Need advice to overclock my new Gigabyte D3SL and E2180

I just built this computer not too long ago and I'm just wondering what setting you guys are using to overclock your board? I'm just aiming for 2.8 to 3.0ghz since I don't have a watercooling setup, but rather a Thermalright Ultima 90 and a 120mm fan. I want to keep things as cool as possible. I also have a 2x1GB Crucial PC6400 Ballistix DDR2 memory. Some settings such as CPU and memory voltages would be great. Also, are you guys using the latest BIOS for your motherboard? If so, which one? Can I install the BIOS from Windows Vista?

Re: Need advice to overclock my new Gigabyte D3SL and E2180

Great board (check sig) you chose there!!

Yes you can update the bios in Vista with the @Bios utility, use the F7 Bios.

I'm running my E6750 @3600Mhz, 8x450. My CPU voltage is set to 1.36 in the bios with the mem running a 2x divider. You shouldn't need to fiddle with any voltage other than CPU and mem. For starts leave your ram timings on auto and raise the FSB 5-10Mhz at a time and test for stability.

Be sure to disable all the throttling settings in the bios, forget thier names ATM but there are at least 2 to disable and also set PCIE Frquency to 100Mhz..
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

Well, only last night I ordered a Gigabyte D3SL and E2180.

It'll be here on Tuesday I hope.

From what I hear, It should easily go to 3Ghz. Just up the FSB from 200 to 333 to do that. The stock fan should be ok, but an after market one will be better of course. As long as the temperature in kept below 70c it'll be fine. You'll have to bump up the vcore a tad to make it stable, but that goes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Fanatic View Post
    Great board (check sig) you chose there!!

Yes you can update the bios in Vista with the @Bios utility, use the F7 Bios.

I'm running my E6750 @3600Mhz, 8x450. My CPU voltage is set to 1.36 in the bios with the mem running a 2x divider. You shouldn't need to fiddle with any voltage other than CPU and mem. For starts leave your ram timings on auto and raise the FSB 5-10Mhz at a time and test for stability.

Be sure to disable all the throttling settings in the bios, forget thier names ATM but there are at least 2 to disable and also set PCIE Frquency to 100Mhz..
    So I've done a bit of reading and I'm wondering if the system memory multiplier is the same as memory divider? I see the option to set the value to 2 for SPD, but I haven't done anything like that yet. SPD is still at "Auto". I just left memory and CPU voltages at default and my system seems to be passing Orthos at 2.5ghz for about 20 min.

Yes, the system memory multiplier is the divider. Just keep upping the FSB until it crashes and then add voltage as needed.
    Gigabyte 890XA UD3, Phenom II X6 1090T,4Ghz 2600nb w/Corsair H50, 2x2GB and 2x4GB GSKILL FLARE 1800Mhz DDR3, PNY GTX570, OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB SSD, Intel X25 80GB SSD, Klipsch ProMedia 4.1, ASUS DVDRW, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair 650W Professional series, Hanspree 26" widescreen, Cyborg R.A.T 5/Cyborg Gaming keyboard, Win7 64 Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Fanatic View Post
    Yes, the system memory multiplier is the divider. Just keep upping the FSB until it crashes and then add voltage as needed.
    Okay, I set SPD to 2 and CPUID now says memory divider is 1:1. CPU voltage is at 1.35V and the memory voltage is boosted by 0.2V. My setup just ran Orthos for 2 hours and it seems stable at 2.7ghz. I'll test for 2.8 and possibly 2.9ghz tomorrow. How much more voltages should I apply to the RAM? Is 0.2V getting to be too much?

Any other settings that I need to worry about? Can I adjust my RAM's timings? I remember being able to do that with my DFI NF4 system, but I don't see such option with the Gigabyte.

There's probably not a lot of point in running the RAM any higher than about 2.0V - it's designed for 1.8V. 2.1V if you really want to, but expect it to get pretty hot.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    There's probably not a lot of point in running the RAM any higher than about 2.0V - it's designed for 1.8V. 2.1V if you really want to, but expect it to get pretty hot.

M
    How do I know what my memory voltage is currently at? Since it's boosted to 0.2V, I don't see any numbers on the BIOS screen. I'm still somewhat shocked that my setup is stable at 2.85ghz after running Orthos 2004 for 9.5 hours. The CPU temperature is only 34 degrees Celcius! I'm going to try 3ghz and I think I'll leave it at that if it's stable.

Do you or anyone else know if it's possible to tighten the memory timings?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    How do I know what my memory voltage is currently at? Since it's boosted to 0.2V, I don't see any numbers on the BIOS screen. I'm still somewhat shocked that my setup is stable at 2.85ghz after running Orthos 2004 for 9.5 hours. The CPU temperature is only 34 degrees Celcius! I'm going to try 3ghz and I think I'll leave it at that if it's stable.

Do you or anyone else know if it's possible to tighten the memory timings?

BIOS should tell you a rough figure for the RAM voltage. As for tightening the memory timing, the answer is (as it always is with overclocking): try and and tell us. Seriously, there really is only one way to know. But alter one setting at a time, and by 1 at a time. Leave command rate at 2T until last if that's what it's at. If it's already at 1T then ignore me. Auto means check in CPU-Z.

M

You need to know the stock spec voltage of the ram. So if its spec'ed at 1.8v and you upped it 0.2v your at or about 2.0v. Should be more than enough for your minor OC.

And to think in the old days we changed the clock by soldering on the boards, soldering pins on boards for jumpers and lapped the cpu's on the boards. also walked 3 miles in ice storms to work and back. Up hill both ways. If we had the net back then we would have been building atom bombs. Fig. out a puter OC seemed easy.

Just stomp its guts. When the guts come out its butt. You then stomped tooooo hard.

Have fun learning the OC!
    GO VIKES!

Actually it was the E2160 I bought. That's a 1.8Ghz chip by default. I got it up to 3.0Ghz easily enough. I'm just going through the process of finding a stable voltage using Orthos to test it. Nearly there I think.

Even i agree with suggestion given by meridian