Core 2 Duo E6420 vs E6850 vs E8400 Crysis Benchmark?

I plan on upgrading my e6420 to something like an e6850 or e8400... I can overclock the e6420 to over 3ghz but it's still not going to be as fast as a stock e6850 or e8400 right? I would like to know what kind of fps boost i'll get in crysis if i upgrade... I can't seem to find a benchmark for crysis that compares all the core 2 duo's etc... Thanks

Re: Core 2 Duo E6420 vs E6850 vs E8400 Crysis Benchmark?

The E6420 has the exact same core architecture as the E6850 so they are equal in speed as long as the clock speeds are the same. You'll probably have somewhat better results overclocking an E6850 (than your current E6420), but if you are over 3Ghz on your E6420 I wouldn't bother as the real world gains are really just not there. E8400 knows a few more tricks and is a little bit faster clock-per-clock, but the difference isn't huge and not always there.
    I wouldn't bother with the upgrade yet really and I doubt very much you'd get any boost in Crysis. E8400 core is probably the processor I'd recommend if you were starting from scratch, but since you are not, do not bother.
    If you simply itch to upgrade I'd look into Intel's new quad core offerings (Q9x50-line). Hopefully multiple cores will give you an advantage in the future, but I'd pass on that opportunity with your current setup until the gains become real for software that you use.

If you want better performance in Crysis, I think you would be better off going SLI with a second 8800GT, than with a CPU upgrade.

If you must upgrade your CPU for whatever reason, take a look at this chart for Quake 4:
    http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_20...=882&chart=424

Basically the only real jump in performance you would see is going to a Quad core Yorkfield (NOT Kentsfield!). But that would be expensive, and the results would not be as good as a graphics card upgrade.

By the way, Crysis brings ANY system to its knees.

Of all the possible options, you might wanna wait for the new cards by ATI and nVidia to see if they will run Crysis any better, then make a decision to either get the 9800GTX, or SLI your current card...

Ok well that clears it up... I just was checking out benchmarks for e6850 vs e6420 on tomshardware and it seems its about 15fps faster... which would be a noticable difference. If i overclock the e6420 to 3.6GHZ will it be faster in fps than a stock e6850 or e8400? I benchmarked my computer on 3dmark06 and i got 13,686... with the cpu at 3.4ghz and the graphic overclocked well beyond an 8800 ultra...

Quote Originally Posted by chris89 View Post
    Ok well that clears it up... I just was checking out benchmarks for e6850 vs e6420 on tomshardware and it seems its about 15fps faster... which would be a noticable difference.
    When and in what?

E6850 and E6420 are really the exact same CPUs and the only difference is clock speed. That means that if you are running your E6420 at 3Ghz, it will perform just as well as a stock E6850 (and a 3.6Ghz E6420 will be even faster).

I would get a quad core. I will more than likely never buy a dual core again. My Q6600 has ruined me.

And Crysis has altered my state of being. And Im not even a gamer. I like to look at the pretty colors. WOW look at that,,, WOW WTF is that,,, and so on.

My q6600 @ 3.6 and the new 8800gt oc are magic. The BFG is set right now @ 725/1030/1819. With winxp everything on high fps fly by low 50's. In game high 40's. With the want to be DX10 .cfg fly by 30 fps, game play 30 fps.

It would be nice to have more FPS. But seeing I can't frag worth a flip. This is enough. Im sure with more tuning things will get better.

Get a Quad!
    GO VIKES!

Let me put it in the simplest temrs possible if you expect something to make crysis perform well at max, stop expecting, it wont happen right now. You can overclock your CPU to 4.0GHz, and have 4 8800 Ultra's and you still wont be getting good frames at max.

lol hahaha yeah Crysis is just ahead of it's time lol... I just can't wait until some of the mods come out, Including Lost World Returns... Etc Dinosaurs and Hopefully it'll be Realilisticly Scary awesome... lol Yeah i bought an 8800gt oc and it was sweet.. Ran Super cool and Overcloked Beyond the Ultra with ease, But i might just go with the GTS oc because of the 128 Stream Porcessors rather than 112 or whatever.. should give 5-8 more fps.. hehe ... I just need to get a better cpu cooler so i can overclock that high and stay cooler than say 65* Celcius or Higher... I'm looking to getting a thermalright ultra 120 Extreme... Thanks guys..

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by chris89 View Post
    lol hahaha yeah Crysis is just ahead of it's time
    Ive been saying that for ages.

This has a negative effect on the game.Its gotten to a point where only the sp aspect of the game is fun.The mp sure had a lot of potential,but ask any hardcore online fps gamer,anything below 50-60 fps constant is not playable in an online enviroment.
    And so far there isnt a rig on the planet that can do that in Crysis with max detail.
    This therefore has killed the games popularity and sales.
    Is it the most graphicly advanced game engine to date? YES INDEED IT IS.
    But with games like BF3 on the horizon im afraid Crysis is going to fade away without much of a fight.Because BF3 looks like it should match the Crysis engine according to rumors.
    If this is true and it runs better then Crysis and we also have next gen cards and quads at affordable prices then Im afraid BF3 will be the next BIG thing in online fps gaming,mark my words im saying this almost a year ahead.Its due in Dec this year. I sure am anxious for it

that's awesome, And ur exactly Right! Are there any screenshots or anything of that sort for any of these new games coming out? Oh and also Crysis didn't fully take the whole dx10 potental... since it looks exactly the same in dx9 at very high as it does in vista on dx10... and it runs a hell of a lot smoother in dx9... So i'm hoping these new games coming out will take advantage of what dx10 is Supposed to look like.. hehe.. I've seen some videos online, like the jungle fight etc... And i never saw anything like that in the whole game... How would i go about getting that jungle fight map? And again is there anything out there Related to Comparing all of the core 2 duos and amd 64s with Crysis? so i can see how the fps compares to all the different cpus.. to give me an idea of how it'll run on a different processor, Including Quad Cores.