Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas prices

Re: Gas prices

Look at this carefully. It came up in a thread at TLR from member Orangutan

We can't simply stop using oil, nor can we just stop using foreign oil. As you say, we need a combination of things to end this thing eventually. Nothing is going to happen overnight.

We should build new refineries within the U.S., but they should be clean ones.
    Agreeed,,,, one of our major issues right now is we can't refine. We are at or very near max production. We also need to refine more diesel. Gas has been subsdizing diesel for ever in the USA. Thus the very low diesel prices up until the last year or so.

We should extract more oil within the U.S., but not with reckless disregard for that extraction's impacts.
    We need more oil production at home. And it is there to be got. We also need to have more storage of oil for national security. It is the black gold of our times.

We should use as little oil as possible from OPEC, instead getting as much as possible from friendlier countries.
    Everybody hates us. Truth be known. I would rather have Saudi oil than oil from some of the dictators in south and central america. And no Russian oil. Let them bath in the stuff. Russia is just as corrupt and iron fisted as it was under Stalin.

We need to abolish ethanol subsidies and divert those many millions of dollars to research efforts into sustainable fuels and energy sources.
    This needs to be abolished right now. We went down this road once. Remember GAS-o-HAUL? It didn't work in the late 70's and early 80's. It won't work now.

We need to mandate that biofuels be made only from non-foodstock sources.
    Yep

We need to trash this recent increase in CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) standards, as they're utterly useless in decreasing oil consumption. Instead, they add complexity and cost to vehicles, which increases the burden on the consumer, with the poor hurting the most from such increases.
    Nope,,, we need to double CAFE. The tech has been with us for years. One needs to look no farther than say Honda with there lean burn tech. And its does not need be a hybrid to use. The Honda Civic VX of old was a lean burn engine. While it put out more Nox because of lean burn. They now have CAT tech to deal with this. This has been proven with the new lean burn diesel. Semi and full Otto cycle head tech is reality. This is needed. Prius is a full Otto head I think. and I know the R18 Civic is partial. The new 1.8L Civic engine will go into low load/crusing at 1.5L ignition strokes. It is seamless. I owned on of these cars for 18 months. CAFE has given us much better engines and push the tech to levels most never thought possible.

We need to build new nuclear power plants to replace fossil fuel ones and to cope with an increased demand on the power grid, especially if electric vehicles (plug-in hybrid or fully electric) become mass-market products.
    We have to be very careful here. This tech is a Black Widow best suited for electric production for natinal security, very heavy industry or possibly energy for hydrogen production on a massive scale.

We need to end corn subsidies.
    We need to end all farm aid and corporate welfare. And when we send food to feed the mass's of the world our troops should go with the food to make sure the people that need it get it. War Lords and oppressive governments do NOT need to feed there belly's or use our food to fund the terror.

We need to encourage greater reuse of current materials.
    We need to recycle much more than we do,,, AGREED.

We need to encourage gridless or less grid-intensive living (that is, greater self-sufficiency of homes to produce their own materials and power).
    We need to do something here. But a home is already a very complex unit. Most home owners can't service there own central heat and air units. Something as basic as cleaning a refer and condensing coil blows there pea picking minds. Much less maint. and a working understanding of GEO or steam management. Let us not even go into the issue of heating.

We need to encourage better city-planning that makes better use of the available space while decreasing the usage of resources.
    Better city planning? As in mass transit, stacking folks in cubes like sardines, better use of tax money and less entitlement for sports teams and corporate welfare for better streets?

We need to discourage urban sprawl.
    See above. The wife and I live 40 miles south of Tulsa and both work in Tulsa. We will not live in Tulsa. We would rather not have to work in Tulsa. If the Dumb-o-Crats had not ruined the town we live in and turned our once gainful jobs into a welfare tax and spend nightmare. We would not have to work in Tulsa. We are not moving to Tulsa or any other idiot sardine can city. In our small town of 13k peeps. we know who our thugs are and how to find them. My wife feels safe here and can be her self. My young adult children know were home is. And they know we don't stone wall stuff like big city folks. Nor do we live in fear.

We need to encourage energy frugality in all its forms.
    We need to learn a speed limit is just that! A ••••••• speed limit. We need to learn if we are fat sweat hogs. There is no reason to run the A/C in the winter because your fat ass is hot! We need to learn if your a slim bitch don't wear a mini skirt in Jan. and open toes shoes at work and expect to be kept warm! I know its seen as extreme by some,,, Good place for OMG!

We need to invest more money in new forms of energy production and recovery (see above about ethanol subsidies).
    Co. America needs to do this. Get the idiot government involved and you get gas-o-crap. Over educated idiots.

We need to set a goal, movable if necessary to some extent but eventual, of producing all the energy we need, so that we are no longer subject to the whims of other countries and groups.
    You bet! But as a country we have to be ready to play on the world stage. Be leader with funds from the private sectore. Show our way of thinking, making money and taking care of issues in the best light.

All I can think of right now.
    GO VIKES!

Quote Originally Posted by psyshack View Post

Prius is a full Otto head I think.
    prius uses the atkinson cycle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius

"The Prius is a combined hybrid (sometimes referred to as series-parallel), a vehicle that can be propelled by gasoline (petrol) and/or electric power. Components of the system include:

1. Regenerative braking, using motor-generators, which converts kinetic energy of motion into electrical energy that is stored in the traction battery and reduces wear on the brake pads;
    2. A 1NZ-FXE internal combustion engine (ICE) using the more efficient Atkinson cycle instead of the more common Otto cycle."
    Just walk up to a girl and say "If you were x^2 I'd wanna be (1/3)x^3 cause I'd be the area under your curves." -salutethyshorts

http://www.grandrapidsnightout.com/dining

watch this if you have the time...

this will mess your brain up

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74697167011147

if this guy is right....woooo doggy

You are correct,,, Atkins head/cycle.....

Thank You
    DUH on my part,,, sorry
    GO VIKES!

Quote Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
    watch this if you have the time...

this will mess your brain up

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74697167011147

if this guy is right....woooo doggy
    His basic numbers are correct and hes on track up until about the 5 min. mark of the presentation. It is not the governments fault. Nor the oil company's. It is mine and yours fault for allowing the energy issue. The collapse of the housing market and the so called collapse system wide that is happening in some parts of the country. Our own greed,,, self loathing tude has put us in this mess. The feds are rounding up as I type this some of the hitters that have caused the banking,,, stock market and home issues. and I feel they will in time get after the sob's that have driven up oil prices and tried there damndist to ruin the US dollar for there own personnel gains.

Only in America would a idiot. Grow up in a modest home there parents worked there ass's of for,,,, paid for and sent there kids to college. The kids the parents worked so hard for then get there degree,,, get a cube and spend a ave. of 18 months on a job. There fault or not. Never learn to truly work. Drive big SUV's they can only fill up with a Credit Card of which they have 3 to 10 of always maxed out. Thus transferring balances between the next low interest card never thinking about really paying it off. Hell the kids have to have a video game and entertainment center in the SUV. But no values. Then expect somebody to build them a house and somebody else to finance it. And there dumb enough to sign a var. interest rate loan or a balloon loan no money down,,,, cause they have no money to start with. And no real credit left cause its all on the cards, fancy cloths and meal tickets to be in the cool places. Then,,, WHAM,, the cube is gone cause,,, one there idiots,,, two they never learned there craft or trade to start with. But man they can write a great email. Or act like there important on a cell phone. They have no idea how to grub and feed themselves and if they went out and dug a ditch they would have a heart attack. So what was the gym worth or the silk tie from the GQ metro sexual shop? Not a darn thing. The reality is,, they are a load on the country and over all a bigger waste of flesh than the drug addict twitching in the gutter. That they themselves hate.

Sorry for the rant. I will stop now before I get banned because of my growing soap box....
    Last edited by psyshack; 06-28-2008 at 03:42 AM.
    GO VIKES!

Nah. Nobody gets banned for getting on a soapbox and making sense.
    What I takeway from your rant is we certainly have a "spoiled or entitled" generation out there....a whole crowd of people that are living waaay beyond anything that makes sense.
    And Im not talking about uninformed people that got hosed on financing for a primary residence. Thats a different issue.
    Im talking about the folks that spent too much time watching "Flip This House" on the tube and caught up in the game.
    I have no sympathy for the 2nd third and fourth home buyers that rolled the dice by using their primary house [equity] like a credit card.
    Tough shit. No tears from me.
    You broke all the financial rules of thumb.

I agree with a lot that psyshack said. There is no doubt that way too many people these days have an "I deserve it" attitude when it comes to finances. Somewhere along the line the idea of living within your means has been lost. It's no wonder the economy is doing badly. I'm honestly surprised things haven't crashed harder than this.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
    You are correct,,, Atkins head/cycle.....

Thank You
    DUH on my part,,, sorry
    np, but thats one of the reasons the prius has an epa of 48/45...
    Just walk up to a girl and say "If you were x^2 I'd wanna be (1/3)x^3 cause I'd be the area under your curves." -salutethyshorts

Quote Originally Posted by 'K- View Post
    I'll give you my prediction:

U.S
    2008 - $4.10 avg. per gallon (peak)
    2009 - $4.50 avg. per gallon (peak)
    2010 - $5.00+ avg. per gallon (peak)

You heard it here first. If I suddenly disappear off the planet, remember what you read!

no way.

it'salreadyover 4.50 in san luis obispo, CA, and 5.00 in santa barbra..

just FYI...

Quote Originally Posted by boardsportsrule View Post
    no way.

it'salreadyover 4.50 in san luis obispo, CA, and 5.00 in santa barbra..

just FYI...
    Yea, you're right, I've seen $4.19 in Michigan already. Revise all my predictions up by $.75 and we should be somewhere in the ballpark.

it finally went to $4.01 yesterday. i'm amazed it's not $4.50.
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

I just paid 3.99 for reg. unleaded. And its real gas. The booze gas is a dime cheaper here. People seem to forget some of the reason for $4.00+ gas is because of the local and state tax they pay on it. Producer price is pretty much the same all a cross the country.
    GO VIKES!

i thought it had to do with additives in california.
    Max Plank: "A new scientific truth does not
    triumph by convincing its opponents and making them
    see the light,
    but rather because its opponents eventually die"
    Arthur Shopenhauer: "Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized.
    First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is opposed. Third, it is regarded as self evident."
    Martin Niemöller:
    "When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;I was not a communist.
    When they locked up the social democrats,I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.When they came for the trade unionists,I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;I wasn't a Jew.When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out."

^^thats part of it. Regional and seasonal blends do add cost.