being none), so I don't understand why you should have troubles these last weeks OR it would have to be that your rigs aren't 101 % stable to perform these latest WU's ...

I put the link there because of what I 've seen in my own Stats lately.
    I 've even stopped and restarted Aff. Changer to test things out concerning these lowering PPD's.
    Also talked to Jester about those.

He hasn't reported extra problems either and he 's running 2 Quads at the moment ...

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

I've had a couple of EUE's recently but they ended late in the work so the PPD loss wasn't that big. No problems here otherwise, running unix SMP.

Quote Originally Posted by frosty22 View Post
    I call "Uncle" old Friend.
    Did someone say

UNCLE???
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

No EUE's so far (being none), so I don't understand why you should have troubles these last weeks OR it would have to be that your rigs aren't 101 % stable to perform these latest WU's ...
    I changed over to WHS and have been using the network for other activities, strange thing is the WHS server has been 100% OK even with OC its other systems that have just stopped or caused random reboots. It always seems to be related to the SMP need to access the network on a regular basis.

Who knows, if I find an interesting error log I'll post it. I did a shutdown and reboot of all all systems today and its now 6 hours without issues, although less DL traffic as well.
    the Britgeezer

My Heat otherwise a smoke free home

I'm still crunching, Just not for Stanford. I'm across the bay at Berkeley now. In fact, I've cranked up all my rigs again. Working for that Cure. Who's to say F@H is any better than Boinc? It sure is a sweet and easy set up, compared to F@H. If I had known how easy it was, I would have switched eons ago.

Finally admitting defeat huh ?
    Nah, seriously, whatever you need to do to stay productive,
    I'm sure the Boinc teams will welcome the extra production you can provide, don't be a stranger here though.....
    Fold with what you have,
    Every Work Unit can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Finally admitting defeat huh ?
    Nah, seriously, whatever you need to do to stay productive,
    I'm sure the Boinc teams will welcome the extra production you can provide, don't be a stranger here though.....
    Thanks Jester....Yep, you outclassed me. Keep your eyes in the mirror though, if Standford ever cleans up their act, who knows........

I looked for little green men once for quite a while. When Boinc came out I flew over to the Fold. And haven't looked back. If the Fold becomes to much I would move to weather prediction.

Deep space mapping as I liked to call it. Didn't show any promise that I could see for mankind.

Have a BLAST. I know they will love all your power.
    GO VIKES!

You can still protein fold with boinc. The results just go to Berk or one of the other institutions. If I ever get back into DC I will move to Boinc. As others have said, a year with a Beta client is just ridiculous. It takes a lot to baby sit 4 quads with F@H

Here is a list of some of the current BOINC Projects with url's for more information.

"Boinc, it's not just for little green men anymore!"
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!