Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XP to X2 CPU. Worth it?

My system is listed in my sig. Don't want to spend a load of cash and want to keep my X1950pro. Will I see a noticible/vast improvement in games with 2 gigs of DDR2 800 memory and a 64X2 4400+ brisbane CPU? I plan on using the ASROCK AM2NF3-VSTA motherboard to retain an AGP slot. All can be had for under $200 which is all I really have to spend at the moment.
    Thanks,
    John

Re: XP to X2 CPU. Worth it?

My setup was very close to what you have and I upgraded to an Athlon64 4000+ (socket 939 single core). I'm still running standard DDR and the same video as you and I noticed a difference in gaming. Once i add another gig of memory, the difference will become even more pronounced.

yes, the additional memory, combined with the dual core cpu would be a nice boost for your system

as far as a superpi comparison, you'll get about a 25% boost over your current system right out of the box. also the 4400 brisbane is capable of 26-2700mhz on retail amd cooler for additional improvement.

the weak part of your plan is your psu. may or may not cut it.

ud

Powmax 480w PS
    Yes, it is named that for a reason

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

You could also go with a ASRock 4CoreDualSATA + Intel Core 2 Duo. With that motherboard you could even keep your existing RAM and switch to DDR2 later (is so cheap though, so might not bother to wait as 2Gigs of RAM does quite often already make a difference to 1).

Thanks for the input guys. Now that you mention it a new PS is probably a good idea. I got the Powmax as an inexpensive replacement for a 350 Antec when I bought a 6800gt and SATA drive. Should a 500w-550w dual line PS be enough for this? I've been out of the upgrade race for a couple of years and that's practically a life time in computer years.
    I looked into the Intel path but I've always had AMD rigs (my first was a Nexgen) and have had no issues with them. That plus the fact that an Intel CPU is three time the cost of an AMD helps me make the decision to stay with AMD.
    John

Cool. Newegg has a system wattage calculator. Kinda takes the guesswrk right out of it. thought I was going to have to search thru Tomshardware and Anandtech.
    john

Good man, AMD is the way to enlightenment. Well, part of the path !

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    Yes, it is named that for a reason
    xxxmax is like stuffing a sock in your pants!

ud

Funny thing. I did a project comparison at futuremark's ORB and found a system that is basically the upgrade I'm planning. While his overall score was 5086 to my 4170 the FPS's for the graphics and HDR tests were all within 1/100th of a frame difference. And his was the highest X1950 pro AGP score in the 2.7Ghz to 3Ghz range. It would seem that the AGP interface is probably the bottleneck in his system. After that comparison I'm wondering if my card is maxed out and I won't see any appreciable difference.

Resolved Re: XP to X2 CPU. Worth it?

Maybe the GPU but not the AGP is the bottleneck. However, overall the x2 computer would blow the Barton away. That being said, Shrek III looks great on my old socket A that I just upgraded to Ubuntu. Long live the Barton

Just did another check and found that the fastest single X1950pro system whether AGP or PCIe with any CPU at any speed is within 3 FPS of what I have now is making me rethink this upgrade.
    john

What games do you like ?

I primarily play MS Flight Simulator 9 (MSFS2004) and some combat flight sims on the desktop. I have tons of scenery and aircraft add-ons and like to have everything maxed ingame with 4Xaa and 8xan turned on. With everything maxed the framerate will drop as low as 10FPS. There's a new FS9 add-on for about $60 that will make it (graphically) very much on par with FS-X. Now that I have a laptop for everything else I only need 1024x768 as I plan to hook my projector back up to my system.
    John