Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: linux

Re: linux

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    You need any T.P.?

ROFLMAO!!

Good Luck!!
    got plenty ! Northern extra quilted at that !!!
    naw I changed my mind SUSE is bloated I settled on Mandriva but where can I get the full install ISO for download ? Ithe only one I have seen is the Live CD
    Last edited by brothergc; 02-19-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Suse looks sweet I will give it a go , time to wipe windows !
    i sort of liked the latest version of ubuntu, and they make loading the nvidia driver fairly easy. that is a big plus.

suse, great distro, but you have to spend some time and effort to get things working. i have it on one of my computers, have the nvidia driver installed, and got the dvd player working... getting those two items working is not for the amateur, especailly the dvd player.

fedora-don,t like it..though this version has a huge following.

i sort of liked sabayon, its an italian version... going to install it again to see how the latest version runs.

go here for all the distros,s you need-

http://distrowatch.com/

most of the linux versions come and go, though there are a few that have lasted time. ubuntu originated from a south american millinoire, and is actually put on some dell computers i believe....its sort of fun playing around with linux, and can actually have a complete operationing system for free. mac computers operating systems are actually based off linux ditros..
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Myself, I am rather biased toward PCLinuxOS.

preferably the MiniMe version...I dont install my windows with a bunch of junk so why would i do the same with Linux.

I used SuSe for a long time before making the switch to PCLinux...I rather liked it at the time...I also always liked Mandrake, but for some reason never could get it to work right.

Been using Mandriva One on my lappy for the moment because it includes a newer kernel than PCLinux (my lappy is too new) there are workarounds, but I am a point and click linux guru, not command line so umbuntu and its flavors tend to get over my head quick..especially if i ask for help

I think the main reason I like PCLinux is because I do not know really anything...I just use it...their forumbase is small and personal and friendly...I did not get that kind of reception at the umbuntu forums.

no matter which way you go with linux, it brings a lot of the fun we used to have with our computers back to life.

ok I just installed mandriva , it was easy loaded the live cd , then clicked on the "live install" and bingo, it formatted and installed itself , I am now windows free on this box . I need to figure out how to load and install the nvidia drivers as the desk top looks bland compared to windows , also firefox loads very slow , I am on cable internet so I should load pretty fast
    minor bugs put I will figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    i sort of liked the latest version of ubuntu, and they make loading the nvidia driver fairly easy. that is a big plus.
    This is why I'm using Ubuntu ATM.

I really like PCLinux also but being a rather noob to the command line I had problems getting the restricted video drivers. Every time I tried to get them through the package manager I'd get an error that it couldn't find the drivers at the dl site. If they'd put the restricted drivers in it the way Ubuntu did then I'd probably be using PCLinuxOS.

Tried to DL the MiniMe version the other day and was only DL'ing @ 22.kb so I stoped it.

Very much like the looks of Mandriva but don't really care for the way they do there menus. I have it loaded on another drive and will be playing around with it when time allows.

Tried MEPIS for a couple days and didn't like the looks of the desktop icons.

From my reading this list is probably the easiest for a newbie to get started with using Linux. But I'm being challenged and having fun with it.
    Biostar P4M900-M7 FE, Inte Core 2 Duo E7400, Win7

Quote Originally Posted by bonz_dragon View Post
    This is why I'm using Ubuntu ATM.

I really like PCLinux also but being a rather noob to the command line I had problems getting the restricted video drivers. Every time I tried to get them through the package manager I'd get an error that it couldn't find the drivers at the dl site. If they'd put the restricted drivers in it the way Ubuntu did then I'd probably be using PCLinuxOS.

Tried to DL the MiniMe version the other day and was only DL'ing @ 22.kb so I stoped it.

Very much like the looks of Mandriva but don't really care for the way they do there menus. I have it loaded on another drive and will be playing around with it when time allows.

Tried MEPIS for a couple days and didn't like the looks of the desktop icons.

From my reading this list is probably the easiest for a newbie to get started with using Linux. But I'm being challenged and having fun with it.
    I am having the same problem with PC Linux OS as I dumped Mandriva , too bloated and ran slow on my hardware , been trying to load the nvidia drivers but no luck, I was able to change permissions on the nvidia driver file and run it in a terminal window , but it said something about needing to be in the root something or another
    I keep trying as I like this Pcos linux a little better , firefox is loading faster and the system looks much better

Going right now to try and DL MiniMe again. Will post back with the results.

OK, how have MiniMe and PCLinuxOS Gnome on disks.

MiniMe is just that! Nothing comes with it, so it looks like it would be great for those that want to "roll your own". It does look like it supports restricted drivers from the OS.

PCLinux Gnome looks much like the KDE version but with the tool bar on top like Ubuntu. Installing it right now on a second machine and again will post back results.

OK, how have MiniMe and PCLinuxOS Gnome on disks.

MiniMe is just that! Nothing comes with it, so it looks like it would be great for those that want to "roll your own". It does look like it supports restricted drivers from the OS.

PCLinux Gnome looks much like the KDE version but with the tool bar on top like Ubuntu. Installing it right now on a second machine and again will post back results.
    say if you figure out how to install the newest nvidia drivers will you post how you did it ?

really on pclos
    after running synaptic and checking all updates

i just went via synaptic and searched for 'Nvidia"

selectedt he driver i needed, there are 3 to choose from, look at the decriptions

I got the 169.XXX

from there it just says "you need to restart X for changes to take effect"

it works

With PCLinuxOS when I tried to install the nvidia drivers through synaptic I kept getting an error that it could not connect to the server @ indu.

Just spent a couple hrs. trying to install PCLinux Gnome with no luck. Have Windows on the drive with 2 Partitions and no matter which way I try, it will not install. Gets as far as formatting drive then stops and goes back to the desktop w/o doing anything. Formatting seems to never start!

Moving on now. Will try to install MiniMe.

Your going about it the right way.Keep trying distro's till you find one you like and that works good with your hardware.
    What I like you may not and what works good with my hardware may not work so good on yours.
    I really like PCLinuxOS and it works good with my hardware.Never a problem with it unless it was self inflicted newbie mistake.It just keeps working for me.
    Ubuntu works good for me also and has tons of applications available through it's repos.Forums are also very large and any probs I run into I usually can just do a search and fix it myself.
    I liked Sabayon alot but haven't tried it for a long time.Seems to use alot of new cutting edge stuff which probably makes it less stable then others and also was the distro I've broke the most.
    I've tried alot of other distros and I'm always trying more.Has turned into a hobby for me.Need to add some more hdds so I can try some more.Maybe Centos next so all I'll have to do is just ask Ned and he can fix it for me,lol.Still have alot to learn.

With PCLinuxOS when I tried to install the nvidia drivers through synaptic I kept getting an error that it could not connect to the server @ indu.

Just spent a couple hrs. trying to install PCLinux Gnome with no luck. Have Windows on the drive with 2 Partitions and no matter which way I try, it will not install. Gets as far as formatting drive then stops and goes back to the desktop w/o doing anything. Formatting seems to never start!

Moving on now. Will try to install MiniMe.
    May want to check your disc if you haven't already.You wouldn't believe how many bad burns and downloads I've had.I think with Ubuntu 7.10 alone I had a combination of 5 bad burns or downloads before I finally got got it right.

Now have PCLinux MiniMe installed on a hdd and as with the Gnome version had a bit of trouble getting it to install.

Installing from the Live CD with Windows on 2 partitions it set up the partitions then froze right after starting to load..

Started over and set up the drive with 10gig of free space and it then installed very well. So I think there is a problem with the installer on the LiveCD.

Now to find the repos to start building MiniMe. It also set up my ATI 9550 video card w/o doing anything!

brothergc, you may want to look at this distro.

if you worried about disk
    if you installing from windows and want to do dual boot
    This guide for people who want to install PCLinuxOS but can't use the LiveCD approach, either because they don't have a CD drive or don't have or want to use a spare CD. This uses UNetbootin to automate and simplify the process of performing a no-CD installation from Windows.

What this guide does

It basically adds a boot entry to Windows that allows you to boot into the PCLinuxOS Live environment (though PCLinuxOS is loaded from the hard drive, not CD), from which you can either do a standard installation or just use it in Live mode.

Requirements

Windows 98-Vista
    Windows is NOT strictly required; UNetbootin can also existing install of Linux or another Linux LiveCD/LiveUSB, see site for details/instructions; however this guide will cover installation from Windows

Step 1: Partitioning your Disks

Note: If you're running Vista, use its built-in partition manager (diskmgmt.msc) instead; GParted sometimes has issues resizing Vista's NTFS partitions. You can also skip this step if you only want to use PCLinuxOS in Live mode, already have spare partitions into which you can install PCLinuxOS into, or will be booting PCLinuxOS in "copy2ram" mode (but you'll need at least 1GB RAM for that). This step resizes your Windows install and creates partitions into which PCLinuxOS can be installed (since you will be unable to resize the partition equivalent to Windows C:\ while in the UNetbootin-booted PCLinuxOS Live environment).

Another Note: This step is documented well, and with screenshots, at HowtoForge, so you may want to read that. Follow only that page, though, since the rest of the guide is for Ubuntu and Fedora installation.

1. Download the UNetbootin PartedMagic Partition Manager, Windows (.exe) version. Install the package. You'll be prompted to reboot; do so.

2. After rebooting, select the option labeled "UNetbootin" on the Windows boot menu. This will boot you into an environment from which you can start up GParted. In GParted, shrink your Windows partition using the resize option, then create a new partition in the free space (which you will be using for PCLinuxOS). After that, reboot, and you'll be prompted to uninstall UNetbootin-partedmagic; click OK and that will undo the changes to the Windows bootloader.

Step 2: Download the UNetbootin PCLinuxOS installer

1. Go to the UNetbootin PCLinuxOS Download Page and download the Windows (.exe) version.

Note: If you want to install a version of PCLinuxOS other than the Minime edition, have already downloaded the iso, or have a rather unreliable connection that might hang in the middle of the download, then rename your existing PCLinuxOS iso file to "ubniso.iso", then place it into the same directory as the one that contains the UNetbootin PCLinuxOS exe file. This step is optional, since the UNetbootin PCLinuxOS installer will automatically fetch the Minime 2008 iso if you don't supply it with one.

2. Now, double-click the UNetbootin PCLinuxOS installer .exe, and it'll start up. If you gave it an iso file to use (see step above), it'll use that; otherwise it'll download the PCLinuxOS 2008 Minime edition and use it. Once done installing, you'll be prompted you to reboot; reboot.

Step 3: Booting and installing PCLinuxOS

1. After rebooting, you'll see a UNetbootin-PCLinuxOS entry in the Windows boot menu. Select that, and it'll boot into the Live environment.

Note (optional): If you want to boot with additional parameters, like "copy2ram", you'll have to either press ESC right as you select the UNetbootin entry (which will let you edit the boot options; copy2ram goes at the end of the "kernel" line if you're using it), or you can edit c:\unetbtin\menu.lst and add the copy2ram and other options there, towards the end in the line beginning with "kernel".

2. Once booted into the PCLinuxOS Live environment, start the installer, then after that everything will go as usual.
    http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html