Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Re: Is Reagan conservatism dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    ^^^ Did a Republican misrepresent the dear and beloved abortion factory and set you into a tizzy?
    No more than you mis-representing planned parenthood as an abortion factory Dutch...so in other words, yeah he completely mis-represented it.

To be honest, I didn't watch your clip. I'm on mountain dial-up. So I'm guessing here.
    Keep guessing. Keven will be sure to applaud your position of guesstimation

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Kind of like when you applauded Obama for his zero-content "response" to the Ryan budget a few weeks ago?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    No more than you mis-representing planned parenthood as an abortion factory Dutch...so in other words, yeah he completely mis-represented it.
    Let's do the math... and see if 3% of Planned Parenthood's services go to abortions.

Planned Parenthood said that it “provided nearly 11.4 million medical services for 3 million people” in 2009. Its 2011 fact sheet says it performed 332,278 abortion procedures in 2009. That would mean that roughly one out of every 10 clients received an abortion.

That means that IF 3% of their schtick goes to abortions, their other procedures must be something like 3-400% more costly than abortions. I mean, if 10% of their work represents 3% of their costs, their other work must be super expensive in comparison, no?

What are their other procedures? They claim that 18% of their work is cancer screening, but they don't do mammography. Tit squeezers with referral pads aplenty.

Testing and treating STD's. I don't know, maybe clearing up the clap is more expensive than sucking out a fetus.

Pap smears. Stirrups are kinda pricey.

Birth control pills. Well, writing a prescription can't be expensive, but if ya furnish the pills... maybe that could add up.

But it doesn't add up. It doesn't make sense. Or its an abortion factory. I think its fair to say that if you vacuum out about 1,000 fetuses daily, you've achieved factory status.
    My guess wasn't far from the mark. But thanks for the otocesque, "you didn't see it so you must be wrong" schtick.

Its an old meme already, that Planned Parenthood is something other than a place to get your kid aborted, free birth control pills, or your STD cleared up. Its really some kinda super-duper women's healthcare center that we need to fund because some women can't seem to find an ObGyn in the freakin' phone book.

Nah, it simply doesn't add up.

I think I'll start Planned Penishood... get some federal funding and help all the guys with woody malfunctions.
    Last edited by Dutchcedar; 05-25-2011 at 04:39 PM.

I thought graphic sex education in kindergarten and first grade was supposed to end the need for on demand abortion.

I thought giving 3rd graders condoms and training them in oral sex was supposed to stop unwanted pregnancy.

What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    I thought graphic sex education in kindergarten and first grade was supposed to end the need for on demand abortion.

I thought giving 3rd graders condoms and training them in oral sex was supposed to stop unwanted pregnancy.

What happened?
    California is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post

What happened?
    apparently the kids thought that those were instructional videos and that the condoms went on cucumbers.
    Brian

Which part of Reagan conservatism do you want back?

The 12 tax increases?

The tripling of the deficit?

Or the growing of government?
    Fox News watchers are less informed - The Proof

I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by liteman View Post

The 12 tax increases?

Hmm, sounds like the current administration. The more things "change"....
    Beware liberals with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by liteman View Post

The 12 tax increases?

5% unemployment and the Dow Jones being up 1,700 points?

We can start there.

not to mention that his policies brought down the USSR and beat back "stagflation"
    Brian

And ended the Iran hostage situation barely after he sat down in the chair.

But the thing that impressed me most about him in the first election was that he didn't need to mud sling all the time to get where he was. It wasn't a matter of voting against Carter that year- who didn't have the nerve to deal with conflict.

The man was a gentleman who had the guts to end conflicts and raise interest rates.

That said, he also didn't have today's problems and likely didn't realize what damage some of the policies he let get implemented would do.

The failure of Bush/Obama ki$$-all-big-banker-a$$ policy has done way too much damage. Between debt, outsourcing and the trade deficit, it has cut the legs out from under any hope of a Reagan-style recovery AFAICT.

No, this one is going to require not only a Reagan style conservative, but one that also has the same guts to deal with the real conflicts at hand.
    Last edited by AeroSim; 05-26-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Fox News watchers are less informed - The Proof

I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by AeroSim View Post
    And ended the Iran hostage situation barely after he sat down in the chair.

Reagan had absolutely nothing to do with that. The deal was brokered by Carter's staff, but the Iranians just hung onto the hostages until he was gone - by minutes - simply to annoy him.

And he had almost nothing to do with bringing down the Iron Curtain either: that was Gorbachev. If Gorbachev had wanted to play the hard man he could have hung on to the Eastern Bloc for many years. He simply chose to let it go. Reagan just made a good job of taking the credit from people who didn't look too closely.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Reagan had absolutely nothing to do with that. The deal was brokered by Carter's staff, but the Iranians just hung onto the hostages until he was gone - by minutes - simply to annoy him.

And he had almost nothing to do with bringing down the Iron Curtain either: that was Gorbachev. If Gorbachev had wanted to play the hard man he could have hung on to the Eastern Bloc for many years. He simply chose to let it go. Reagan just made a good job of taking the credit from people who didn't look too closely.

M
    Oh the faith is takes to believe those statements.

Of course it wouldn't have anything to do with what Reagan might have done if they hadn't.

Of course the collapse of the USSR also was the work of one man- it didn't have anything to do with broken self-consumed system we happened to outlast.
    "We say in our platform that we believe that the right to coin money and issue money is a function of government....

Those who are opposed to this proposition tell us that the issue of paper money is a function of the bank and that the government ought to go out of the banking business. I stand with Jefferson rather than with them, and tell them, as he did, that the issue of money is a function of the government and that the banks should go out of the governing business."

William Jennings Bryan.