Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Re: Is Reagan conservatism dead?

Lets see...fully paid health care by employer Gone....medicare shot by liberal billing practices... wages held at 1979 standard...Pensions gone... Social Security hanging tough but gasping...one scandal after another...
    Reagonecononics alive...You Bet!!!! Alive and well!!!
    Xion Solaris Case
    Asus M4A785-M
    Athlon X2 6400 BE 3.2 Gig
    Zerotherm btf90 cpu cooler
    Ocz Gold 1024x2/512x2 ram
    Onboard Radeon HD4200
    120 gig OCZ ssd
    40 gig intel g2 ssd
    Onboard VIA 8 channel sound
    Fortron 500w 2.2
    Asus lightscribe dvd burner
    Win7 home premium 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by nova6 View Post
    Lets see...fully paid health care by employer Gone
    And that has what to do with Reagan?

....medicare shot by liberal billing practices...

wages held at 1979 standard...
    Standard of living is higher than ever.

Pensions gone...

Social Security hanging tough but gasping...

one scandal after another...

Seems to me most of your observations apply to both parties and politics in general as opposed to Reagan.

Reagan wasn't all that conservative. He supported big spending.

But to answer the question, conservatism is dead, or rather it's still in the hearts of those not in control.

Mccain is an awfully liberal person, he wouldn't just be an awful president, he's simply an awful liberal person. and to tell you the honest to God truth, i wish he had died a long time ago. he's a liar, and a fraud, and a cheater, and a thief and I don't like him, and at a time when hillary clinton is about to become president, he's not someone who's going to save the world. In fact, he's only contributing to this country's demise. big spending, war supporting, pro-abortion, maybe this was a vast left-wing conspiracy. meaning, independents or democrats voted him the nominee b/c they knew he was going to lose/allow hillary clinton to be president. Because he knows damn good and well that he's simply handing the election to hillary.

i think mccain may make giuliani his running mate, but it doesn't really matter who his running mate is, he's going to lose in a landslide.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    A good example of the standard of living enjoyed by the lifetime social service leeches here in the US. This is from another post...The woman in this article is a breeder whose daughter and granddaughter are following her footsteps. Have 3~7 kids you have no way to support then complain that the ebil gubberment is not doing enough to support ya.

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Reagen conservatisim dead?
    I sure hope it dies

Ron was hired to play the biggest role of his life and he said and did whatever the gop told him. To begin ron fired the air traffic controllers and by doing so he opened the door for the striker replacement law. Tha law almost killed the unions and the union workers and their contracts held up wages for even the non-union workers in the country.
    Reagans trickle down theory didn't do much trickling...After him we got got george -bill - george and bill being a dixiecrat ..he wasn't much for shoring up the middle class. The last 28 years have seen slash and burn buyouts, corporate greed at levels reminisant of the robber barons from the 20's and 30's,
    Xion Solaris Case
    Asus M4A785-M
    Athlon X2 6400 BE 3.2 Gig
    Zerotherm btf90 cpu cooler
    Ocz Gold 1024x2/512x2 ram
    Onboard Radeon HD4200
    120 gig OCZ ssd
    40 gig intel g2 ssd
    Onboard VIA 8 channel sound
    Fortron 500w 2.2
    Asus lightscribe dvd burner
    Win7 home premium 64 bit

OK, after seeing the primary results tonight, maybe conservatism is dead.
    Brian

gotta bump this to bring it back up to the top, considering the "leftist" views of McCain that many here at TLR have been mentioning in other threads

But remember, McCain is painting himself as a "foot soldier" of the Reagan revolution.
    Brian

Is Reagan conservatism dead?
    In my opinion it’s in serious trouble.

If Obama wins the presidency I think we’ll have a good indication about 2 ˝ years from now when the first congressional election under his administration is held. If the republicans run some authentic conservatives and they do well there’s still hope.

Well in a way, I feel bad for conservatives because they have been hijacked by wolves in sheep's clothing....Elected a guy who claimed to be a compassionate conservative, and he turned out to be neither. Now you've got a country rebelling against conservatism because of the false prophet.

When you look back on the last ten years....what have the so-called conservatives actually accomplished?

Wasted time on an impeachment hearing (the ploy to get into power), worst terrorist attack in history on their watch, highest national debt, budget deficits as far as the eye can see, quagmire in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But at least they lowered taxes....in time of war....

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Well in a way, I feel bad for conservatives because they have been hijacked by wolves in sheep's clothing....Elected a guy who claimed to be a compassionate conservative, and he turned out to be neither. Now you've got a country rebelling against conservatism because of the false prophet.
    While GWB has hardly been ideal.. he has not been the devil he's painted as.

When you look back on the last ten years....what have the so-called conservatives actually accomplished?

Wasted time on an impeachment hearing (the ploy to get into power)
    Wasted? I seem to recall bubba lying to a grand jury.. getting busted cold. The whole mess could have been avoided had he the ability to simply tell the truth. This played less a part in repugs getting power than ALGORE's un-electability IMHO. Same story with Kerry.

worst terrorist attack in history on their watch
    Comon BD.. you know better. Wanna discuss the numerous opportunities Clinton had to get Osama and passed?

highest national debt, budget deficits as far as the eye can see
    The deficit was higher when bubba left office than when he was sworn in. Conservatives are hardly enamored by the increases in spending under GWB.. but it's simply a DC trend no one seems able to kick.

quagmire in Iraq
    Quagmire?? Thats soo 2005. Seriously.. do you still see Iraq this way despite all the progress?

and Afghanistan.
    I thought this was the war both parties supported? Or are we still trying to say Iraq was a "distraction" from the real terrorists? Not to be confused with the terrorists we are fighting and beating in Iraq?

But at least they lowered taxes....in time of war....
    What has one.. got to do with the other taxes/war? Know what I see from lowered taxes?

News Reports Avoid Mentioning Record U.S. April Tax Receipts

Think doing the "fair" thing and raising capitol gains as Bamma suggests despite the numbers saying it will have a negative effect is gonna help??
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

While GWB has hardly been ideal.. he has not been the devil he's painted as.
    He won't be missed by either party....lets put it that way

Wasted? I seem to recall bubba lying to a grand jury.. getting busted cold. The whole mess could have been avoided had he the ability to simply tell the truth. This played less a part in repugs getting power than ALGORE's un-electability IMHO. Same story with Kerry.
    I don't even want to resurrect the argument....do you think the taxpayer money that was spent to uncover this was well spent? Do you think the money spent to investigate Libby and Cheney was well spent?

Comon BD.. you know better. Wanna discuss the numerous opportunities Clinton had to get Osama and passed?
    We'll never agree on this either, but suffice it to say that GWB's administration was less than vigilant on the threats that were in front of their eyes when they took office.

The deficit was higher when bubba left office than when he was sworn in. Conservatives are hardly enamored by the increases in spending under GWB.. but it's simply a DC trend no one seems able to kick.
    Bubba had a 10 year projected budget surplus when he left office....and you are making my point for me....comparing Bush to Clinton should be an apples to oranges comparison, not apples to apples....if Bush truly is a conservative.

Quagmire?? Thats soo 2005. Seriously.. do you still see Iraq this way despite all the progress?
    I'll take back the comment about Afghanistan, though it could still be debated. What word should I use instead of quagmire? Clusterf%^k? Irreconcilable situation?

I thought this was the war both parties supported? Or are we still trying to say Iraq was a "distraction" from the real terrorists? Not to be confused with the terrorists we are fighting and beating in Iraq?
    Opening a can of worms here.....whats the difference between a terrorist and an insurgent? My guess would be that the "terrorists" we are killing in Iraq weren't in Iraq to begin with....well at least not all or even most of them.

What has one.. got to do with the other taxes/war? Know what I see from lowered taxes?

News Reports Avoid Mentioning Record U.S. April Tax Receipts

Think doing the "fair" thing and raising capitol gains as Bamma suggests despite the numbers saying it will have a negative effect is gonna help??
    I don't ever pretend to have any understanding about how taxes/economics work because I have little to no background. I do know that when you are running up your credit card to pay for groceries you are probably not budgeting your money correctly.

He won't be missed by either party....lets put it that way
    I can agree even with his numerous flaws.. I'd still take him to Gore or Kerry any day of the week. And I know many on both sides of the isle who agree.

I don't even want to resurrect the argument....do you think the taxpayer money that was spent to uncover this was well spent? Do you think the money spent to investigate Libby and Cheney was well spent?
    Aside from the obvious fact that Bubba was the president and found guilty of a flat out lie. Vs. Cheney who has been found guilty of nothing and Libby who simply remembered things differently than reporters who among themselves could not get the story straight?

We'll never agree on this either, but suffice it to say that GWB's administration was less than vigilant on the threats that were in front of their eyes when they took office.
    I simply disagree it "suffices" to say anything at all without the grossest stretch of the imagination. That an attack on the US that was planned and put in motion years before he took office... by a guy the previous administration had several opportunities to take out but did not... is somehow HIS fault for being "less than vigilant".

Bubba had a 10 year projected budget surplus when he left office....and you are making my point for me....comparing Bush to Clinton should be an apples to oranges comparison, not apples to apples....if Bush truly is a conservative.
    No.. I am not. Again.. not defending GWB.. but to hear you lauding Bubba is kinda funny. In fact.. you are making my point for me. Even with the economy booming.. bubba was not able reduce the deficit. Don't you find it a little strange to be boasting about a "projected" surplus when bubba was unable to reduce the deficit at all under his 8 year administration with a swinging economy?

Did those "projections" factor in the already slowing economy when bubba left office.. 9/11.. Katrina.. the subprime mess the Dimocrats created by whining incessantly to loosen lending practices until we found ourselves giving mortgages to people with no ability to pay them off and a slew of other notable items? No. Thats why we do not rely on yesterdays "projections" when faced with today's reality.

I'll take back the comment about Afghanistan, though it could still be debated. What word should I use instead of quagmire? Clusterf%^k? Irreconcilable situation?
    I'd use a more accurate description.. like war. It really needs no modifiers IMHO.

Opening a can of worms here.....whats the difference between a terrorist and an insurgent? My guess would be that the "terrorists" we are killing in Iraq weren't in Iraq to begin with....well at least not all or even most of them.
    When the "insurgents" are getting their marching orders.. funding and material support from a terrorist organization(AQ).. I'd say the difference is negligible. And not to get on to the debate of whether or not they were there prior to the invasion. When most of the "terrorists" are foreign fighters.. and to be sure.. we are fighting AQ in Iraq now.. how does it make any sense at all to pull out to go somewhere else to fight them?

I don't ever pretend to have any understanding about how taxes/economics work because I have little to no background. I do know that when you are running up your credit card to pay for groceries you are probably not budgeting your money correctly.
    No argument from me there. But using that same analogy.. under Obama's plan.. he'd take your ability to make money away to be "fair".. and run that same credit card to pay for everything... including the stuff you were previously paying cash for.

-The Gipper