Motherboard Capacitors?

Hopfully this thread will fit here.

I have an intel MB with 560uF caps and don't have that value. Can I use 1000uf instead?
    Main Beast: Alienware Style!!
    Antec SX-1040 w/400 Smartpower | Intel D865PERL | P4 3.0C Prescott | 1024MB Kingston PC2700 DDR & 400 Dual Channel | ATi X1650 PRO 512MB AGP | DUAL 74GB WD Raptors (RAID 0) | TDK indiDVD 420N DVD/CD Burner | Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical KB/MS | Zoom V.92 56K Modem | Samsung SyncMaster 932GW 19" Widescreen LCD 2ms Response | Vista Ultimate 32 bit | Will be replacing soon! |

Apple:
    Mac Mini (MC238LL/A) | Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz | 2GB | 160GB | OS X 10.6.2 / Vista Ultimate 32bit |

Laptop:
    Gateway 7405GX | AMD Athlon64 M 3700+ (Newark) | 2GB DDR | ATi 9600 Mobility Radeon | 100GB 7K100 Hitachi | 8x DVDRW/CDRW | 56k V.92 | 802.11g | 15.4" SB WXGA With "0" Dead Pixels! | XP Home SP3 / Vista Ultimate 32bit|

Re: Motherboard Capacitors?

I'd think so but this is based on my so-so understand of my class 2 years ago about the subject.

If you think about it a capacitor is keeping a lot of charges ready to be released when needed. So if you have more charges ready when you need them it shouldn't hurt ... (english is not my primary language so dont be too harsh on that description)

but I would not act on my reply alone as this is what I think but there is a slight (to average) chances that I'm wrong.

from my understanding, you can go up on that part, but not the voltage part, but this is what I believe is correct.

No. You can run a higher power rating, but not a different capacitance.

M

Sort of like tuning a guitar, skinny strings can't make low notes, and thick strings can't make high ones, and the frequency (time to charge and discharge) of the capacitor matters as it absorbs high voltages and raises low voltages to keep voltage steady on the circuit. Changing the capacitor will change the tune.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

This is straight for badcaps website:
    " Now that you've got all your equipment lined out, you need to make sure that you've identified ALL your bad caps and located NEW replacements for your board. VERY IMPORTANT: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD YOU CHANGE THE CAPACITANCE RATING OF THE CAPACITORS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!! DOING SO MAY HAVE TRAGIC RESULTS FOR YOUR BOARD!! Some will argue this point to death, but the way I see it is this.... The engineers that designed these boards know far more than all of us put together about this. Unless there was a factory revision that changed the capacitance rating, I think it's safe to assume the engineers knew what they were doing. Remember, the reason for the failure was NOT the capacitor's value, but rather a poorly manufactured capacitor!! Slight variations will not harm anything, but don't stray too far from the 20% tolerance of the original capacitor's farad rating.

However, increasing the rated voltage is OK. The only thing the capacitor voltage rating means is the amount of voltage the capacitor was designed to handle. Increasing this value is OK, but NEVER decrease the voltage!! For example, it is safe to replace a 6.3v capacitor with a 16v capacitor, but NOT visa-versa. The only thing increasing rated voltage will do is enable the capacitor to handle a little more voltage. If you encounter a cap on your board rated at 10v, those can be safely substituted with 6.3v caps. On ANY 10v cap on a mainboard or on a PSU secondary, they're always on the 5v or 3.3v rails, and can be substituted with a 6.3v cap. On that note, NEVER decrease the voltage rating of a 16v cap unless you're absolutely sure that its on a low voltage rail (5v or 3.3v rail). Most all the time, a 16v cap in a mainboard is on the 12v power rail, and can not be decreased!

One more thing, NEVER cannibalize your replacement capacitors from some old motherboard you have in your junk pile!! You might be using capacitors that are in worse shape than the ones you're removing! You will also need the long and straight leads on the new capacitors! The holes in the motherboard are extremely small and delicate!! Trying to stuff a bent up, solder blobbed, and short lead into those holes is very difficult and can have fatal results if a mistake is made!!"

So I stand corrected, it was bassackerds from what I said, must be the beer.....lol

Thanks for the replys. Will order correct ones.
    Main Beast: Alienware Style!!
    Antec SX-1040 w/400 Smartpower | Intel D865PERL | P4 3.0C Prescott | 1024MB Kingston PC2700 DDR & 400 Dual Channel | ATi X1650 PRO 512MB AGP | DUAL 74GB WD Raptors (RAID 0) | TDK indiDVD 420N DVD/CD Burner | Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical KB/MS | Zoom V.92 56K Modem | Samsung SyncMaster 932GW 19" Widescreen LCD 2ms Response | Vista Ultimate 32 bit | Will be replacing soon! |

Apple:
    Mac Mini (MC238LL/A) | Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz | 2GB | 160GB | OS X 10.6.2 / Vista Ultimate 32bit |

Laptop:
    Gateway 7405GX | AMD Athlon64 M 3700+ (Newark) | 2GB DDR | ATi 9600 Mobility Radeon | 100GB 7K100 Hitachi | 8x DVDRW/CDRW | 56k V.92 | 802.11g | 15.4" SB WXGA With "0" Dead Pixels! | XP Home SP3 / Vista Ultimate 32bit|

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

I bow down to the wisdom found in this thread

This why i love pc pers.More then just oc this oc that,you will find a lecture an electrical engineer would give lol