Grounding issue waiting to happen?

Forgive the cellphone quality.

I just had a random thought that seemed plausible to me...is that metal case, on that metal rack, going to conduct electricity? I know a lot of components ground to the case...and specifically a hotswap bay I have I had to specifically verify the ground...

Oh, and the case is open because I'm currently working on it, it doesn't stay that way.

(Link redacted due to spam)
    Last edited by Windrunner; 03-02-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: removed image tags due to large image

Re: Grounding issue waiting to happen?

Not a problem, I'm pretty sure ground is through the wiring as may cases (like yours) don't have any metal contact to drives. An external would be built for that probability. If you want to ground the rack wire in a resistor to help slow and keep electrostatic discharges from sparking. Or get an elctrostatic mat, the proper resistance will be built in and will ground the rack just by sitting there (when the wire is grounded of course). You can also find commercial wires, as that is how it is done where chips are handled.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thank you. I think I'll just move it.

The hotswap/removeable HDD thing I have is a very old model that heralds back to the days of all metal beige monstrosities. It uses a screw to make contact with the case. I got a five pack of them for cheap awhile back, one blew out in my main system because I didn't have that screw in it.

I'm going to pretend that the case's feet keep it safely off the rack until I can set something under it. Had a moment though. Was afraid I was doing something incredibly stupid that just hadn't blown up (maybe literally) in my face yet.

Iíve had servers setting on racks like that for years and never had any problems. The likelihood of this becoming an issue for you is small but follow TheGlassMans advice for peace of mind.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Heh heh, I think I'm going to see if the coating on it is electrically conductive, they probably fixed that..

This rack is funny, if I keep my TV parallel with the bars on it it's fine, if I turn it even a bit it goes all purple and goofy. I had a bunch of old HDDs on it for years...that probably did it.

Anyway, I decided to just let it slip. I've had a metal intel switch sitting on it for years now (uses a miniature AT PSU) and it hasn't ever significantly shocked me...can't remember a time where it has, actually.

I think I might post up a warning about these drive things though...last piece of ultra-generic hardware I bought/will buy.