Bulk change File name (easy)

I need to bulk change a bunch of file names. For example, my pictures save like this:

DSC001.jpg
    DSC002.jpg
    DSC003.jpg

I want to change them to:
    Texas001.jpg
    Texas002.jpg
    Texas003.jpg

Is there a way I can do this in bulk? (e.g. highlighting these files, find "DSC" replace with "Texas"). How do I do this?

Thanks

Re: Bulk change File name (easy)

Great, thanks. DO you know if you can bulk change PART of the file (not the whole thing?) For example, see mine above. i just want to change the first 3 letters, which are all the same

If the filenames were the same length, this would be a trivial task. If you could settle to Tex rather than Texas, you could just go to a command prompt, navigate to the directory with the files and type
    Code:
    ren dsc*.jpg tex*.jpg
    If you'd like to experiment without borking the names of the originals until you know how it works, you could make a copy of the directory and practice on it. And, finally, of course, this would only work for the first 999 files in a directory (with the naming convention in your first post).

If you highlight all of the files you can rename them texas at the same time and they will be called texas, texas(1)...
    Brian

Have you heard of IrfanView. Google that and download a version. You can batch convert and change the file size. Simple to use.
    Eat right. Stay fit. Die anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie View Post
    If the filenames were the same length, this would be a trivial task. If you could settle to Tex rather than Texas, you could just go to a command prompt, navigate to the directory with the files and type
    Code:
    ren dsc*.jpg tex*.jpg
    If you'd like to experiment without borking the names of the originals until you know how it works, you could make a copy of the directory and practice on it. And, finally, of course, this would only work for the first 999 files in a directory (with the naming convention in your first post).
    Dear Willie,
    what if the file name is Freedom RBS 1.pdf, Freedom RBS 2.pdf and to change to 5555 RBS 1.pdf, 5555 RBS 2.pdf? I tried using ren freedom*.pdf 555*.pdf and it can't work. Appreciate your help. Thanks much.

Dear Willie,
    Apologies, plse ignore the previous.
    I have files Freedom STU 1.pdf, Freedom XYZ 2.pdf, Freedom DEF 2.pdf and etc. I wish to bulk rename the word Freedom to Free and the rest after the Freedom will remain. Is it possible? Thanks so much for your help. Rgds

Quote Originally Posted by etphonehome View Post
    Dear Willie,
    what if the file name is Freedom RBS 1.pdf, Freedom RBS 2.pdf and to change to 5555 RBS 1.pdf, 5555 RBS 2.pdf? I tried using ren freedom*.pdf 555*.pdf and it can't work. Appreciate your help. Thanks much.
    Using spaces in filenames may make the filename more readable, but it complicates renaming using wildcards, for sure. For your specific example, you might try ren freedom?RBS??.pdf 5555?RBS??.pdf. If the last number requires more than one digit, you would have to repeat the command, adding another ? to the end of each argument, etc. Assuming it works at all.

Welcome to the forums.

Dear Willie,
    I have files Freedom STU 1.pdf, Freedom XYZ 2.pdf, Freedom DEF 2.pdf and etc. I wish to bulk rename the word Freedom to Free and the rest after the Freedom will remain. Is it possible? Thanks so much for your help. Rgds

Quote Originally Posted by etphonehome View Post
    Dear Willie,
    Do it the same way as in the post above that I was obviously typing while you were posting another question.

ren freedom??????.pdf free??????.pdf should work as well and allow you to do all at once. Maybe.