Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Re: Big Brother Thread

Good luck with this pos

http://www.seacoastonline.com/apps/p...0343/-1/NEWS01

I cant wait to hear the difference between "looking" and "peering"
    Maybe its a stopwatch thing.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 04-14-2008 at 03:58 PM.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/bri...speed-cameras/

In yet another salvo in the UK's ongoing war on speeders, the British government is considering installing motorway cameras which track the average speed of individual vehicles. The move is aimed at those sick, twisted individuals who slow down for cameras only to speed up again after they pass the eyes in the sky. The new cameras would track the speed of a vehicle, and then compute its average velocity between two cameras on a given stretch of road. Although simple in conception, the new approach would be far more effective in convincing Britain's drivers that the smallest violation of speed limits would be instantly caught and penalized. The cameras have already been deployed for testing at road construction sites, and apparently can't be fooled by lane changes and other "evasive techniques."
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Talk about a long and expensive way around an issue.
    The MASS Pike solved that 30 years ago without cameras.
    Timestamps on the toll tickets. Enter at 8AM?
    Exit an hour later 80 miles down the road? Busted.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Talk about a long and expensive way around an issue.
    The MASS Pike solved that 30 years ago without cameras.
    Timestamps on the toll tickets. Enter at 8AM?
    Exit an hour later 80 miles down the road? Busted.
    I grew up in Mass. In the "old days" the Pike west of Worcester was virtually an open road with no traffic to speak of. We'd take our cars out for a speed run to test top end then we'd stop for a while, have a beer or two then exit. If you forgot and were pulling up to the toll booth to exit just tell them you lost you're ticket. You'd have to pay toll from the furthest point on the Pike to that booth, but you wouldn't get a ticket. After the word got out only absent minded salesmen got tickets from the time stamps.
    Last edited by Frank1946; 04-16-2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: never could spell
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

I remember the "I lost my ticket " routine!!

Feds are going to take DNA from everyone they arrest, be they
    guilty or not. If one is innocent one can "ask" the Gov to give
    up their sample of DNA. Good luck with that...
    http://www.yahoo.com/s/859346
    WASHINGTON - The government plans to begin collecting DNA samples from anyone arrested by a federal law enforcement agency a move intended to prevent violent crime but which also is raising concerns about the privacy of innocent people.

Using authority granted by Congress, the government also plans to collect DNA samples from foreigners who are detained, whether they have been charged or not. The DNA would be collected through a cheek swab, Justice Department spokesman Erik Ablin said Wednesday. That would be a departure from current practice, which limits DNA collection to convicted felons.

Expanding the DNA database, known as CODIS, raises civil liberties questions about the potential for misuse of such personal information, such as family ties and genetic conditions.

Ablin said the DNA collection would be subject to the same privacy laws applied to current DNA sampling. That means none of it would be used for identifying genetic traits, diseases or disorders.

Congress gave the Justice Department the authority to expand DNA collection in two different laws passed in 2005 and 2006.

There are dozens of federal law enforcement agencies, ranging from the FBI to the Library of Congress Police. The federal government estimates it makes about 140,000 arrests each year.
    Man, that seems like a heck of a lot of people getting arrested.

They'll have to get DNA from my cold, dead mouth.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    They'll have to get DNA from my cold, dead mouth.
    Where do I join?
    FRH

For those convicted of a Federal crime? OK. I get that.
    But come now. Simply as a result of an arrest?

I even have some issues with the concept of all Federal convictions.
    Who needs the dna from some guy/gal convicted of some Tax issue etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1946 View Post
    Where do I join?
    Right here and here.

Right here and here.
    Life Member of the NRA already! In the name of decorum I'll withold my comment on those other guys.
    FRH

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1946 View Post
    Life Member of the NRA already! In the name of decorum I'll withold my comment on those other guys.
    Hey, somebody has to fight the good fight, even when it's not popular.

In other news:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...sts-spying-p2p

A DEMOCRATIC PARTY SENATOR in the US has told a Senate Judiciary subcommittee that he believes police should be using special software that would allow them to spy on p2p networks, purportedly for tracking illegal activity like child sex abuse.

According to CNET, Senator Joe Biden, apparently reckons that it's "pretty easy to pick out the person engaged in either transmitting or downloading violent scenes of rape, molestation" just by looking at file names...

Hey, somebody has to fight the good fight, even when it's not popular.
    Is that what they call promoting communism through and profiteering on... frivolous lawsuits nowadays? Odd.. that's not what I recall "fighting the good fight" meaning.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Oh now this just freakin' wrong !!!
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/lo...tory?track=rss
    excerpt
    Some travelers at Los Angeles International Airport will be searched for weapons and explosives using a new scanner that peers through their clothes and creates an image of the person's body, federal officials announced Thursday.

The sophisticated technology, called millimeter wave imaging, may prove to be a more effective way to check travelers for guns, knives, bombs and other dangerous materials than pat-down searches. But it has raised questions by privacy and civil rights advocates, who say the screening process is extraordinarily invasive and amounts to a virtual strip search.

"I don't think people are really aware of just how accurate and detailed the images are of their naked body," said Peter Bibring, a staff attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union office in Los Angeles. "We need to make sure there are good safeguards. The temptation is great not to follow procedures when a celebrity or someone well-known is involved."

Millimeter wave pictures are white and dark gray. Though somewhat fuzzy, they are detailed enough to reveal bulges in the body, such as the shape of a breast or muscle. The machine uses radio waves to create an image from energy reflected from the human body.

This results in a 3-D image that essentially shows how the person looks without clothing. It also shows hidden objects such as guns and explosives.
    Now this security stuff is just getting to be bullsh*t. Enough is
    enough.

Last edited by no2guncntrl; 04-18-2008 at 09:25 PM.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-allows-spy-uk

THE UK Home Secretary secretively signed a "special certificate" last year that gives foreign security agencies real-time access to traffic camera images and related data monitoring British motorists on highways throughout the UK...