Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69

Thread: linux

  1. #1
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    linux

    I downloaded PCLinuxOS

    trying to run the os off the live cd but it wants a password tryed admin and guest but that did not work any ideas
    Last edited by brothergc; 02-19-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  2. #2
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    UK
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,229

    Re: pc linux

    Try reading the documentation.

    Hint:
    root:root
    guest:guest

  3. #3
    Joined
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Out there, just read my posts
    Posts
    5,473

    Re: pc linux

    you mean I have to be able to read to use Linux?

  4. #4
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    The Lost Continent of Atlantis
    Age
    47
    Posts
    3,694

    Re: pc linux

    Don't worry Gerald I did the same thing the 1st time I booted one like that

    then after a little while noticed it was written in the upper left corner of the screen

  5. #5
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: pc linux

    Quote Originally Posted by StompinRound View Post
    Don't worry Gerald I did the same thing the 1st time I booted one like that

    then after a little while noticed it was written in the upper left corner of the screen
    Thanks I will give that a shot , if I like this version , I will wipe windows and go for a Pc Linux and see what happens. I have some old hardware a fortissmo 3 sound card , biostar 550 se , 2 gig of ram , and a old 6800GS PCIE vid card , been threating to go linux for 2 years so now is a good of a time as any

    edit : duh the passward is on the 1st screen and not the splash screen ' must be having a brain fart ! LOL

    ok I got it to load but not impressed with PC Linux OS , mabe some mandrake ?
    Last edited by brothergc; 02-19-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  6. #6
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,996

    Re: linux

    PC Linux OS is very good for hardware detection. However, when running as a live cd, it will be very slow. If you look at the boot screen, there is a command that you can load it to ram. With 2 GB of ram, try running it in that mode, will give you a much more realistic idea of how PC Linux OS would run if installed.
    My personal favorite OS due to simplicity is sidux. However if you try it, you'll have to install it to try out, as sidux as a live cd is the most worthless thing in the world. Loads almost no drivers and runs really poor.
    PCLOS is derived from Mandriva, so if you didn't like it, there's a better than average chance you won't be impressed by Mandriva.
    You could also try out some of the other very "everything and the kitchen sink" distros, OpenSuse or Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Fluxubuntu/thisbuntu/thatbuntu/everythingbuntu/yougetthedriftbuntu

  7. #7
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Location
    UK
    Age
    51
    Posts
    20,229

    Re: pc linux

    Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    ok I got it to load but not impressed with PC Linux OS , mabe some mandrake ?
    What didn't impress you? What were you expecting?

    It's hard enough making recommendations in Linux anyway due to the vast choice that's available, but having something to go on helps

  8. #8
    Joined
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Out there, just read my posts
    Posts
    5,473

    Re: linux

    Quote Originally Posted by TLMiller View Post
    My personal favorite OS due to simplicity is sidux. However if you try it, you'll have to install it to try out, as sidux as a live cd is the most worthless thing in the world.
    "I" wouldn't go that far, after all Winders is still around, hehe

    Rant On/

    And after all, apparently MS is running out of money, since you can ONLY get new software by d/l....yeah several gigs. over T1's that are in use most of the time......, and oh, oops I was in such a hurry to get office rolled out (the V.P. was on my back ya see), I neglected to make a copy of the d/l, or burn it to CD, and the 2K3 Server crashed, DAMMIT, no I gotta d/l again! (hypothetical situation of course).

    /Rant Off
    Last edited by Jackal; 02-19-2008 at 08:18 PM.

  9. #9
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: linux

    Quote Originally Posted by TLMiller View Post
    PC Linux OS is very good for hardware detection. However, when running as a live cd, it will be very slow. If you look at the boot screen, there is a command that you can load it to ram. With 2 GB of ram, try running it in that mode, will give you a much more realistic idea of how PC Linux OS would run if installed.
    My personal favorite OS due to simplicity is sidux. However if you try it, you'll have to install it to try out, as sidux as a live cd is the most worthless thing in the world. Loads almost no drivers and runs really poor.
    PCLOS is derived from Mandriva, so if you didn't like it, there's a better than average chance you won't be impressed by Mandriva.
    You could also try out some of the other very "everything and the kitchen sink" distros, OpenSuse or Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Fluxubuntu/thisbuntu/thatbuntu/everythingbuntu/yougetthedriftbuntu
    realy I did not know PC Linux was dirived from Mandrivia , hum downloading now !
    I will probaly end up with this mandravia or Suse , I see suse is a way bigger download , why is that ?
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  10. #10
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,996

    Re: linux

    Suse is truly an "everything and the kitchen sink" distro. They load support for EVERYTHING. This allows them to support the widest array of hardware out of the box of pretty much anyone. It has the drawback of causing some slowdown. On higher end systems, you won't notice it, but it would be noticeable on low end systems.

  11. #11
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: linux

    Quote Originally Posted by TLMiller View Post
    Suse is truly an "everything and the kitchen sink" distro. They load support for EVERYTHING. This allows them to support the widest array of hardware out of the box of pretty much anyone. It has the drawback of causing some slowdown. On higher end systems, you won't notice it, but it would be noticeable on low end systems.
    i downloaded mandriva , not bad ! pretty slick IMO . it picked up my nvidia vid card
    I will give SUSE a shot thanks for the info
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  12. #12
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Sequim, WA
    Posts
    1,430

    Re: linux

    Recent distros that have passed through my test partition:

    opensuse - everything just worked well, the gui tools are really well made and actually do what they are supposed to do, but then things just started to go wrong, not sure why and can't remember what
    .but they were show stoppers for me, it went bye-bye

    ubuntu- once again everything worked, out of the box, 3d, compiz, wireless...but it seems slow to me, i'd sorta rather start with Debian and custom tailor it

    sabayon - nice looking, compiz and wireless out of the box, uses Gentoo's Portage package management system so it has "ALOT" of software to choose from, but, once again it seemed to get slow and begin screwing up on me, not sure why I have this issue with these "pre-loaded" distros

    LinuxMint - Same as ubuntu but "prettier", everything worked, great package manager...I really liked it. It still lives on a both my main rig and laptop. This is the one I recommend out of the ones I've tried recently.

    No one asked for my opinion but I gave it anyway.

    Good Luck
    Biostar TA 770/ X2 7850 BE
    AC Freezer 64 Pro
    OCZ Gold 4x1024
    EVGA 9800GTX
    Coolermaster CM-690
    Coolermaster RPP RS-650
    Win7Pro

  13. #13
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: linux

    Quote Originally Posted by culinist View Post
    Recent distros that have passed through my test partition:

    opensuse - everything just worked well, the gui tools are really well made and actually do what they are supposed to do, but then things just started to go wrong, not sure why and can't remember what
    .but they were show stoppers for me, it went bye-bye

    ubuntu- once again everything worked, out of the box, 3d, compiz, wireless...but it seems slow to me, i'd sorta rather start with Debian and custom tailor it

    sabayon - nice looking, compiz and wireless out of the box, uses Gentoo's Portage package management system so it has "ALOT" of software to choose from, but, once again it seemed to get slow and begin screwing up on me, not sure why I have this issue with these "pre-loaded" distros

    LinuxMint - Same as ubuntu but "prettier", everything worked, great package manager...I really liked it. It still lives on a both my main rig and laptop. This is the one I recommend out of the ones I've tried recently.

    No one asked for my opinion but I gave it anyway.

    Good Luck
    hey I welcome opinions , that is why I am posting here , going to spend sme time in the Linux world might as well try out a few destros
    do you remember what version of Suse you were running the latest I see is 10.3 . I thought I saw 11.0 but it was in alfa which I assume is buggy and not ready for prime time
    Last edited by brothergc; 02-19-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  14. #14
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: linux

    Suse looks sweet I will give it a go , time to wipe windows !
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  15. #15
    Joined
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Out there, just read my posts
    Posts
    5,473

    Re: linux

    Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Suse looks sweet I will give it a go , time to wipe windows !
    You need any T.P.?

    ROFLMAO!!

    Good Luck!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •