Intel Mobo "Burn-in" feature isn't childs play

For my first oc ever, I decided to use intel's burn-in option on my intel mobo. You just go to the bios, then advanced settings, then chipsets. It lets you oc your chip by up to 4%, or underclock it by up to 2%. I set it to 4% oc (gasp!!!) without doing any extra cooling, then didn't think much more of it because around the internet they make it seem like pansy child's play. The computer ran and but an hour and a half later my machine did an auto shut-down because the temperature got too high. I let it cool, undid the oc, and all is now well. I have owned the machine 3 years and have never cleaned out the dust, so that could be a factor. But regardless, be forewarned: monitor the temperatures whenever you do an oc, no matter how tiny.

Re: Intel Mobo "Burn-in" feature isn't childs play

Please tell me that you only had the default cooler? Even then that's pretty shocking: a 4% overclock shouldn't produce any real temperature rise. I know the Intel thermal tool (can't remember the name - sorry) causes some pretty good heating, but there's deffo something wrong there - even at a 4% overclock and with an Intel cooler, it should not shut down. Only thing I can think is that the default shutdown temp is set low - it should be at least 80oC.

M

I have the default cooler that came with the gateway machine, but yeah it's still weird. Your theory of a low default shutdown temp combined with my never having cleaned the dust out of my fans may explain it.

my never having cleaned the dust out of my fans may explain it.
    Not the dust in the fans, it's the dust in the heatsink that kills you
    Last edited by TheGlasMan; 02-26-2008 at 10:57 PM.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I see what you mean, TheGlassMan. I just opened up both of my computers and finally took a can of dust-off to them, almost choking on the clouds that came out. The fans looked no where near the breaking point despite years of not being cleaned. That makes sense now that I think about it. How could very much dust settle in a <i>fan</i> lol. But the heatsinks did have some dust in them.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3.0ghz pentium 4 with hyperthreading, 2gb 3-3-3-8 corsair value select ram, geforce 7900gt ko 256mb