Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mods, please help, changes in Internet Options

Guys,
    I'm seeing cross-eyed. Saturday night I downloaded some pretty malicious trojans and am still knee deep with another forum trying to get it cleaned up.

Part of the instruction today was 'Reconfigure the Internet Explorer with these Settings, when the scan is finished.'
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/btw/ie/ie-opts.htm

Not a good thing. For the most part, I was able to follow along but examples are not of IE7. I never could find Java under Security tab.

And after I was through with changes, I couldn't access yahoo mail and no telling what else. I then changed settings to a basic 'medium high' and then 'medium' and still can't access yahoo.

Error message is: Unable to load mail javascript files.

Note: under privacy tab it was recommended to choose ADVANCE and then 'block 1st and 3rd party cookies'.

Seems pretty drastic - yes??

Can someone walk me through some basic, secure settings for the general, privacy and security tabs?

That is where I made changes. I really want to get to the bottom of trojan problem but not sure I will be able to access sites I need to get to and also, concerned I've set things too low.

add: I just found site with recommended settings for ie7. Would appreciate opinions on recommendations: http://surfthenetsafely.com/ieseczone8.htm

I am not sure it will address all changes I made earlier.
    Much thanks as always,
    Carol
    Last edited by cjinca; 02-11-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: add

Re: Mods, please help, changes in Internet Options

i followed the recommended settings on above site. no yahoo mail.
    now no yahoo homepage.

i had gone in and erased all history, temp files, cookies, etc.

yahoo said to make a few changes in script and i did. didn't help.

All is well. Downloaded Firefox. Moving right along...

Java is located at Advanced section of IE Options panel. Look far right and select tab/scroll down.

Back in abit with other settings. Also for Firefox...which was a good move IMO

And sure. Lots of guys disable Java. For me and what I look at?
    I leave it alone. I dont visit anything beyond news sites and a few tech sites.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 02-12-2008 at 12:37 PM.

You obviously see the Firefox OPtions found in Tools.

Here is what I have done

General:
    check
    auto downloads [it keeps updates current]
    warn if conflict with add ons

Content
    check all
    uncheck Java if you feel paranoid

Security
    check first three items

Ill buzz thru IE settings later

Morning Jim, and thanks!

I am currently on another instruction to create a limited user account and set passwords on admin and second account.

More questions - I set up a limited user acct. but then of course none of documents were there. So after reading up on this, I got them to shared folder and now have access to them. But for example, a message popped up right after opening LA (limited acct) stating that acct didn't have enough priveleges to applications and wouldn't be able to work in acct. I am wondering just how limited it is. If I am to avoid doing online stuff in Admin acct, how do I also conduct ebay, transfring photos, etc in LA?

Should LA have admin priveleges or is that more of a safety risk?

Anyone can chime in on this... I am on hold on trojan clean and working off another computer at the moment. Trying to do what I can to be ready in the future.

Also, very much want good virus protection. I was running free applications of Avast, AVG, and running spybot and AdAware regulary.

At this point in trojan clean up, etc. I have deleted avast, AVG is not active and have downloaded AntiVir. This may very well get deleted in the cleanup process as well. I don't know. But I do want a reliable, upgraded AV...

yikes! had I been willing to pay for it before, maybe I wouldn't be in this mess...

My advice, when things get this bad it’s time to wipe the drive and re install. Now I know that’s a pain in the backside but believe me it’s worth it. I would suggest that once you have your system clean enough to remove old Data Files you do a complete re-install. You may also find your system will perform a LOT better afterwards.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

hmmm... considering how deep we are in to the cleaning process, I will at least allow process completion to take place... Ruby at The SpyKiller has invested much time thus far.
    Thanks for your input though... have you had this happen before?

Any answers to my other questions?

Quote Originally Posted by cjinca View Post
    More questions - I set up a limited user acct. but then of course none of documents were there. So after reading up on this, I got them to shared folder and now have access to them. But for example, a message popped up right after opening LA (limited acct) stating that acct didn't have enough priveleges to applications and wouldn't be able to work in acct. I am wondering just how limited it is. If I am to avoid doing online stuff in Admin acct, how do I also conduct ebay, transfring photos, etc in LA?
    Although limited accounts in Windows are arguably more secure, I often question their practicality because of the restrictions. IMHO, a Windows PC can be set up to be fairly secure using all administrator-level accounts. Make sure that all accounts have long alphanumeric passwords as a start.

Should LA have admin priveleges or is that more of a safety risk?
    The concept behind Limited Accounts is so that if some malicious software does get in under the Limited Account, it will have
    limited access to the PC and theoretically, less chance of infection because it can't get to many of the files. So no, LA's shouldn't have Admin access With Windows, I personally feel that this is a bit of a farce because many current-day infections can slip straight past the Limited Account and infect the PC. Secondly, intermediate to advanced users are likely to feel constrained by using limited accounts and finally, it's extremely difficult to clean a limited account without first elevating it to an administrator-level account. Just my opinion though - and that one goes against the grain of most recognised/accepted security advice.

Anyone can chime in on this... I am on hold on trojan clean and working off another computer at the moment. Trying to do what I can to be ready in the future.
    First of all I'd like to point you to our Spyware, Viruses and Trojans Sticky - a comprehensive guide to securing your PC. Some of the links are outdated, but I'd like to add that using both a hardware and a software firewall would go a long way to securing your PC. Software firewalls (like Comodo) give you control over inbound and outbound traffic and a hardware firewall with all ports set on stealth will help protect against port scans by simply ignoring unsolicited traffic. If you have a router, jump onto www.grc.com and head to ShieldsUp - do a scan on All Service Ports for a preliminary test on your router's security. With a software firewall, you can usually see which ports an application is trying to use. If you're unsure of whether to allow/block that activity, check out IANA's Port assignments and also GRC's port listing.

Also, very much want good virus protection. I was running free applications of Avast, AVG, and running spybot and AdAware regulary.

At this point in trojan clean up, etc. I have deleted avast, AVG is not active and have downloaded AntiVir. This may very well get deleted in the cleanup process as well. I don't know. But I do want a reliable, upgraded AV...
    Personally I find the Pro version of AVG to be more effective than the Free version. It might be time to invest in a paid antivirus program. There are a few links in that sticky post I linked to. I can't recommend one single AV program because experiences with viruses can vary from one part of the world to the next. Kaspersky is quite popular. I also hold AVG and Avast! in high esteem. The catch is that ultimately none of them are 100% secure. If you've been caught out with malware a few times in the past, you should be investigating which sites you're visiting and try to determine which one(s) might be infected.

Another good habit to get into is frequently looking at the Processes list in Task Manager and the Registry Run options. It doesn't take long before you start to recognise processes that are out of place, and once you reach that stage it's pretty easy to work out where you might have been infected, in turn it then becomes easier to determine how to avoid infection next time
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 02-12-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Sure appreciate your post, Mjolnir.

Man, do I agree with you on finding the LU account a pain... but, I'm a computer dummy so I really do want input.

As for long alpha-num passwords, are you entering this each time or using some type of program that enters it for you? I created two today and don't even think they're all that difficult but they're a pain!

Compared to computer geeks, I don't probably do squat on the computer but I do enough that I think this LU acct. is going to be a problem. And even moreso because I am not a geek... (said most affectionately, respectfully).

What is your thought about admin acct NOT having password if physical security of computer is good? Writer of article says this is actually higher internet security.

As for the referral to the virus tools, you guys referred me to The SpyKiller forums and my computer has been injected, dejected, projected, rejected upside down, inside out, frontwards, backwards etc... and I'm not even sure where we are in the process! I just do what they say. If you have insomnia, check it out, I'd love some human commentary on where I'm at. http://thespykiller.co.uk/index.php/topic,5902.0.html

The expertise I am receiving is absolutely amazing. I just follow the instructions and wait for the next cue. Deckards, Web CureIt, CounterSpy, CleanUp, SmitFraudFix, Avast, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, F-Secure,RootkitRevealer, BlackLight, Gmer, CatchMe, Avira, and repeats on many of these.

Once through with this process, I will have to decide on an AV. I was running Avast and AVG together. And the night I got hit with trojan, I was looking for photos of a wirehaired griffon. I'd showed my husband several pics, was still perusing and I think I went on a utube or something. It asked for active x control permission and I didn't think a thing about it. BAM! So that will be another area of concern in the future...
    I'd like to add that using both a hardware and a software firewall would go a long way to securing your PC. Software firewalls (like Comodo) give you control over inbound and outbound traffic and a hardware firewall with all ports set on stealth will help protect against port scans by simply ignoring unsolicited traffic.
    I was reading this last pages of thread earlier today and Comodo comments caught my attention then... I won't do anything w/o okay from SK advisor for now but will definitely come back to this. If I run ShieldsUp can I post log with pcper? Would the results be the same regardless of which computer I run it on - all on same router...

Your last comments on viewing the task manager is almost comical... but I want to get it... how does a dummy start to recognize processes that are out of place??? May be way too loaded of a question.

Anxious to move forward on virus clean...

Thanks again for ALL your input and comments... cj

(said most affectionately, respectfully).
    LOL - we're all geeks in here. No need to explain

What is your thought about admin acct NOT having password if physical security of computer is good? Writer of article says this is actually higher internet security.
    I'm no security expert, but I would have to say that an account password is more secure than not having one. One of the things pointed out in the TechNet article you linked is that not having a password means an account is not viable on a network. True but there are ways of getting into a PC without having account passwords and once you are in, it's easier to manipulate a PC without passwords than to manipulate one that does have passwords. He also states that there's no point in changing the administrator account name. I also disagree with that because it forces a would-be hacker to take extra steps to get into the PC - a small deterrent. IMHO, ultimately if someone really wants to get into a Windows PC, they will. Like I said though, I'm no security expert.

You can set up Windows and other utilities to automatically log in using a long password. Go to Start Menu > Run and type control userpasswords2 and untick the box that says "users must enter a username and password to use this computer" - you can also use TweakIU 1.33 or TweakUI Powertoy for Windows XP (both available from Microsoft's download site).

Another thing, if you use File and Printer Sharing on the NIC for your internet connection, it can be fairly easy for someone to gain access to your files. Yes there are ways around this, but again it's another small step that can be taken to deter would-be hackers. Another step is to disable Simple File Sharing, which disables anonymous logon and forces per-account authentication. If you use Windows XP Pro, you can actually restrict which accounts/usergroups can access the PC remotely. Again there are ways to circumvent all this, but it does make things a little bit harder to get in.

To throw a spanner in the works, most of the infections I encounter are as a result of the user's activity on the internet, rendering those past points as moot. You can have a system that's set up like Fort Knox, but once a malicious link is clicked it becomes solicited internet traffic - the user has allowed it in. This is a big part of where having a limited account comes into it's own. As discussed, LA's can be a pain. I prefer to employ a few security measures and be really careful on the 'Net. Along with getting internet security software, it's as important (or more-so) to review how you use the internet. Find out how you might have been infected and learn how to avoid that in future - something you're already onto

I agree with Ruby that Firefox is a safer option than IE, but I don't see it as an end-all solution to infection. Most of it is as a result of clicking things that aren't safe. Might be a picture inside a web page made to look like a window, perhaps a pop-up box saying your PC needs to be cleaned or a range of other things. If a window looks suspicious to me, I avoid clicking on it at all costs. Try ESC, try ALT+F4, etc, but don't click on it.

When downloading things, be super careful where you get them. Always try and get them from the original source. Avoid Peer-to-Peer software, small online games or Flash games, browser toolbars and add-ons, screensavers, theme kits, optimisation programs, etc. Be very wary of any software you want to get over the 'Net and also ActiveX controls. If you don't know of a program and it hasn't been recommended by a trusted source, do some extensive research first. Ask trusted sources what they think.

As for the referral to the virus tools, you guys referred me to The SpyKiller forums and my computer has been injected, dejected, projected, rejected upside down, inside out, frontwards, backwards etc... and I'm not even sure where we are in the process! I just do what they say. If you have insomnia, check it out, I'd love some human commentary on where I'm at. http://thespykiller.co.uk/index.php/topic,5902.0.html
    Looks like Ruby has a bucket of time on her hands. It's quite difficult and time consuming to do this stuff over the 'net. For a start you need to have a good knowledge of current day infections. Keep it up and I'm sure she'll get your system cleaned up for ya

If I run ShieldsUp can I post log with pcper? Would the results be the same regardless of which computer I run it on - all on same router...
    Just post the errors if you get any Yes - it should be the same for all PC's.

Your last comments on viewing the task manager is almost comical... but I want to get it... how does a dummy start to recognize processes that are out of place??? May be way too loaded of a question.
    Sorry - I meant to write how but totally forgot! Google file names with their extensions and you'll get a list of sites explaining what they are. Some of them aren't totally accurate so it's worth looking at a few of the sites for confirmation. Be wary of user comments on those sites though - probably better to ignore them altogether. Another quick way to check is to run a HijackThis log through http://www.hijackthis.de

Timely question: I just downloaded FoxItReader and am about to delete Adobe R. In Add/Remove there is Adobe Reader and also, Adobe Flash Player Active X.

Just checking, these are totally separate - AFP is for movies, etc? and I can keep it along with FoxIt, right?

Correct Flash is now Adobe software (as opposed to being Macromedia)

Thanks!

Morning all,
    my computer is clean and sober!!! yeah!!! hardly believe yet, really. now i'm going back to all the minutia i've been creating - not really minutia but i have SO MANY QUESTIONS after this experinece!!

Jim, First of all, thanks as always for your input...

Under General, there are three things to check above - firefox, installed addons, search engines. do you check all three of these?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    You obviously see the Firefox OPtions found in Tools.
    Here is what I have done
    General:
    check
    auto downloads [it keeps updates current]
    warn if conflict with add ons

Ill buzz thru IE settings later