Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: linux

Re: linux

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    say if you figure out how to install the newest nvidia drivers will you post how you did it ?
    that is why i sort of go with suse, its a rpm version,and nvidia has instructions on their web site on how to install... they have suse installation instructions there

also, as i have suggested, the latest verison of ubuntu is very easy to install nvidia drivres. ..it was like clicking a couple of time form an icon.
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    that is why i sort of go with suse, its a rpm version,and nvidia has instructions on their web site on how to install... they have suse installation instructions there

also, as i have suggested, the latest verison of ubuntu is very easy to install nvidia drivres. ..it was like clicking a couple of time form an icon.
    Thanks Geeeky , I give ubuntu a try . curently running SUSE , man waht a difference from running it on the cd VS a real install , the CD ran faster LOL

On Ubuntu I see 2 versions available one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit . I am running a AMD 64 AM2 CPU ( single core though ) so which version should I try ? Also a quick question to Linux in general , My motherboard supports ACPI and APIC 1.1 and 1.4 . is it wiser to leave these enabled or disabled in the bios ? I also See a option in the bios for "OS2'" something or another. is this for Linux or no ?
    Thanks !
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

OS/2 is OS/2 Warp, and it's other itterations, not Linux - leave it at default, it references 64meg. ram.

I run Ubuntu 32bit on a athlon barton xp 2500, and CentOS 64 Bit on my 64X2 dual core.

You can run 32bit on a 64bit processor (which your is), rather well, the only downside to 64 bit, that I've seen, is somethings don't work, java plugin for example - as the manufacturers just haven't written the required 32 bit code.

That said there are ways around it, the above solution is simply to install a 32 bit browser in your 64 bit O/S, which is perfectly acceptable in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    OS/2 is OS/2 Warp, and it's other itterations, not Linux - leave it at default, it references 64meg. ram.

I run Ubuntu 32bit on a athlon barton xp 2500, and CentOS 64 Bit on my 64X2 dual core.

You can run 32bit on a 64bit processor (which your is), rather well, the only downside to 64 bit, that I've seen, is somethings don't work, java plugin for example - as the manufacturers just haven't written the required 32 bit code.

That said there are ways around it, the above solution is simply to install a 32 bit browser in your 64 bit O/S, which is perfectly acceptable in most cases.
    Thanks for the info ! Sounds Like 64 bit could be a headach for a Linux noob like myself , I will stick with the 32 bit version . now how about apic and acpi ? doesLinux understand these ? Any advantages to disable these for linux ?

leave them enabled, w/out it you won't have any power management features.

Thanks for the info ! Sounds Like 64 bit could be a headach for a Linux noob like myself , I will stick with the 32 bit version . now how about apic and acpi ? doesLinux understand these ? Any advantages to disable these for linux ?
    for the most part , 64 bit linux is not that much faster, though i did seem to see a difference in suse in the 64bit version, though i would rather install the drivers from 32bit version, easier i remember. linux has a learning curve.
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Agreed - best to stick to the 32-bit versions unless you have a real need for 64-bit (ie, you need access to more than 4GB ram because you run a 16GB MySQL database for your own small country or something). You have a steep enough learning curve ahead of you without making things more difficult for yourself

For general desktop usage, I've noticed absolutely no difference in performance of 64-bit over 32-bit which is pretty much as I'd expect given the efficiency of modern compilers such as gcc. Any bottlenecks in perceived performance are far more likely to be due to hardware bottlenecks such as a lack of physical ram or hard disk speed which are better addressed by techniques such as prelinking (man prelink).

Ok I dumped Suse like a hot rock , it was buggy for me , firefox loaded real slow, system was slow in general, I went with Ubuntu , nice it has a add/remove programs option I understand , it looks so much better , but I am still trying to figure out now how to load the new nvidia drivers , what is my best option ?
    edit never mind I figured it out , sweet Ubuntu ROCKS ! this system flys now even with a 4000+ CPU , I was about to give up on Linux and install XP Pro but I gave this destro a try and I like it ! Now if I can get UT2004 to install I will be in heaven !
    Last edited by brothergc; 02-22-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Great - glad you've found a distro you like

sweet Ubuntu ROCKS ! this system flys now even with a 4000+ CPU
    I should think so. Linux generally has lower hardware requirements than Windows XP. I've had excellent experiences running on old 1GHz Duron systems with 256MB ram so you're system is positively high end

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    Great - glad you've found a distro you like

I should think so. Linux generally has lower hardware requirements than Windows XP. I've had excellent experiences running on old 1GHz Duron systems with 256MB ram so you're system is positively high end
    Ned I am impressed with this distro , Suse was impossible for me to install MP3 support , not here , Plays all my mps now with a old Fortissimo 3 sound card . The card never sounded this good in windows , even when it was new ! It has a crystal 4600 chipset . And to think I was about to trash the card . LOL
    Dont know if you have ever seen the windows vista comercial wher the lady takes and seems to hold a open windows from vista clasped between her fingertips . That is the 3d effects I see here with my mouse when dragging a open window .Kinda Like having a single sheet of a paper towel and holding it by each corner with you index fingers and your thumbs , totaly cool !
    With all the other distros I tryed , webpages looked sick , reminded me of surfing the web with windows 2000 and IE 6 ,with this distro it like windows xp, web pages look very nice again even at 1280x1024 .
    I seem to have many choices of software to install , huge list I have not been able to go thru yet.
    For anyone interested I am running Ubuntu 7.10
    I got from here
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Ned any idea how to properly install Unreal Tournment 2004 ? I here that it run very well in Linux .

edit: here are me curent system specs again
    Hatachi SATA 3.0 80 Gb HD
    Hercules fortissimo 3 sound
    LG IDE DVDRW drive
    EVGA 6800gs PCIE Vid card
    Biostar 550se mobo
    2x1gb OCZ Platium rev 2 ram
    4000+ new orleans core 2.6 ghz ( single core) CPU stock fan
    Nvidia on board lan
    Last edited by brothergc; 02-23-2008 at 05:49 AM.

Ned any idea how to properly install Unreal Tournment 2004 ? I here that it run very well in Linux .
    Did you try google?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...t+2004&spell=1

Try searching ubuntu forums.You will probably have to do alot of reading, fishing through alot of threads but I'm sure you will be able to find your answer there.

bingo ! That did it now playing UT2004 in Linux ! not too shabby for a linux noobie! LOL

bingo ! That did it now playing UT2004 in Linux ! not too shabby for a linux noobie! LOL
    Brilliant

Google really is a Linux noobie's best friend as you can guarantee that someone has been there before you. A big part of Linux, and open source in general, is sharing, so when someone gets something to work they like to document it and share their experiences to help others

Brilliant

Google really is a Linux noobie's best friend as you can guarantee that someone has been there before you. A big part of Linux, and open source in general, is sharing, so when someone gets something to work they like to document it and share their experiences to help others
    ok I will share !
    I copied the Linux file from the cd to my desktop. Then I gave it read /write permissions . I ran the file in a terminal window. I could not get it to install in the default directory as it was under some lockdown so I made on own directory and created a new folder . I gave that folder read/write permissions , ran the file I copied to the desktop , and bingo ! Unreal 2004 is up and running
    I did find that Ubuntu did not load the drivers for my vid card I thought , some generic nvidia drivers so UT2004 runs in open GL . looks ok I guess but I would like 3d , but it does work

I might give debian a try I see they have just released a "amd64" version . I dont know if this is a 64 bit or a 32 bit though . I see the ISO downloads are huge , taking 4 DVDs
    anyone know about this release ?
    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...amd64/iso-dvd/