Thread: winbond bh5

winbond bh5

hi

ive got 2 x 512mb geil one w in my a64 pc running a 3500+ CPU.

currently it will benchmark at 265MHz 1t 2.5-3-3-5 but I have seen people running cl2 at this speed. Just how is that done ?

thanks,
    ben

Re: winbond bh5

1) Try 2t

2) More volts.

That is how I would start anyway.

M

Forget 2T for a while (would undo any benefit of CL 2.
    You need voltage, and lots of it, 3.3v and more, like up to 3.6. You need a fan positioned to keep the modules cool so those poor little puppies don't fry.

Generally you need a DFI board or an OCZ Memory "Stabilizer" to reach the needed voltage. (I have one re-wired for modern psu's, PM me if interested)
    Performance wise it's not really worth it, but it is fun to try!!! 245 2-2-2-10 1T is the best I manged 100% F@H 24/7 stable with OCZ UTT.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Yep, BH-5 and revised CH-5 love voltage. They don't really even get started till 3.3v and it often take 3.6-3.7 to reach their limits.

hi there all,

thanks for the replies - much apprechiated.

im currently using 3.6v through them with a 80mm case fan blowing over them and as soon as I set CL 2.0 it locks up unless the frequency is below 235MHz or so.

I also set the vcore to 1.84v last night to try and get it to boot windows at 3520MHz to break my record on air by miles but it kept turning off due to a cpu temp of 87c. Not completely on topic but about the same PC - does anyone have any recomendations for a new heatsink and fan prefereably 120mm fan for this SKT939 PC on a DFI ULtra D Mobo.

thanks so much.
    ben.

Don't know if the D has drive strength adjustments but that is where you can make some progress. Also google for bios's (modded or dfi beta's) for it that are set up for BH-5

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

hi mate

it does have data drive strength adjustments i set mine -2 or something. I will check it now and see what I can get out of it again.

Go much higher. DFI Street or their successor should have lots of settings for it.
    Ram: OCZ PC3200 Gold and Gold XTC 1GB kit (2-2-2-5) (UTT-BH)
    Bios Rev: E704-2BTA (Expert Version)
    CPU: Opteron 146
    FSB Bus Frequency............................. 200 MHz
    LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... 5
    CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... 10
    PCI eXpress Frequency......................... 100

CPU Voltage .................................. 1.300V
    Above CPU VID................................. 109.6%
    LDT Voltage .................................. 1.20v
    ChipSet (NF4) Voltage ........................ 1.52V
    DRAM Voltage ................................. 2.80V
    +0.03 if not 3.2V ............................ N/A

Memclock (DRAM Frequency) .................... 200
    1T/2T Timing (Command Per Clock).............. 1T (CPC enabled)
    CAS Latency (Tcl)............................. 2T
    RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... 2T
    Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... 5T
    Row precharge time (Trp)...................... 2T
    Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... 8T
    Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... 16T
    Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... 3T
    Write recovery time (Twr)..................... 3T
    Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... 2T
    Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... 3T
    Refresh Period (Tref)......................... 3120
    DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. Auto
    DQS Skew Value................................ 0
    DRAM Drive Strength........................... Level 08
    DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... Level 2 (Reduce 30%)
    Max Async Latency............................. 8ns
    DRAM Response Time............................ Normal
    Read Preamble Time............................ 6ns
    IdleCycle Limit............................... 64
    Dynamic Counter............................... Disable
    R/W Queue Bypass.............................. 16x
    Bypass Max.................................... 4x
    32 Byte Granularity........................... Disable (4 Bursts)
    this is what OCZ has for 222. Use it as a starting point (Yes know this is dfi expert)

DFI streee OC guide http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20823
    DRAM Drive Strength

Settings = Auto, 1-8 in 1.0 increments.

Paraphrased From Adrian Wong’s site:http://www.rojakpot.com/ “Sometimes called driving strength. This feature allows you to control the memory data bus' signal strength. Increasing the drive strength of the memory bus can increase stability during overclocking. DRAM drive strength refers to the signal strength of the memory data line. A higher number means a stronger signal and is generally recommended for an overclocked module to improve stability. Supposedly TCCD works better with weak drive strength while just about everything else prefers a stronger signal.”

From bigtoe: “If you leave the option at Auto this will set a weak drive strength, this is good for TCCD based modules but bad for anything else. From testing and debugging the board I have concluded the following. Options 1 3 5 7 are all weak, as is Auto, setting. 1 is actually the weakest option with 7 being as close to the normal weak setting DFI will allow us. Options 2 4 6 8 are the Normal settings, with 8 being the highest strength setting. If you are using TCCD you may want to try 3 5 or 7 as the drive settings as they usually seem to allow the modules to clock well. If you are using VX, or the new BH Gold, or any other modules from the OCZ range you may want to try 8 or 6.”

Large Influence on Stability.

Suggested Settings for DFI: From bigtoe: “If you are using TCCD you may want to try 3 5 or 7 as the drive settings as they usually seem to allow the modules to clock well. If you are using VX, or the new BH Gold, or any other modules from the OCZ range you may want to try 8 or 6.”

DRAM Data Drive Strength

Settings = Levels 1-4 in 1.0 increments.

From Adrian Wong’s site: http://www.rojakpot.com/
    "The MD Driving Strength determines the signal strength of the memory data line. The higher the value, the stronger the signal. It is mainly used to boost the DRAM driving capability with heavier DRAM loads (multiple and/or double-sided DIMMs). So, if you are using a heavy DRAM load, you should set this function to Hi or High. Due to the nature of this BIOS option, it's possible to use it as an aid in overclocking the memory bus. Your SDRAM DIMM may not overclock as well as you wanted it to. But by raising the signal strength of the memory data line, it is possible to improve its stability at overclocked speeds. But this is not a surefire way of overclocking the memory bus. In addition, increasing the memory bus signal strength will not improve the performance of the SDRAM DIMMs. So, it's advisable to leave the MD Driving Strength at Lo/Low unless you have a high DRAM load or if you are trying to stabilize an overclocked DIMM."

Large Influence on Stability.

Suggested Settings for DFI: Many have suggested using Level 1 or 3, if you have CPC enabled. With CPC, anything above level 1 gives some users extreme instability. Some users like level 3 with CPC enabled. Some others have had success with using level 2-4 if CPC is disabled. I had good luck with CPC enabled and Level 4. (Higher = Faster)
    Last edited by TheGlasMan; 02-24-2008 at 12:04 PM.