Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: linux

Re: linux

Quote Originally Posted by toadman View Post
    ok thanks for the info , but still tempted with this distro as I see nvidia has 64 bit drivers for it
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    I did find that Ubuntu did not load the drivers for my vid card I thought , some generic nvidia drivers so UT2004 runs in open GL . looks ok I guess but I would like 3d , but it does work
    Nvidia drivers are available prepackaged for almost all major distros, it's just the mechanism of installing them that differs from one to another. Nvidia have both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers available.

There is a basic 2D nvidia driver (nv) included within Xorg that's free and open source but it doesn't include any 3D acceleration features, but it's fine for the vast majority of users who don't play games. Most distro's won't include the propriety nvidia drivers because they are not open source (in fact they won't include anything that isn't open source). Hence you are reliant on packagers packaging and distributing the binary drivers for that distro or getting them direct from nvidia.

It's really not any more difficult than downloading and installing a propriety 3rd party driver in Windows, just different, and in fact I'd actually say it's easier as my package management software will do it for me in one single simple command (e.g. yum install nvidia-x11-drv).

The solution is for nvidia (and other hardware vendors) to make their drivers open source and have them included in the kernel tree. This is unlikely to happen though as hardware vendors say this would compromise their propriety technology We as users need to keep putting pressure on them to do the right thing and open up their driver code to all.

Neds right as usual on nvidia drivers its very easy with ubuntu.All I do is enable restricted drivers for nvidia in the restricted drivers manager and let ubuntu handle it for me.

System-Administration-Restricted Drivers-Manager.

The only problem I see that could possibly arise is that your video card isn't supported by the restricted drivers in the repos.Which i think to be highly unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    ok thanks for the info , but still tempted with this distro as I see nvidia has 64 bit drivers for it
    thats cool that you got ut2004 installed, i am going to give it a try. you will find debian sort of hard to install,,,,,unless they have got a different installer since i last used it

how did you give the file read /write permission?
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Open up a terminal and type "gksudo nautilus" without the " "

browse to file and right click on it and set permissions you want.
    Last edited by toadman; 02-24-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: more precise and typos

For permissions, see man chmod

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    thats cool that you got ut2004 installed, i am going to give it a try. you will find debian sort of hard to install,,,,,unless they have got a different installer since i last used it

I just right clicked the file , selected properties and gave it permissions

sounds like you tryed debian , so what did you think or didn't you get it to install ?

Ububtu is a nice OS very stable , looks great , but I have yet to get it to load the drivers from nvidia that I downloaded . Its been kicking my butt realy LOL
    seeing that Ubuntu is based off of debian , that is why I am looking into it . Basicy I am looking for a destro that has the feel of Ubuntu , but does not have any additional office stuff installed , i realy have no need of any office programs . I like the visual effects of Ubuntu , the fronts and mp3 support is stunning . is their a way to run the drivers from nvidia I downloaded directly from linux ? maybe a better distro that would fit my needs with out fancy office programs ?
    Alos Ubuntu seems to lock me out of root , and that is why I am having problems running the nvidia drivers I downloaded
    Last edited by brothergc; 02-24-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Ubuntu locks you out of root by default which is why you have to use sudo in the terminal for installs and what not.It will ask you for your password also after using sudo for your protection.

I've managed to install downloaded drivers in the past on earlier releases, but more times then not I broke my ubuntu installation and I'm really still a noob to linux and never had any luck fixing the install.This is why i use the restricted drivers manager.

Normally you type "su -" in the terminal to gain root access, however ubuntu has root disabled by default and encourages users to use "sudo" to run applications with administrative privileges.

If you'd like to install the driver directly downloaded from nvidia instead of ubuntu repo, do:

1. Open a terminal windows and change directory to where you have the nvidia driver
    2. Type "chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.09.pkg1.run"
    3. Type "sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.09.pkg1.run" to run the installer.
    4. Once the installation finishes, type "sudo nvidia-xconfig" to reconfigure your xorg.conf.
    Last edited by Parn; 02-24-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Marmo:
    Ci5 4690K + Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H + 2x8GB Corsair 1600 C9 + Palit GTX980 SJ + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win7 Pro x64.

Kanon (wife's PC):
    Ci5 6600K + Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX1080 G+X 11Gbps + 256GB(SSD)/1TB(HDD) running Win8.1 Pro x64.

Alania:
    Dell Vostro 3460: Ci7 3632QM + HM77 + 6GB DDR3-1600 + Nvidia GT630M + 480GB SSD running Win7 Pro x64.

Moss (Windows Hyper-V RemoteFX server):
    Ci5 6600K + Asus Maximum VIII HERO + 2x8GB Corsair 2666 C16 + MSI GTX660 TF + 2x2TB (RAID1) HDDs running Win2012 R2 Std. x64.

Flame (Linux server / F@H):
    PIIX4 925 + ASRock 890FX Deluxe5 + 2x4GB Corsair 1833 C9 + Sapphire HD5750 1GB + 2x250GB(System RAID1)/3x500GB(3ware 9650SE-4LPML RAID5) HDDs running CentOS 6.7 x64.

Valis:
    C2Q Q9650 + Asus P5Q3 Dlx. + 2x4GB Corsair 1600 C8 + EVGA GTX560 Ti SC + 2x74GB/500GB HDDs running Fedora 21 x64.

Quote Originally Posted by Parn View Post
    Normally you type "su -" in the terminal to gain root access, however ubuntu has root disabled by default and encourages users to use "sudo" to run applications with administrative privileges.
    If you want root access, use "sudo" to gain root privileges then set the password for root using "passwd root". You still won't be able to log on as root but you will be able to "su root" once you are logged on. Also, to load nVidia driver just go the the Restricted Drivers under Adminitrative section.

Hemet, California (Mandatory age 65 + area, like Palm Springs)

I am trying out a distro named gOS right now. It works well with the Live CD and I also downloaded a VM from the same site. A neat thing about gOS is the GUI looks very much like OSX. gOS is Ubuntu based and getting good support. It's very fast on the computer I am trying it out on, it's an ASUS K8N-NEO A64 3700+ 2GB of Corsair PC3200, Creative Audigy 2 ZS and ATi X800 Pro VIVO. Everything is working I was surprised I actually had sound using it.

Wal Mart is selling a sub $200 computer with this distro installed and they are selling out as fast as the stores stock them.
    I am installing on a computer later in the week on a computer I built for a friend of the family who needs a computer for a home schooled student. It appears that gOS is this case will be a reasonable alternative to Windows.

I found this on the distro Howie posted on "gOS"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkWY7S1JmQw

gives a god look into the os
    and here is a review
    http://www.lenny.tv/2007/11/09/gos-linux-a-first-look/

I had to dump Linux , as much as I hated to I needed a printer for taxes and linux just does not work with a Canon IP1800 . shame
    I realy liked Ubuntu
    Last edited by brothergc; 02-27-2008 at 09:21 PM.

http://openprinting.org/show_printer...n-PIXMA_iP1800

Says your printer works perfectly

http://caletalinux.blogspot.com/2007...tu-feisty.html

Canon has drivers for your printer but they are released for rpm based distros,driver on this page has been tweaked to work with ubuntu and is a Deb file so should be easy or fairly easy install if you would like to try.
    Last edited by toadman; 02-27-2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: typo