*nix ext3 partition ?

So this might belong over in the *nix forum but it's hdd related also. My question is regarding a new spinpoint 750gb 32mb cache. It's faster than any of my other drives, would it be suitable for os and what would be the best way to partition it.

Re: *nix ext3 partition ?

Shouldn't be a problem using it for Linux. A drive is a drive, is a drive or so it goes!

What software do you have available? Windows, Linux, Partition Magic, Parted magic?

You could slave the drive and partition it with any of the above. I use Partition Magic as that's what I know. I would partition and format it with NTFS then with PM resize it and leave free space at the beginning for Linux. How much space? Depends, but Linux doesn't need as much space as Windows. I would think 10-20 gig would be plenty.

Hope this helps.
    Biostar P4M900-M7 FE, Inte Core 2 Duo E7400, Win7

Any hard disk is suitable for Linux or any PC system if that matters.

Linux one can have up to 15 partitions. The application is identical to MS systems except the device names are different. All my hard disks have multiple systems. Earlier kernels accepted 63 partitions in Pata so I still have them running.

99.9% Linux can be fitted into a 10Gb partition. I have used 5Gb per Linux for my older 300Gb Pata hard disks that have 63 partitions. One can get software in MS systems to mount/read/write Linux partitions and do exactly the same thing in the other way round.

Lastly in PC standard a hard disk can have only 4 primaries. When more partitions are needed one of the 4 primaries must be given up to become an extended partition. Current Linux kernel support 11 logical partitions for every SCSI, Pata, Sata, USB disk. There are a maximum of 16 device names;
    one for the whole disk (e.g. /dev/sda), first 4 as primaries (sda1 to sda4) and 11 logical (sda5 to sda15).

The hard disk can be used either internally or externally, hooked in USB or eSata and in size of 2.5" or 3.5". They are all the same in Linux.

Linux can be of course installed and booted from any primary or logical partition.

I'm getting away from m$ so it will only be ext3. I hated having multiple partitions in M$ as I was always shuffling stuff around to make the best use of space. I guess my concern was using such a large hdd for os. But I know it's faster than any of my current hdds. Thanks for the replys.