Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Newbie to OC'ing needs help, please. Gigabyte MB

Hi,
    First I want to thank Graysky for his instructional sheet. I wouldn't be as far as I am without it.

I can't get my rig past 3.0GHz without it at some point in a reboot freezing in the BIOS. I think I can go more, just not really sure why some settings in the BIOS don't seem to do what I thought they should.

The setup:
    Gigabyte P35-DS4, BIOS F12
    Q6600 Quad Core G0 SLACR
    4 GB 2x2 G.Skill PC8500 5-5-5-15
    Arctic Pro 7 cooler
    Antec P182 case with 3 120MM standard fans and 4th 120mm fan in mid drive bay pointing at Vidcard.
    Palit GT9600 Sonic (OC'd from factory not touching this yet)

The BIOS in the MB seems close enough to the ASUS to get most of my settings matched up, I figured out which did what.
    One thing that concerns me is power. No matter what I set the Voltage in the CPU too CoreTemp always reports 1.2500v for the VID. Shouldn't that move with my setting? I think if it doesn't go up with my speed setting I'm setting up for a freeze??
    At 3.0GHz I'm idling at about 38-42C. Prime95 will bring this up to mid upper 50s.
    I don't know what specifics are needed to help me, if you know GByte boards ask and I'll provide what I can. This is my first OC project, I'm just happy right now it's running, it's been 10 years since I built my own rig (damn Dells were too cheap!)
    Thanks for any help out there, love the board here!

Joe
    Joe in Los Angeles

Re: Newbie to OC'ing needs help, please. Gigabyte MB

VID is a fixed value, so it won't change - what you are thinking of is Vcore (aka CPU voltage) which is something else. Don't worry about it's value, only the temperature changes it produces.

For 3GHz I'd expect you to need a Vcore of about 1.38 - 1.40, maybe a little less if you are very lucky. If you are below 1.40, crank it up a bit and see what happens. If that does nothing then check the RAM voltages and speed/timings - at this stage of the game you should be running the RAM a little below spec and about 2.15V.

M

Thanks, I'll look into those settings. I did misunderstand VID.
    CPU-Z says my Core Voltage is 1.200V
    Last edited by joe221; 03-25-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    Joe in Los Angeles

I raised my BIOS CPU Voltage setting to 1.40 and for the ducks of it CPU to 3.33GHz. My temps rose to about 45-50C at idle to low use. I tried 3.0GHz too and the temps were about the same.
    Joe in Los Angeles

Is that 3.33 stable, or is it locking up like before?

But yes, boosting voltage always brings higher temps. What you do next if 3.33 is stable is either go higher (the chip should make at least 3.4 without silly voltages) or start slowly reducing Vcore and testing to find out what is the lowest value which remains fully stable.

M

Nope it wasn't I reset to "factory" again to get a handle on stability and the numbers it gets (now that I understand better what I'm looking at) at normal.
    At 2.4 with most settings on Auto or Normal, I did set the BIOS to "Extreme" as opposed to Standard or Turbo, but played with nothing else. The RAM is finding 1066/5-5-5-15 which is the factory spec.
    Now CPU-Z reports Core Voltage os 1.200V
    I notice Core Speed Fluxes between 2400 and 1600 (I assume thats an energy savings setting that is now on)
    Core Temp at Idle and what I'm doing now shows 35-40C for the 4 cores.
    I'm running the fans at their lowest speed.

The symptom when I have failure is at POST I hear a buzz from the MB Speaker and it reboots, then tries to POST and gets no further than trying to show the RAM count but doesn't complete. I turn off the power at the PSU and wait. Then It will come up and It has reset the CPU to 2.4 but it leaves the other settings. I did a Safe settings to clear everything and put back what I wanted but left the timings to Auto etc. This is where I am now. I have tested this setting with Prime95 overnight, I even tested 3.3 with P95 and had success, it's when I reboot that trouble brews.
    Thanks for keeping an eye on me.
    Joe
    Joe in Los Angeles

It sounds like when you reboot the board is being reset to factory settings, and something in your rig can't handle that - probably the RAM. Some motherboards (I know Asus do) reset to default if they can't POST at the designated settings.

I'm still worried by the CPU voltage, which is way too low: even default is about 1.30 IIRC. Manually set the voltage to that (but change nothing else) and reboot, but go into BIOS, not Windows. Is the voltage still as you set it? Or is it back to 1.20V?

Yes, you need to disable SpeedStep, and C1E interrupt as well if that's an option. At the very least it will make stability testing harder.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    It sounds like when you reboot the board is being reset to factory settings, and something in your rig can't handle that - probably the RAM. Some motherboards (I know Asus do) reset to default if they can't POST at the designated settings.

I'm still worried by the CPU voltage, which is way too low: even default is about 1.30 IIRC. Manually set the voltage to that (but change nothing else) and reboot, but go into BIOS, not Windows. Is the voltage still as you set it? Or is it back to 1.20V?

Yes, you need to disable SpeedStep, and C1E interrupt as well if that's an option. At the very least it will make stability testing harder.

M
    I will try that. This board GA-P35-DS4 is their rev 2.1 which added all sorts of energy savings controls. Could that be why its running so cool on default??

Update:
    I made the adjustments.
    I can't find SpeedStep and am not sure what the Gigabyte equivalent is. Possibly CIA2 and that is already disabled if it is (any Giga-Heads here??) Interestingly, at those factory settings, when I rebooted the BIOS froze after it buzzed and reset and rebooted! I'm getting concerned!
    Nevertheless, I changed the Voltage and it held at 1.30. The RAM on the other hand reset to 5-7-7-20.
    Now CPU-Z reports a Core Voltage of 1.280v
    CoreTemp reports the 4 cores at between 44 and 51c at idle or writing this. Much warmer than before.

BTW I believe the G0 is safe to about 70c, is there an "optimal" temp is should be running at? idle/load?

Joe
    Last edited by joe221; 03-26-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: update
    Joe in Los Angeles

Speedstep may be referred to as EIST in the BIOS.

I still think the problem here is your RAM. If you can get into BIOS, set the RAM to 1066MHz, 6-6-6-16-30 and everything else on auto, and set the voltage to 2.15V. That is not ideal, but should be stable. Just make sure the speed is correct. If it still doesn't play, try the same settings but a bit slower - you might need to try various settings (I don't know the GB BIOS) to aim for a speed around 800-900MHz.

Yes, the higher Vcore will result in higher temps - but they are fine. My main Q6600 rig runs at 60oC for the hottest cores. "Optimium" is about -10oC, so don't worry about that.

M

Whoopsie! My guess is 2.15 DIDN'T mean CPU voltage, errrr, right?

OK battery removed all is better.

OK then I'm back to the above settings except. 30, I don't see a number that refers too. There are another set of numbers below 6-6-6-16 but I dare not just start changing those (like CPU voltage). Also 2.15 how do I change that, I don't see something that equals something close.
    I also figured out one of the "poppers". I changed the graphic card from Auto to 100, that caused a pop that reset it to Auto. Nothing else changed??

Could I be fighting a faulty part?? I didn't like that, even at "factory" settings I had a hang on reboot. The RAM passed a memtest86 test and I've run Prime95 overnight. Still, something could be amiss.
    Joe in Los Angeles

Nope, because both times I mentioned voltages over 2V it was clear I was talking about the RAM.

The point I'm trying to make is that some fast RAM, like your PC8500, won't POST at default settings. According to JEDEC specs it should, but in practice it doesn't. That why I'm suggesting that you have troubles at default settings.

It's odd that the PCI-E speed gets upset at 100, because that's what it's supposed to be. Although some cards are actually more stable at 110MHz.

Right, the settings being referred to when people say 5-5-5-15-30 are as follows:

tCL = 5
    tRCD =5 (RAS to CAS delay)
    tRP = 5 (RAS to Precharge)
    tRAS = 15 (Precharge delay)
    tRFC = 30 (Refresh Cycle Time)

Note that tRAS should never be less than the first three added together. So if you should set tRAS to 18 if you have 6-6-6. Get hold of a program called MemSet: you can use it to change settings (although I advise against it) but it shows up almost all the settings, including the actual speeds of all the bits marked as "Auto".

M

If you say not advised I'm not fooling around (memset). At this point I'd first like to walk before running.
    Now you said above not to set the RAM to below the sum of the first three so 6-6-6 should be 18? You said triple above 16, is that en error?? I also sent a not to G.Skill for any advice. They have a sheet with the P38-DS4 which is a first cousin to my P35-DS4. Hopefully they also have suggestions.
    Joe in Los Angeles

Just wanted to check that you've upped everything +0.1 (pcie, northbridge, etc) and set SPD to 2?

My buddy has your config except for the DS3L and could only go up to 3.2GHz. The cooler was his limiting factor.
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

Quote Originally Posted by joe221 View Post
    Now you said above not to set the RAM to below the sum of the first three so 6-6-6 should be 18? You said triple above 16, is that en error??
    I no understand? Set (at this stage) the RAM to 6-6-6-18-30, speed no higher than 1066 (around 900 would be better), and voltage of 2.15V.

M