Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

snapped shot Closed Down?/Reopened

It's worth a thread as Brian is a member here and something sure seems fishy

http://www.snappedshot.com/

Re: snappedshot snappedshut?

See here. Sheesh. My experience with Brian is he's one of the best out there in crediting when its needed.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl...etter#comments

From the US Copyright Website - [Link: www.copyright.gov...]
    "One of the rights accorded to the owner of copyright is the right to reproduce or to authorize others to reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords. This right is subject to certain limitations found in sections 107 through 118 of the Copyright Act (title 17, U. S. Code). One of the more important limitations is the doctrine of “fair use.” Although fair use was not mentioned in the previous copyright law, the doctrine has developed through a substantial number of court decisions over the years. This doctrine has been codified in section 107 of the copyright law.
    Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered “fair,” such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research

Re: snappedshot snappedshut?

Snapped Shot Shut Down by AP
    Jawa Report, TX - 3 hours ago
    Brian from Snapped Shot received a cease and desist order from the AP for using their images. I told Brian "tell the AP to go jump in a river". ...

More here

http://media.nationalreview.com/post...ZhYTk0MjgzZDA=

Re: snapped shot Closed Down?

The Jawa Report (I love this site!), The New Media Matters and michnews.com have all been dropped from Google News due to "hate speech" postings. Which is a total crock btw.

Seems Brian Ledbetter is under similar (censored-like) attack - just from a different source.

NOT just a little bit unsettling...........

Can TLR be far behind?
    Last edited by TMack409; 03-01-2008 at 09:02 AM.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

If $$$ is needed for legal fees, I'm in.

Just tell me where to send it................
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Maybe Brian will stop by. I noticed him on yesterday in the AM.
    But maybe he's just laying low. The whole deal ...as others have said...just seems like a bully tactic.

Oh is he a member? That's cool.

The guy deserves a lot of credit. The MSM obviously don't like being called out on their dodgy little tricks.

Google better watch itself too. If it becomes part of "the man", it's very soon going to lose its appeal.

He sure is. And a good guy. Back when Rageboy was all over the news
    he was good enough to credit Scooter for some things he found and nothing impresses me more than a guy that goes out of his way like that.
    He did similar with Electric Bill's creation as well.

http://forums.pcper.com/member.php?u=109928

Also? If I were up against this? Id be asking these guys for advice.
    And Id probably be handing AP a bill for advertising their crappy pictures.

http://volokh.com/

Id say Glenn Reynolds but its impossible [nearly] to get by his email filters.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-01-2008 at 12:40 PM.

jimz, pls forward this...

Brian

I've had similar dealings with media and it's a tough call on IP law and free use.

The letter is setting a precedent by comparing the site to other bloggers that license the material. That should be the first response to the AP contact. Explain how you are different before the legal fees commence.

One argument they will make is that you have a .com which signifies a for profit. They will argue you make a profit from their materials that they have established prices on. They may argue, unsuccessfully, that you take business away from them.

Consider setting up a .org (easy to redirect from your .com) as well as setting up a 503c corporation to limit liability in your personal assets.

Another suggestion is not to use the internet as a bully pulpit on these matters right now. Every time a site links the story and the story grows, AP will dig their heels in and could possibly take the tact that their IP lawyer is probably on retainer and ready to bury you on the debatable questions simply by court costs and legal fees. It doesn't matter if you are right or wrong if the site goes down because the bills are piling up. So stop the DIGGS, get the other sites to tone down because while you may be feeding them clicks because of the story, it won't mean sh!t for you if AP wants to force their hand.

First contact AP to see if matters can be worked out. Avoid legal costs unless some nonprofit group is willing to do something to represent you on ammendment rights. Many will shy away if it's a copyright issue.

Find an IP lawyer in your area that you can walk in on, though I've had success using email if the IP attny agrees up front to keep you in the loop and see things before they are sent. Many times a position is formed that may not jive with what you want to do.

Estimated cost if you hire someone good and avoid court, $2000. Go to court $4-10K. A matter I had to resolve out of court just with lawyers going back and forth was $3500.

Hope that helps and good luck. -o

Done just now and thanks otoc.

I had forgotten your first hand experience with this sort of thing.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 03-01-2008 at 04:15 PM.

lol, more than I would care to remember. I stayed away from saying how much a real drag out case can cost that looks to set precedent. I didn't want to scare him.

Thanks for forwarding that, I was pressed for time and wanted to get my thoughts out sooner than later. It's hard when you get hit with something like that and everyone has an opinion based on opinion.

And I get flack around here for having faith in the courts and lawyers...

I should be the first to be on the bandwagon of stop the ACLU, trial lawyers, litigation, but you know what? Considering the alternatives, the system we have is better than the system I've seen suggested to date.

Gotta go, lost another friend today who will never see 60 or retirement. Life's too short to sit around and complain about things!

heeee.... there is ONE way to fix the... quite loudly and forceably....

just have the site repeated thousands (or more) time all accross the internet under different domains and names and what not and have some hacker types rig it up so that they're all untrackable.

screw the AP!
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niem÷ller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

this is disturbing though. if a bunch of rich ••••s control all that we see as news... i mean... we wouldn't even be in america any longer

∂∂
    ╬╗╬”╬”╬”╬Ă═∂ňƒsefňfee┤┤┤┤∂ň∂ƒ▀dgagadfdsasssafwe

we wouldn't.... what the hell is wrong with my keyboard... be in american any more at that point would we? i mean... free speech would basically be down the drain without the ability to criticize our own press...

of course... if people saw the importance of this case, and the press "won"... wouldn't they have lost? many people don't trust the press nowadays anyway.... the winning of this case would make them completely worthless. they'd be even more glorified tabloids than they already are.
    Last edited by old82; 03-01-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niem÷ller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."