Question DDR2 Standard voltage 1.8V, but most mem sites say 2.2VWhy?

I called Gigabyte today asking why their (P35-DS3L rev2) mother board defaults to 1.8V for DDR 6400/800mHz when all the memory manufactures list 2.2V on their web sites. The support guy said that 1.8V is the standard DDR2 voltage if you're not over clocking.

So my question is: What is this 2.2V number that is listed on all these memory sites? is 2.2V referring to the max voltage that the modules can handle when being over clocked?
    I wasn’t sure if I should set my memory voltage to 2.2V, the support guy at Gigabyte said, no. I know if you over clock the memory you'll most likely need to bump the voltage up, but I’m not over clocking.
    Last edited by Starstreams; 02-19-2008 at 04:13 AM.

Re: DDR2 Standard voltage 1.8V, but most mem sites say 2.2VWhy?

JEDEC specs call for 1.8v.

http://www.intel.com/technology/memo...um_rev_1.1.pdf
    Intel 256, 512 Mb, 1, 2, 4 Gb: x4, x8, x16
    Rev. 1.1
    DDR2 667/800 SDRAM
    1/106 5
    DDR2 Speed Bins Supported by Intel Chipsets
    DDR2 667 5-5-5 & DDR2 667 4-4-4 are supported by Intel chipsets.
    DDR2 800 5-5-5 is supported by Intel chipsets.
    Note: All speed bins must support 4-4-4 for backward compatibility with DDR2 533 & DDR2 400.
    Note: Faster speed bins may be supported such as DDR2 667 3-4-4.
    All motherboards default to 1.8v for memory. All memories have a rating in the SPD chip that will allow the MB to boot (at least to BIOS) at 1.8v (usually at greatly reduced timings)(rare exceptions). The sticker on the memory is a guaranteed rating at the specified timings and voltage. It almost always must be manually set.
    Note that some boards do not support higher memory voltages, so the memory most likely cannot be used at the rated specs.

In essence any memory rated over 800 and under 5-5-5 is a factory overclocked product. In most cases it is a slower memory chip that has been tested to run faster and/or tighter at higher voltage. The memory you link to is probably an older module as 2.2v is rather high. There are memories available now that will do those speed/timings at 1.8-9v.

So the answer to your question is to run those sticks at the rating set (if you can even run it that fast) to 2.2v, if they work you can try 2.1v etc. The Gigabyte rep is pretty sure your running at 667 hence his advice. Regardless at what you run, set the timings low if you can to get some goodness from the 4-4-4.
    n many cases c2d's do not run the memory very fast so higher speeds are not necessary. Run cpu-z to see what your default memory speed is, then maybe you can run 4-4-4 at reduced voltage (from the 2.2v)

In many cases the 533 and 677 memories were the same except voltage, as the modules improved 677 and 800 were the same, now 800 and 1066.
    I base my buying decision on the rated voltage that gives the performance I like. The lower the better, as I know I can overclock and/or tighten timings with a voltage boost.
    Last edited by TheGlasMan; 02-19-2008 at 08:20 AM.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

ud

Quote Originally Posted by Starstreams View Post
    I called Gigabyte today asking why their (P35-DS3L rev2) mother board defaults to 1.8V for DDR 6400/800mHz when all the memory manufactures list 2.2V on their web sites. The support guy said that 1.8V is the standard DDR2 voltage if you're not over clocking.

So my question is: What is this 2.2V number that is listed on all these memory sites? is 2.2V referring to the max voltage that the modules can handle when being over clocked?
    I wasnt sure if I should set my memory voltage to 2.2V, the support guy at Gigabyte said, no. I know if you over clock the memory you'll most likely need to bump the voltage up, but Im not over clocking.
    The standard DDR2 voltage, as defined by the only legitimate standard there is, which is JEDEC, is in fact 1.8 volts. Memory that requires more, typically peformance enthusiast types, does not conform to the industry standard, thus the need for tweaks in the BIOS to accomodate them.

Question Re: DDR2 Standard voltage 1.8V, but most mem sites say 2.2VWhy?

Thanks for that info TheGlasMan, I had no idea there were lower voltage moduals, I didn’t’ even think of that. It was kind of a last min buying decision, and I trusted the sales guy.

I should have stuck with Corsair like I always do. I’m having some seriously odd issues here

I just built two identical systems, one for me, and the other for my dad. If I set the memory timing to the manufacture recommend 4-4-4-12., along with the proper voltage, the memory runs great on my PC. But if I set my dad’s system to these same specs, he gets all kinds of memory errors from Memtest86+ 2.0. So I basically have to keep his system at 5-5-5-12, and then there are no errors. I don’t get it.

We have the same memory kits, CPU, and mother board rev, and bios revision. what the heck is going on here? He doses have a different video card; could that cause main memory timing issues because of the different video memory types? I have DDR3 on my video card, and he has DDR2
    I’ve called Gigabyte, and Patriot support for their products, and they are worthless on this issue.
    Last edited by Starstreams; 02-20-2008 at 04:20 AM.

try his in your system. if you experience the same problem, then i would think it's the memory and rma would be in order.

document on his system the test that fail. then proceed with the test on yours.

have you tried using the other 2 slots on his rig?

edit: you do need to set the vdimm to the factory specs.of 2.2v. btw, i have the same memory and also a set of cas 4 corsair both run fine.

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 02-20-2008 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    try his in your system. if you experience the same problem, then i would think it's the memory and rma would be in order.

document on his system the test that fail. then proceed with the test on yours.

have you tried using the other 2 slots on his rig?
    ud
    That I have not tried, I will though!

also test 1 stick at a time. more than likely it will be just one that is bad.

ud

Ya, but if the stick was bad, it would show errors all the time as the memory test runs through all the address. What makes this so difficult is that there are no errors if I put the system to auto.
    And as far as using the other slots: The memory runs fine at the default bios settings. If the memory slots were not working, the errors would be present at all times I would think.

But what’s even more odd is that, both of us have the same Intel E8400 CPU, yet his board is feeding it 1.2V Vcore, and my system CPU is getting 1.5V. We both have the GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0)

Why are my voltages so off track from his?
    Last edited by Starstreams; 02-20-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Lightbulb Re: DDR2 Standard voltage 1.8V, but most mem sites say 2.2VWhy?

I just thought of something;

Although we both have the same memory brand and model, My sticks came as a matched kit, but when I bought his modules, they were in two separate packs, (not matched). Do you think something like that could cause memory errors in duel channel?

i wouldn't think in your case it should make much difference. it might show up if you were oc'ing the memory.

as for the memory running ok at lower settings and not at advertised rate.

here is a link from the corsair site that explains what to do when you suspect you have a memory issue.

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38201

ud

Thanks for that link uddarts

You know I went out tonight and replaced his memory with the same stuff, but matched, and his errors seem to be gone.
    But now I just encountered an error on "my" system on test #5.
    Bottom line, I think this Patriot memory brand is the worse crap I have ever used. I’ve never had problems with Corsair or Micron, I should have just stuck with that. I’m going to return this stuff and get something better. The only problem is, It’s difficult to find 4-4-4-12 timings when your getting 2x 2GB 4G kits.

btw, I am using a bata bios, which I had no choice if I wanted the 45nm support.

70% of my ram is corsair but some of that has gone bad too.

don't worry if you can't find 2x2g with cas 4. you'll never notice the difference in the blind taste test.

ud

Thumbs up Re: DDR2 Standard voltage 1.8V, but most mem sites say 2.2VWhy?

Hay uddarts, that information at that link you gave me seemed to work. I reversed the memory chips putting the second chip where the first one is, and I also disabled the legacy USB support in the bios which I guess according to the information can cause false errors,
    Anyway, I ran the test on my system while I was sleeping: 14 passes not one error. I’m not sure which of the two actions caused this to work, but I’m happy that it did!

so far my dad's system seems ok also, but I'm going to run that test longer on his tonight.

ud