Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The Freeware Thread v2.0 (Updated: 3/16/2008)

I'd like to offer software I found with a Google search for "DVD authoring free" and found DVD Flick.

Cnet:

Publisher's description of DVD Flick

From Dennis Meuwissen:
    DVD Flick aims to be a simple but at the same time powerful DVD Authoring tool. It can take a number of video files stored on your computer and turn them into a DVD that will play back on your DVD player, Media Center or Home Cinema Set. You can add additional custom audio tracks, subtitles as well as a menu for easier navigation. The program supports over 45 file formats, over 60 video codecs and over 40 audio codecs. It's main target audience is people who know at least the basics about DVDs and video and audio files. This version is the first release on CNET Download.com.

And at Hack Attack:

by Adam Pash
    Putting any old video file - like the DivX/Xvid-encoded videos you've downloaded with BitTorrent - onto a DVD to play on your TV can be a daunting task. There's plenty of software that tackles this sort of thing for a price, but as a lover of open source software, free's always my first choice. Luckily for all of us, authoring playable DVDs from just about any video file has gotten a lot easier in the open source community. This week I'm going to show you how to burn those downloaded TV shows to a DVD you can play in your living room using the free (as in speech), open source application,DVD Flick.

NOTE: DVD Flick's almost embarrassingly simple to use, but since it's a subject that can be confusing for people who haven't authored many DVD's, and it's a question we've been asked about several times before here at Lifehacker, we thought DVD Flick deserved a quick guide.

In a few simple steps, here's how to burn almost any video file on your computer to a playable DVD.

DVD FLICK
    Last edited by Drawde5; 03-18-2009 at 09:34 PM.
    Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Eric Idle

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us -- Cats look down on us - Only pigs treat us as equals." Sir Winston Churchill

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896653.aspx

process explorer.
    pretty neat program, you can set which programs use which cores,or both.
    not sure if it works with quad cores, no sample sent to me tot est (psstt RYAN!)
    hehehe

FREE PDF file editor. You can edit EXISTING .pdf files, providing they don't have security restrictions. Noice! You can also add tags, stickies, etc.

Those wishing to view PDF files on their Windows PC's now have a choice when it comes to Viewing PDF files - the PDF-XChange Viewer is smaller, faster and more feature rich than the Adobe Reader which has until now been the Reader of choice for PDF files - we think that's about to change !

Free for Private and Commercial use, provided not bundled with other software or for financial gain)- also available - PRO Version - Need extra features and Functions ?
    PDF-XCHANGE VIEWER

In addition to all the standard features here are some of the features available in the PDF-XChange FREE Viewer
    • Add Comments and Annotations to any PDF file (subject to security settings) - unlike the Adobe Viewer which requires the PDF creation tool to be 'certified' by Adobe !
    • Add & apply Custom Stamps from any Image or PDF File and even your Windows Clip board !
    • Mark-up pages with text and objects
    • Type directly on any PDF page, not just Adobe enabled forms documents - in Typewriter mode.
    • Export PDF pages or entire files to any one of the supported Image formats including BMP, JPEG, TIFF, PNG and many more ...
    • Extract text from a PDF page/File
    • Make your navigation of large or complex PDF files both simple and enjoyable with the extended functionality of our 'Loupe' and the 'Pan' Window tools
    • Fill and Save Adobe Forms to disk, email or 'post' !
    • Full Javascript Engine included
    • Updated JPEG2000 Compression support - improving speed.
    • Plug-Ins for both MS IE or Firefox Browser's included
    • Integrate seamlessly with your favourite translation software to translate text on the 'fly' - including : ABBYY Lingvo 12, Translate It!, Lingoes.
    • Includes comprehensive Help file and PDF Manual - no extra downloads required to add features etc.
    • Portable version also available - can be run from any suitable device such as a Memory stick/CD/DVD etc - simply unzip and use - no installation required - just 4MB download !
    Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Eric Idle

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us -- Cats look down on us - Only pigs treat us as equals." Sir Winston Churchill

Nice list, I am looking for a good driver updater tool. ANy you would recommend?

The file updater at filehippo.com is free and keeps programs up to date. I also includes the driver packages for my Nvidia graphic card.

I swear by avira antivirus, excellent program.

My freeware contribution to the list:

Avast Antivirus

BCArchive (Compression+encryption) This is freeware too, page is confusing.

DiskCryptor (Disk encryption)

AxCrypt (File encryption)

FreeBSD (Free operating system)
    Last edited by malcarada; 08-26-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Almost a year since last post.
    A couple of my latest favorites...

Codecs for XP, Vista and 7... shark007
    Free camera security software (Open Source) ispyconnect
    Bulk verify and unrar with parnrar
    Last edited by -=SparX=-; 09-22-2011 at 02:12 AM.

Do people still look in here ?

Just found this gem called Virtual Router
    Virtual Router turns any Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 Computer into a Wifi Hot Spot using Windows 7's Wireless Hosted Network (Virtual Wifi) technology.
    Still in beta but it works a treat.

http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

"One of the main reasons why you would want to collect installed drivers is if you don’t have the Driver CD that came with the computer or they are unavailable online. This comes in quite handy if you purchase a computer and want to backup the initial set of drivers. It can be quite difficulty for example to find drivers for hardware installed in a notebook if the operating system has to be setup again. Luckily Double Driver can now lend you a hand with that and save you a lot of time.

Double Driver is a very simple and useful tool which not only allows you to view all the drivers installed on your system but also allows you to backup, restore, save and print all chosen drivers.

Double Driver analyzes your system and lists the most important driver details such as version, date, provider, etc. All drivers that are found can easily be backed up the application and easily restored at a later point in one go. "