Question Is my CPU underclocked?

I'm a complete noob to this, but I understand that CPU clock speed is a product of the bus speed and the multiplier.

My problem is that I recently bought a laptop which is advertised as having a clock speed of 2.0 GHz. The processor is AMD turion 64x2

I have CPU ID installed and it tells me that my bus speed is arround 200 MHz and that the multiplier is X4. The core speed is arround 800 MHz as expected;
    (200 X 4 = 800)X2 = 1.6 GHz.

1.6 GHz!, Thats the problem. It's supposed to be 2.0 GHz right?

Should the multiplier be set to X5? That would make it 2.0 GHz.
    Is there any risk if I change it to x5?
    Is the advertised Speed wrong? Are my settings wrong?

Also, what does "HT link" mean on CPU ID? It is the same speed as the core speed.

Answers to any of my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Is my CPU underclocked?

Check in your bios and see if power saving is turned on (cool'n'quiet).
    It's probably on by default, or it's also possible that you can't turn it off.
    More than likely you are seeing the cpu speed when the workload is low, and the cpu multiplier is being automatically lowered.
    Watch cpu-z when you have it run something cpu intensive, or if you temporarily turn off cool'n'quiet you should see it speed up.

might be called powernow! on your laptop.
    Last edited by CMB; 03-10-2008 at 09:15 PM.

oooh! Youre not wrong.=)
    All I had to do was change from "power saver" to "high performance". The multiplier went up to X10 and the core speed to just under 2000 MHz.

And now I realize that I was wrong about The x2 cores coming into the equation.
    Thanks for the advice.

Now, another question.
    Is it possible to overclock seeing as the settings change automatically?
    (I didn't have to enter the BIOS to change the power setting)

And if I can overclock, What kind of speed am I likely to be able to safely achieve?

Did you change the settings in vista ?
    Well you can't go over the max multiplier as it is locked.I doubt that the bios will let you OC like a enthusiast motherboard, but if it does, then you need to read up on how to increase the base frequency/keep the memory speed down etc etc.

Overclocking is not recommended on laptops as their ability to shed heat is limited. The bios almost always will not allow you to raise the HTT clock speed so no overclocking that way. there is some possibilty that clockgen would support your clock geneator, but it is rare as well.

Even at default speed, laptops don't respond well to long periods of high load.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)