Question looking for password box for each identity mozilla-thunderbird

hi, I'm not sure If I'm missing an extension or not.
    I just switched from outlook express to Thunderbird. The are two issues I'm having;

1. When you open Thunderbird it doesn't prompt you for the password until you are "already in" the program, and at that point people can read your email headers. Outlook express on the other hand would not let you into the in box(s) until you entered the password for what ever idetiy you were about to view. is there a work around or setting for this?

2. The other question I had was: the password that Thunderbird uses is a global mail server password. However with Out Look express you could set individual passwords on each identity, keeping the server passwords separate from the identity passwords.

I can't seem to figure out how to do this? Am I missing some kind of add-on?
    btw, I have Comcast, and on their mail server I have three individual accounts set up with different user names and passwords.

Advanced Thanks

Extensions installed:
    1. Profile Password 0.7.4 Doses nothing
    2. Talkback 2.0.0.9

Thanks
    Last edited by Starstreams; 03-16-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Re: looking for password box for each identity mozilla-thunderbird

Thunderbird is a true multiuser application and stores mail under your local user profile. No one should be able to access your mail without first logging on as you (apart from an administrator of course). The password you are entering is for access to your POP3/IMAP server, not to protect mail that you've already retrieved. The same is true of any documents stored under your local profile (eg, My Documents) - they can access those too without entering a password.

The solution is to not leave your session unattended. Either lock the screen or log out.

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Question Re: looking for password box for each identity mozilla-thunderbird

I edited my question above.

I understand what you're, and I do lock my system, but here is a better example of what Iím after I guess; btw, (Iím referring to people in your home that are not knowledgeable enough to look in your profiles folder).
    Anyway, say your not home, and someone asks if they could use your computer to send an email. Itís nice having passwords on the individual identities.
    You have two email accounts, one that you locked, and one that you keep open so that if someone asks to use it, you could let them use the one that is not locked. (This way you don't have to give them you passwords just to send an email).

But with Thunderbird, youíre only given an option for the mail server password, so where is the "local privacy"?

I mean, yes, I can create another user account on my computer, and have them log onto that, but that doubles the registry, and itís over kill for something that could just be implemented into your mail client. But that still doesnít solve the issue. If Thunderbird is multi client application, (which I know it is), why is it not letting you create passwords for separate identities stored in the same windows session?
    Last edited by Starstreams; 03-16-2008 at 04:58 PM.

Thunderbird simply doesn't have that feature. The identities feature in Thuderbird is designed for YOU to manage multiple email addresses that all belong to YOU, not other users.

You need to understand a little why Outlook Express has that feature to begin with. OE began life on Win9x which is not a multiuser OS so it implemented identities to overcome a short fall in the OS. Thunderbird is a far more recent application that only supports true multiuser OSes (WinXP, Linux etc) so there was simply no need for such a feature.

Thanks for that info, I honestly didn't know that Ned Slider, makes sense though.

But never the less, It was a nice feature.
    I'm not knocking the program btw, I just had to ask because I've gotten so use to using OE, and setting it up for other people, It was hard not to notice something like that missing.

TB is better in a million ways, but it would still be a nice feature added.
    Btw, there was an extension I saw last night that did create a smiler dialog box, but the extension was not compatible with my newer Thunderbird.
    Last edited by Starstreams; 03-16-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Yeah - there may well be an extension that adds what you're looking for... there seems to be one for pretty much everything else