Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTF is wrong with my Heatsink?

So i've got this Ultra 120 extreme. A, suposedly, godly heatsink and it just doesn't cool worth crap.

It's prob like 30C ambiant and my Q6600 B3 idles at about 42C + or -. P95 small FTT maxes out at 65C.
    How the hell are people getting temps so low with this thing. i see people with ~30c idle temps and max
    load of like 50c and i don't think their ambiants are much different then mine.

I was on one forum where somebody was unhappy that his quad with TRUE was running "hot" idling at 35c lol,
    and people on there were even agreeing that was kind of warm, WTF i would kill if i could even get mine to do that.

I have a ton of airflow in my case, i've lapped the HS and even tried using a washer underneath the clip for better downforce. I've ran out of things to try now. Im sure it's keeping my proc plently cool enough so that it's not gonna fry, but it really bothers me that i can't get better performance out of this thing. I've prob took it off and put it back on about 10 times now.

Ohh and my proc is only OC to 3ghz with basicly stock voltage.

Pretty soon here im just gonna give a big middle finger to air cooling and go water.
    Last edited by zeejay; 03-08-2008 at 09:25 PM.
    -Zeejay

Cool Re: WTF is wrong with my Heatsink?

What do you expect after altering the cooler by lapping the base, Thermalright says that their base is convex on purpose, in other words designed that way. Why, because Intel's heat spreaders are concave, which means that if you wanted both to mate, you ruined your chances by only lapping the cooler, to do it right, you'd have to lap the CPU's heat spreader as well.

Even Swiftech's bases on their CPU Liquid Cooling blocks are convex for the same reason Thermalright's is.

Re: WTF is wrong with my Heatsink?

Quote Originally Posted by PowerHungry View Post
    What do you expect after altering the cooler by lapping the base, Thermalright says that their base is convex on purpose, in other words designed that way. Why, because Intel's heat spreaders are concave, which means that if you wanted both to mate, you ruined your chances by only lapping the cooler, to do it right, you'd have to lap the CPU's heat spreader as well.

Even Swiftech's bases on their CPU Liquid Cooling blocks are convex for the same reason Thermalright's is.
    I diddn't lap it until after i used it for a while, it made almost no diff when i did, maybe 1c better but hard to say..
    -Zeejay

AFAIK, the B3's run a little warmer. How flat (or even) is the IHS on the proc? Mine had more waves than the ocean.

Yeah the B3's run hot. Im not too keen on lapping the IHS, but it's probably not that flat i'll bet. I switched from a Zalman 9700 to this sink, never could get the zalman to work that well either.
    -Zeejay

I bought a Thermalright Ultra 120 a long while back, as in the first day it was available. I used it on my oc'd Opteron 165. I was completely unimpressed by it's cooling capabilities considering how ridiculously huge it is. I bought an SI-120 and the temps at both idle and load were the same as the Ultra. The only thing I could think of was that because the Ultra was SO tall, I couldn't close the side of my case and this affected airflow bad enough in my case that it ruined any cooling benefits that the Ultra may have brought.

I'm still using the SI-120 on my oc'd Q6600 btw. I get temps of 35C idle and around 50C load. This is with the Q6600 running at 3.0ghz and the volts at 1.295.

My temps are actually not too out of line IMO, i doubt I'll have issue because my proc runs in the 50's and 60's. I've been thinking about going water cooling by the summer anyhow.

I just finished reseating the heat sink yet again. This time i tried the stock paste that came with it instead of the normal AS5 i was using.

While i had it off i took a look at the contact again, it definitely looks like my IHV is lopsided.

Temps are ok atm 32 lowest core and 39 highest, guess i will have to live with that. It will prob get hotter though in the day time.
    -Zeejay

I haven't changed anything from last night, ambiant temps are about the same but now im idiling mid to high 40's
    -Zeejay

Disable all fan speed controlling software including the bios. Also check task manager to see if you are actually idling.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

What I was told is that the G0 stepping runs much cooler than any of the others.

The slope of the IHS on the CPU is minuscule enough to play a major role and in some cases not always the same from CPU to CPU. In order to have made a difference is if you lapped the heatsink for hours scraping off a lot of copper.

So, I'd read up on the stepping, but lapping the CPU for the same amount of time you spent on the heatsink (if they are made of the same metal), is also good because my previous statement is mainly speculation.

The GO undoubtably runs cooler, my issue is that i've seen people with B3's that are still getting better temps then me by a good bit.
    Saw one review where it kept a B3 quad under 65 on P95 small FTT @ 3.3 1.5v. mine would prob hit 70 at that.

I think whats happening is the thermal paste kinda settles and it isn't filling the gap as well after a day or so. I sat the cpu on the base of the HS last time i had it apart and checked the whole flatness. It almost looks like my IHS goes like ---___ thats a really drastic representation of it but basicly it's lopsided a bit. I ordered a nice set of sand paper and im going to polish up the HS a bit more and do my CPU as well when it gets here. I diddn't really have the finest grit i wanted when i was lapping before. We'll see how it works out.
    Last edited by zeejay; 03-11-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    -Zeejay

i just noticed no one asked what you were using to check your temps because some programs are fairly inaccurate??? and if your ambient temp is 30 the from what i'm use to your temps are about right. 55 is about as good as you should get with that setup at 3ghz and thats if you can lower your ambient in the lower 20's

First off make sure the fan attached to the cooler is blowing the hot air out of the case and not into the rest of the components. That will amke a huge difference. Second make sure the fan is actually spining all the time. When i first got my fan it would die at randoms times and i would get a warning that the CPU temp is above 65C. If that doesnt work I'm not sure what will, since you have already said you repasted the HS. But once I had my fan spining all of the time I was getting temps of appx 23C on a Q6600 @3.2ghz.

First off make sure the fan attached to the cooler is blowing the hot air out of the case and not into the rest of the components. That will amke a huge difference. Second make sure the fan is actually spining all the time. When i first got my fan it would die at randoms times and i would get a warning that the CPU temp is above 65C. If that doesnt work I'm not sure what will, since you have already said you repasted the HS. But once I had my fan spining all of the time I was getting temps of appx 23C on a Q6600 @3.2ghz.