Broderbund Print Shop software (Rant)

Wow, so I ordered a copy of Brodeerbund “The Print Shop 22” software for one of the clients here at work and it came in yesterday.

Now I paid 6.99 for shipping knowing that like most companies the majority of this “Shipping” charge goes towards costs OTHER than the actual shipping. In fact I know that most companies make a fair amount of profit off of “Shipping” charges and I take the cost into account when ordering anything.

But when the little, brightly printed, Brouderbund envelope was placed on my desk I was a shocked to see how flimsy it truly was. I’m not kidding when I say that the envelope was about the same weight as glossy Inkjet photo paper. Looking at it I could see the impression of the disk in the paper like it had been run through a press and there were scuff marks on it. I knew it wouldn’t be good.

Opening the envelope confirmed my fear. The two DVD disks were simply shoved in this inadequate packaging and had deep scratches and scuff marks on their face. Always the optimist I did my best to clean off any of the residue from the envelope and then tried to install the software.

The install got to about 25% and then started having troubles finding files. I tried two more times to install the software with no success.

To add insilt to injury, stamped right on the front of the envelope was the shipping cost.. No not the 6.99 I paid….. “$0.58 US Postage First-Class”. Now what company in their right mind would package media like this and then expect it to arrive undamaged through the US Mail? I mean come on they probally destroyed the media as soon as they ran the envelope through the postage machine.

For the 6.99 I paid they could have at least put each of the disks in a sleeve but no they dumped them into the mailing envelope without a thought.

Luckily this is on our corporate credit card so if I don’t receive satisfaction from them when I call… and don’t get me started about finding a customer servers phone number, I’ll just dispute the charge and be down with them.

Broderbund….. A company to avoid if at all possible.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Re: Broderbund Print Shop software (Rant)

Print shop is still around?!

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    Print shop is still around?!
    ROTFLMAO Yes it is. It’s like a cockroach, it would survive a nuclear blast.

Anyway just got of the phone with their “Customer support” and had them tell me this is how they ship ALL of their software. I said “Well you must get a lot of complaints then.”

His response is that the majority of their software arrives with no problem.

Okay right.. whatever. To their credit they are shipping out a new copy no charge and using “Priority shipping” Didn’t give me any hassle about it either so we will see when it arrives.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Not only that, but I believe Broderbund have their own spyware in that program. When you get it installed, open REGEDIT and navigate to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

Inside there you might find a key (folder) named DSS. Delete that. The name of the actual spyware program is DSSAgent.exe
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 02-12-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Not only that, but I believe Broderbund have their own spyware in that program. When you get it installed, open REGEDIT and navigate to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

Inside there you might find a key (folder) named DSS. Delete that. The name of the actual spyware program is DSSAgent.exe
    Wow, thanks It’s not going on my system but I’ll get rid of that anyway.

Thumbs up Re: Broderbund Print Shop software (Rant)

thank u soooooooo much my friend !!!!!!!!!!!!

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

Wow, I remember back on our old 286, we had a Broderbund program that taught you about computers- how to use a mouse, etc- that was rather cool (for a 5-year-old, anyway). It's interesting to see these companies 15 years later...