dual channel with 4 sticks or two & what's the Penalty?

As per my recent thread asking for help in choosing well for an OC selection I chose these main players:

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813127030

MSI RX2600XT-T2D512EZ Radeon HD 2600XT
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16814127298

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16819115018

240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820227181

Th Ram is the question, it is OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

With my recent Motherboard you loose the dual channel when you use 4 sticks, you only get the dual channel when using two sticks (So I read & that's what I recall)

I today ordered two sticks of the above and want to overclock. What I don't know is if using 2 GB of ram in dual channel is better for performance than 4 gigs of ram & not four channel.

Also.. Assuming on this board using 4 sticks will still Allow dual channel, would there be a performance hit when it comes to overclocking?

To make it time critical, there is a rebate which ends today for $35. If I'm going to get a second pair of ram, now will be the time to do it.

Any comments on this will be most appreciated!

Thanks
    CQ de KA1J .... ..

DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR
    Opteron 165 @ 2.754Ghz
    166/200 DRAM divider
    Cathar's Storm G4 CPU Waterblock
    Swiftech MCW55 VGA Waterblock
    Chevy heatercore
    Iwaki MD-20RZ Speed controlled by a 3 amp variac
    Two 120MM 12V DC fans speed controled by a homebrewed variable voltage regulator
    Fan, pump, controls & radiator are within a separate manifold located 10 feet from the computer to allow for silence
    (2) Corsair CMX512-3500C2 = 1.024Gig @ Cas 2-2-2-5 at 250.4 Frequency (250 FSB)
    MSI GeForce 6800 PCIe
    Antec 500W PS & Enermax case

http://www.doctorgary.net/homebrew.html

Re: dual channel with 4 sticks or two & what's the Penalty?

I'm assuming you're running Vista? Because if it's XP then you can't use 4GB properly anyway.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    I'm assuming you're running Vista? Because if it's XP then you can't use 4GB properly anyway.

M
    I'm not using Vista At the moment. I tried it on the desktop awhile and my laptop came bundled with it. It was slow and worse, it would not run several of my programs including my sound card (LynxOne) which the company refuses to write vista drivers for. So I removed Vista from both systems and put XP on them.

I'm figuring the unrest that these problems are causing M$ will force them to make vista better via SP1 and I have read 4 GB in Vista is a good thing. If they smarten up and make VistA the way the users want it instead of doing it the M$ way, I'll go back to Vista.

Either way, I've seen ram bottlenecks with too little ram in XP and I got a much greater functionality going from 1 GB to 2 GB. I didn't know there was a problem with using 4 GB with XP; is it a decreased performance issue or XP does not know what to do with what it sees as extra ram and does not use it?

If there is no OC problem or performance issue and XP sees more than 2 gigs then I might as well have the extra ram so I don't have to buy it later and then have to try to sell the replaced ram.

Thanks!
    CQ de KA1J .... ..

Opteron 165 @ 2.754Ghz
    166/200 DRAM divider
    Chevy heatercore
    Two 120MM 12V DC fans speed controled by a homebrewed variable voltage regulator
    Fan, pump, controls & radiator are within a separate manifold located 10 feet from the computer to allow for silence
    MSI GeForce 6800 PCIe

XP cannot natively address more than 3.2GB of RAM. I understand there is a software workaround within XP, but general opinion is that it doesn't work. In most cases any increase over 2GB in XP isn't noticeable anyway, unless you do video editing.

Note also that four sticks are much harder to O/C than two. But then again, as I've said many times, RAM speed hardly matters compared to CPU speed.

M

Interesting.

I'm now convinced that I should not use 4 sticks of ram and should use two. I should either return the ram, take my restocking hit and get two 2GB sticks Or... keep the two 1GB sticks that are on their way and use that as originally planed.

I do use programs like DVDShrink and DVD2One somewhat frequently and as a musician I use multitracking with Cool Edit Pro frequently and there's a lot of memory intensive work being done there.

Other than I tend to have too many web pages open at one time (48 open at this moment) I don't have much that requires huge ram. I do use Boinc which will be running in the background.

I am considering running a dual boot with XP64 or Vista64 for Boinc & understand 4GB ram would be utilized.

I had Vista on my computer but found several important programs & my sound card would not run in 32 bit Vista and after contacting the respective companies found out the drivers would not be made for them nor would the programs be updated to Vista. With that I rolled back to XP & am hoping Vista SP1 addresses these common problems & if so would use Vista at that time.

So if there is no Overclocking problem having 2 x 2GB sticks in XP, I might be best off getting the 2 x 2GB for future OS change. If I send them back now before I use them, I can do so with just a restocking fee. If I wait, I'll have these ram to try & sell at a greater hit.

Thoughts?

& thanks for the reply!
    CQ de KA1J .... ..

Opteron 165 @ 2.754Ghz
    166/200 DRAM divider
    Chevy heatercore
    MSI GeForce 6800 PCIe

1) Vista is the Spawn of Satan. But not as friendly.

2) All my rigs use XP except the lappy, which has two HDDs: one with Vista (which I almost never use) and one with XP/Linux dual boot.

3) My two main gaming rigs have 2GB and can play Oblivion, Crysis etc. The rest have 1GB but only crunch SETI etc.

4) I find buying something because I might use it in the future usually results in said item gathering dust until it's worth too little to sell.

That help?

M

With my recent Motherboard you loose the dual channel when you use 4 sticks, you only get the dual channel when using two sticks (So I read & that's what I recall)
    I find this hard to believe, can you post some info on this?

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan View Post
    I find this hard to believe, can you post some info on this?
    No, I can't. As I said, that's what I read & that's what I remembered. I've never used 4 sticks of ram before though I tried to and wasn't able to get two dis-similar pairs of ram working so I've always stuck with two ram sticks with the dual channel boards.

From what I've been able to find out over the last few days, it appears 4 sticks of ram do work in dual channel.

I've been overclocking ever since the 8086 chip was king so somewhere along the line I read there was an issue with 4 sticks & dual channel. I tend to remember trivia so this must have been something incorrect that was once posted & I kept it filed away as true.

I definitely have been wrong before.

CQ de KA1J .... ..

Opteron 165 @ 2.754Ghz
    166/200 DRAM divider
    Chevy heatercore
    MSI GeForce 6800 PCIe

I tried to and wasn't able to get two dis-similar pairs of ram working
    I can be done nowadays, well usually. Don't feel alone, even I have been wrong before!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I use Vista 64 with 4 sticks and overclocking is no problem. At least not on my motherboard. If I could get my CPU to overclock as much as the memory will I would be a very happy camper.

My OS is in a HDD caddy as is Vista 32 and XP. With the board overclocked I can put any of the OS's in and not have a problem. Vista 32 and XP both see 3.5G of memory and work great.
    Last edited by richardd43; 03-20-2008 at 09:34 AM.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by megalomando View Post
    If you are referring to the DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR in your sig, then you are mistaken. It will still run in Dual Channel Mode with 4 sticks, but it more than likely won't be able to do so at 1T timings and with PC3200 (400) ram set to PC2700 (333) speeds. That is clearly spelled out in the manual (and I have that board and have tested it out personally). And the memory controller on Socket 939 cpus tend to be much more sensitive to dissimilar ram paired up in DC mode that Intel controllers.

With current Intel boards you don't run into that limitation. I run 2 x 1g and 2 x 512m together on the same board in DC mode with no problem and can OC it the same as either of the two sticks by themselves.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

I once had 1536MB RAM in my X2 system.

Two sticks of 256MB geil and two sticks of 512MB geil value PC3200 and that ran dual channel - only problem was that I couldnt run 1T CPC, but with you cant run 1T CPC with DDR2 so it isnt a problem for you.

The ABIT IP35 Pro LGA supports dual channel using all four memory slots.

From the manual:
    To reach the performance of Dual Channel DDR2, the following rules must be obeyed:
    For a 2-DIMM dual-channel installation:
    Populate DIMM modules of the same type and size on slots [DIMM1]+[DIMM3], or slots
    [DIMM2]+[DIMM4].
    For a 4-DIMM dual-channel installation:
    Populate 2 DIMM modules of the same type and size on slots [DIMM1]+[DIMM3], and
    another 2 DIMM modules of the same type and size on slots [DIMM2]+[DIMM4].