Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Re: Gas prices

it just went to $4.09 here... which is all cool and crap cus now you can tell your mates "hey, i just put some 409 in my gas tank!" and they'll be all like "wow, his engine's gonna be all clean and shit" .... and you'll be like "no man, $4.09 gan, man"... and then they'll be all let down and crap.

i'm just trying to see some humor in it. that's up 10 cents in about a weeks time
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Oil markets: Bottoming out or taking a breather?
    Taking a breather. Round two is going to be a doozie. Btw, we might be liberating Iran too!

Prediction: $6.50 a gallon by the end of next year.

petrol here costs about £1.23 a litre here at the moment, it costs me 50 quid to fill the 11.4 gallon tank in my vauxhall astra.

due to the commute to work im spending about £250 a month just on petrol. and i only drive a 1.6 lol.

woo

Hmm. Maybe I should buy a 5000 gallon tank of gasoline as an investment. Sell it next year or the year after. Heck, it has a higher interest than most other things at this point.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a dinosaur.

Filled up today, 92 for my STI went down 10¢ to $4.03. Other grades only went down 4-5¢ depending on the station here in my little town of 2,000, Cedar Rapids is even lower. Good to see a bit of a drop...

Some Minnesota team....win!

|3DMark '03|When all else fails, you always have Lorcet|3DMark '06|

Now imagine if we had spent the money we have for the Iraq war on setting up oil rigs for the massive amount of oil we have here at home...

It's like we're intentionally saving our oil by using everyone else's first.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by TBird761 View Post
    Hmm. Maybe I should buy a 5000 gallon tank of gasoline as an investment. Sell it next year or the year after. Heck, it has a higher interest than most other things at this point.
    Gasoline is unstable. If you let it sit around for a long time, it will go stale and form varnish in the tank. You would be better off with diesel.

Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache

Quote Originally Posted by TBird761 View Post
    Now imagine if we had spent the money we have for the Iraq war on setting up oil rigs for the massive amount of oil we have here at home...

It's like we're intentionally saving our oil by using everyone else's first.
    Last point. Seems that way at times. But with the push away from oil it strikes me as a fortune lost.....since Congress wont allow any new drilling
    in likely areas. And that policy would be enforced with or without the Iraq war.

The killer I read the other day? Congress ia actually considering a tax increase on gas.
    Since weve cut back on consumption? Revenue is off for Highways etc.
    So maybe our reward tor limiting consumption will be higher taxes on gas and diesel.
    Some incentive huh?
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 07-22-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    Last point. Seems that way at times. But with the push away from oil it strikes me as a fortune lost.....since Congress wont allow any new drilling
    in likely areas. And that policy would be enforced with or without the Iraq war.

The killer I read the other day? Congress ia actually considering a tax increase on gas.
    So maybe our reward tor limiting consumption will be higher taxes on gas and diesel.
    Some incentive huh?
    Off topic, but this reminds of an article read a while back. Some town (In Georgia, I believe) was faced with a water shortage and the citizens were urged to cut back on their water use. They actually did (and did a pretty good job of it too) and were rewarded with higher water prices.
    Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

I hear that. The "conditioning" just amazes me. How Government can assume
    that a fall off in consumption of gas can be twisted into a self serving/perpetuating position is something Id expect from David Blaine...the magician.

Some incentive huh?
    This doesn't surprise me at all. My city is planning on doing something similar only with water. They screwed up and figured there would be a lot more new homes being built last year and this year so far than what there have been. They get a lot of the water budget apparently from new home construction.

Now they have somewhat of an emergency on their hands. What to do? Oh wait, phew, we're government, let's just shake the money tree (ie, customers with no choice but to use them) a little harder. Actually, let's shake this tree a LOT harder!

They want to raise water rates at least 28% right off the bat, but I have it on good authority that this is just the tip of the iceberg. There are rumors floating around of a 178% increase within 2 years. If that nightmare becomes reality, my monthly water bill in the summer would be well over $350.00!

This city is already as brown as the desert, with unwatered and unkept yards becoming the norm, not the exception as it used to be. If the new water rates do become reality, it'll be the dust bowl here.

THIS SEEMS PROMISING: "The Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Land Management today published proposed regulations to establish a commercial oil shale program that could result in the addition of up to 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from lands in the western United States. "
    posted at 04:29 PM by Glenn Reynolds

THIS SEEMS PROMISING: "The Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Land Management today published proposed regulations to establish a commercial oil shale program that could result in the addition of up to 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from lands in the western United States. "
    [/B]
    ABC did a news segment on this a couple of weeks ago, so I did some preliminary research of my own on oil shale extraction. There are a number of extraction processes that are being tested currently, but none that can be pursued immediately to provide short-term relief. Regardless of the extraction process, each carries their own set of environmental impacts. The largest concentration of oil shale deposits are in the western US states such as Colorado (I wonder if kbohip's reading this? ), where water shortages exist and rates have been on the increase. Surface mining and retorting not only consumes large amounts of water (anywhere between 1-5 barrels of water is needed to produce 1 barrel of shale oil, depending on method used), but it also generates wastewater (measured in gallons) for every ton of shale oil produced. Surface water and groundwater will become contanimated with metals, not to mention surface and air pollution. Of course, the oil shale processing plants could treat the wastewater internally before it is introduced into waterways, but that in itself is a costly undertaking, and I'm sure those costs will be passed along to the consumer. I see many parallels between oil shale extraction and tar sands extraction in Alberta, Canada, where environmental effects are concerned.

A true patriot is a lover of his country who rebukes and does not excuse its sins.
    - Frederick Douglas

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - President Dwight D. Eisenhower

Just filled up for $3.93/gal in Show Low Arizona. Never imagined I'd think that anything under $4 is a "deal".
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11