Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Re: PCPer Podcast with new Enhanced version

Quote Originally Posted by djotter View Post
    Devil 2 U, we all hear you!

Been waiting for a direct video download for a while, best i've found is On Demand TWIT Video which host the PC Per podcasts.
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devil 2 U View Post
    Hey Ryan,

I listen to your podcast each week, but on occasion I catch it on TWIT Live. Seeing video of what you are actually discussing is so much better. If there was anyway you could release a video download of each episode, I think you audience would get even more out of each show.

Keep up the great work.
    Thanks.
    The recorded sessions usually make it to Ryan's Vimeo account: http://www.vimeo.com/pcper

Not sure if that is actually what you're getting at, but it may work for you.

Hei Guys (& Colleen), I tried searching the podcast pages for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which was recommended by Allyn in PC Perspective Podcast #95 - 02/25/10 but got no result when searching your site. Is this a glip?

Quote Originally Posted by cintra View Post
    Hei Guys (& Colleen), I tried searching the podcast pages for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which was recommended by Allyn in PC Perspective Podcast #95 - 02/25/10 but got no result when searching your site. Is this a glip?
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Honestly malwarebytes is not that great IMO, it has problems removing a lot of spyware which I can say from person experience having dealt with this crap quite a bit on a day-to-day basis.

Although antispyware/malware software quality tends to change every now and then, for the moment I would recommend going with super antispyware or the google pack version of spyware doctor. Both are free for non-commercial use; spyware doctor is super bloated and will slow older or weaker systems quite a bit. Super antispyware is a bit dumb in the GUI and search options department, but it does what it needs to do quite well.
    Last edited by ToiT; 05-05-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: switched from weak grammar to poor

Hey Ryan
    I was watching your latest podcast today and couldn't help but laughing at Colleen's remark that"optical media is dead".
    Yes I can agree that media is moving slowly to a more online-streaming format but I can tell you that nothing will beat a blu-ray for sheer quality of viewing, games included.
    You see I was watching Lasse Pulkkinen's Youtube channel where he is comparing the Xbox 360 and PS3 Side by side and in one of his vids he talks about Blu-ray and it's benefits. He explains that online-streaming of HD Content in particular you can notice alot of compression artifacts in the video, and I believe tghis to be pretty true. Blu-ray's have far superior audio too with Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio and the video wuality won't be compromised or playback ,by your bandwidth, and that's another problem with streaming media, how your ISP can keep up with all the data.
    Blu-ray's also feature interactivity that streaming services usually don't and I personlly prefer a hard boxed copy of my games/films no matter how good digital versions are. I like the box and manual and safe in the knowledge I can play it whenever I want.
    Just a few pointers I wanted to highlight for you Ryan.
    Cheers
    Sam
    Sam

Cool Re: PCPer Podcast #104

Hey Ryan, et al.

Love the podcast and TWICH. I was listening to podcast 104 on my way home when Colleen started going off about the Acer Ferrari. The reason Acer is making the Ferrari model is because Acer is a major sponsor of the Ferrari Formula 1 team as is AMD. The Formula 1 series is considered the epitome of high technology applied to autos and auto racing. The race cars are basically computers on 4 wheels that go over 200 miles per hour. There are many teams that use AMD chips and a like number that use Intel chips in the cars. In 2005 Acer brought out a model of laptop called the Ferrari 4000, which was the top of the line notebook at the time and had all the options available at the time, e.g. AMD Turion 64, ATI Radeon 200M chipset, etc. <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2476>. I own one and it is still a very capable laptop with Windows 7.
    Just thought you might want to know why the branding is what it is.

Ciao!

High End Storage Comparison: Quad-Velociraptors versus Dual-SSDs

Why no raid-10 or raid-0 benchmark with the raptors? raid-5 is terrible for writes in a raid configuration. I'm from the "enterprise" of san knowledge and seeing you compare that raid-5 to raid-0 surprised me and made me wonder what I was missing??!? I'm new here and love the podcasts!!

here is a great article on the comparison...

http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt

Quote Originally Posted by dlove View Post
    High End Storage Comparison: Quad-Velociraptors versus Dual-SSDs

Why no raid-10 or raid-0 benchmark with the raptors? raid-5 is terrible for writes in a raid configuration. I'm from the "enterprise" of san knowledge and seeing you compare that raid-5 to raid-0 surprised me and made me wonder what I was missing??!? I'm new here and love the podcasts!!

here is a great article on the comparison...

http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt
    i'd imagine no raid 0 for the spinning drives because mechanicals are more likely to fail?
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz (45 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
    SB X-Fi Xtreme Music + Steelseries 5H V2
    XFX 6950 2gb (6970 bios) / 2 x 25.5" Asus VW266H 1920x1200
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    i'd imagine no raid 0 for the spinning drives because mechanicals are more likely to fail?
    I hear ya but with R-10 I think the comparison would be a lot closer between spinning drives and ssd in write performance. I say retest!

the controller can do R-10 according to this:

http://www.areca.us/products/pcie.htm

Just a bit of a complaint i suppose, but the video version of PCPer podcast really needs a pop out video option. Vimeo is great and all, but with only 2 choices for playback (in browser or full screen) you can't browse at the same time to research what you guys are talking about.

Trivial i know, but it sure would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BootDiscError View Post
    Just a bit of a complaint i suppose, but the video version of PCPer podcast really needs a pop out video option. Vimeo is great and all, but with only 2 choices for playback (in browser or full screen) you can't browse at the same time to research what you guys are talking about.

if you watch it live there's the twit.tv desktop apps.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz (45 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
    SB X-Fi Xtreme Music + Steelseries 5H V2
    XFX 6950 2gb (6970 bios) / 2 x 25.5" Asus VW266H 1920x1200
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Well, i try to catch it live when i can, but i usually get home from work only to catch the last 15 minutes (traffic sucks in LA).

Quote Originally Posted by BootDiscError View Post

What about opening a new tab?
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Yeah, that's the option i've been using, but i get quite a few going and accidentally close it sometimes (i know, my own mistake) when closing unused tabs.

Not a biggie. Just something i thought i'd throw out there (really to suit my own taste/habits).

it's live right now ...unless you're reading this later