Sapphire X1950XT Overclocking on Air!

Ok so i noticed that my sapphire x1950xt was running really frickin hot... Voltage regulator was at 105* C and the gpu was at 85* C ... so i decided to try something out... so i took the heatsink apart and i cleaned and washed the fins clean of dust and i used alcohol to wipe off the factory thermal paste on the heatsink and the chip... then i applied a small dot of thermal paste to the core chip from www.fanner.com and then i put it all back together... then i set a 120mm fan on top of the card, covering the bottom of the gpu, memory chips, and backside of voltage regulator. Then i set another 120mm fan on the other side, right on top of the Voltage regulator.... These are my temps under full load... now my gpu is at 65*C, Voltage regulator at 55*C, and Memory chips at 45*C. I have now be able to overclock it stabily to 705MHZ core and 1044MHZ memory... anything higher than 1044mhz it artifacts... and setting the core any higher causes the gpu recovery... i have set the voltages up higher... Factory voltages were 1.45V VGPU, 2.184V MVDDC, 2.184V MVDDQ, and 1.486V VDDCI. I set them to 1.5V VGPU, 2.201V MVDDC, 2.201V MVDDQ, and 1.5V VDDCI. Tell me what you guy's think!
    Last edited by chris89; 03-18-2008 at 02:53 AM.

Re: Sapphire X1950XT Overclocking on Air!

Good OC, and smart move on lowering the temps.

Cooling performance has lowered and with the overclock im getting 76* C for the Core, and 65* C on the voltage regulator... Still a little hot for the core i'de say... so i plan on getting aftermarket coolers for the cpu and gpu... Now i'm just messing with memory timings.. and can't get it to where i had it running best in crysis... too Fast of timings actually reduces performance? thats what i noticed... im running 1:1 ratio and my factory timings are 5-5-5-12.... and i messed with them.. 3-3-3-8 ... and 4-4-4-8... Just need to do some testing to see what runs the best... Im just mad that i was getting 35fps in crysis... now im getting 17-25fps... And i didn't change anything except memory timings and CPU features.. like C1E support, and Disable Bit.. Ughhhhhh!!! need help! hehe

From what I have heard, the ATI 1900 series of cards just run hot.

I don't see how messing with C1E support would affect Crysis performance. What I have seen that is weird is that changing your visual settings in Crysis mid game will drop your FPS by a good amount. But, when I restart the game with the graphics setting pre set, the game runs fine. Weird.

Also, if you are in the woods as opposed to on the beach, the fps will differ dramatically, at least in my experience (less in the woods and more fps in open spaces or places with less foliage). Maybe you just moved to a more graphically intense part of the game.

What's the maximum overclock for the x1950 series? I'm running at 1044mhz memory and 702mhz core... I had to lower memory to 1035 since it started to artifact slightly and cause instability... but still runs pretty cool!

I'm not sure what the max speeds you can overclock your card too. ATI tool is a good program to use to find the max Overclock your card can do. Even with 2 "identical" cards you could wind up with different max overclocks. YMMV (your mileage may vary).