Main differences are:
    Sys Mult. (SPD) 4.0+
    5-5-5-15
    DDR2 Over Volt. control= +0.2V
    Leave CPU V Normal

I am trying that,
    Core V is 1.232V
    Core Temps are 40-45c at idle, 50-55 in Prime95

It helped that they had a PDF of the BIOS screen, while mine is different, 9x not 8x Clock ratio, it's close enough, I was able to follow along. I'll see how it reacts and continue from this point.

I think these settings are close to what you were telling me to do. They could point me to the item I needed to change. Like I said, I'm still learning, and appreciate all the help!!!

I had never touched the DDR2 overvoltage control before, just the CPU voltage. Is this the combination of voltages that need to be fudged when overclocking to make it stable?
    Joe in Los Angeles

Re: Newbie to OC'ing needs help, please. Gigabyte MB

Quote Originally Posted by chrispycrunch View Post
    Just wanted to check that you've upped everything +0.1 (pcie, northbridge, etc) and set SPD to 2?

My buddy has your config except for the DS3L and could only go up to 3.2GHz. The cooler was his limiting factor.
    I don't see Northbridge as an over voltage setting, is it labeled something else??
    I see PCI-E and haven't touched it yet.
    So far as you can see, I've got DDr2 overvolted by .2 and SPD by 4.0+ by rec from G.Skill

Update:
    I Read The Fine Manual and found that the setting (G)MCH Overvoltage is NorthBridge. Reading helps, it's be nice if it was in the BIOS too (the stuff on the right)
    Last edited by joe221; 03-26-2008 at 08:04 PM.
    Joe in Los Angeles

Man o Man

You need to find the default voltage for your cpu. It will be on the cpu box or look up the cpu number on intels site. Then set that in your bios and keep it for the time being.

Then find the default voltage for your ram and its timings. Set them in bios and keep them for the time being.

Now get memtest. Drop the multi on the cpu so you don't OC it. Then test out the ram. Raise the speed until it fails. Take your time. Then bump voltage. Then back off once you have found your max ram speed. And try and tighten up the timings. If they tighten up then you figure out if you want to be tight on the timings and loose some over all speed on the ram or tighten the timings and take what it gives you.

Then take off into the cpu with your new found ram speeds and timings. Bring your multi back up for the cpu to default or one under default. Then start bringing the ram into the game. As you start hitting the wall you can start playing with cpu, nb voltage and find your way thru.

But beware. Not all GO's go to the stars. Not all ram is equal. Nor are the motherboards or power supplys.

Good Luck
    GO VIKES!

i'll do you a favor and find the specs for you - google is your friend:
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/Det...px?sSpec=SL9UM
    Volt range is: 0.85V – 1.5V

Next, as the above user said, find out what memory you have and then find out how much volts it can take. If your board is like the DS3R, then the DEFAULT memory voltage is 1.8V. Then you have to add whatever additional volts you need (mine is 2.1 so i add 0.3 to my memory overvoltage).

Yes, add +0.1 to MCH, FSB, and everything else (pcie). SET the PCIE frequency to 100 so that you're not going to overclock that frequency.
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

Hi chrispycrunch,

Yes believe me I've been Googling. I actually found someone on Overclockers Forum that has my setup, almost. Same mobo/rev, chip, brand of RAM, his is slower, even same brand of PSU, mine is a little less power. I may have discovered a bugaboo about my mobo, what they're not perfect!?! It may relate to having USB devices plugged in while setting the BIOS. This rings true as I found a bug while building my system. My restore drive is an external Buffalo 500 USB/1394. After doing a big restore I rebooted and it hung. Turns out it didn't like the energy saving switch on it! Gig may be having issues with USB!!! So I am learning, like I said earlier. I've been a PC tech for ages but haven't gotten into OC'ing till now. So, it's day one, kindergarten all over again. I'm also very stubborn, I'll get this working or want to know why. I put together this rig based on OC'ing potential. It's gonna go faster!
    Joe in Los Angeles

Thanks to psyshack too.

I think, not trying to jinx it, I have a stable 3.0GHz OC. I've rebooted a number of times and the BIOS held. I'm idling at 45c and Prime95 at 60c. I'm going to try some overnight testing and see if it holds and reboots cleanly. Then we'll try for some more.
    Joe in Los Angeles

Oh ya, that! I have read on googling that the board acts funny when it has a USB external drive of some sort hooked in. You have to disable legacy USB support and remove it from boot...but it is buried somewhere in the menu.

FYI you might be able to go as far as 3.2 but after that it will start to crash. The cooler is a good silent one but there are better ones out there for even higher oc's.
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

| ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

Quote Originally Posted by chrispycrunch View Post
    Oh ya, that! I have read on googling that the board acts funny when it has a USB external drive of some sort hooked in. You have to disable legacy USB support and remove it from boot...but it is buried somewhere in the menu.

FYI you might be able to go as far as 3.2 but after that it will start to crash. The cooler is a good silent one but there are better ones out there for even higher oc's.
    So far so good Prime95 ran over night (10 hours) the hottest it got was 66c which is a little warm . It rebooted and came up just fine. Now if Vista was just faster, it'd be nice. It's always doing something. But hey I never look back. Not using XP any more. MS will "eventually" get it right. I'll test out 3.0 before moving to 3.2
    I wanted QUIET, it's in my bedroom. My last Dell was always like a jet on takeoff. Ouch! This one is quite quiet! It runs mid 40's on low/normal use. I think it can live with that. I don't run Prime95 as a normal job!

Which programs numbers can tell you what's important? I'll report those!
    Thanks to all for helping me!! Great board here! I'll try to contribute as I learn!!
    Joe in Los Angeles

Oh yeah, the "My System" drop down. Is that a check box in the cp or is it restricted by the number of posts? I filled out the info in the cp and it hasn't appeared yet.

Opps, found it! Missed it when I originally set it up.
    Last edited by joe221; 03-27-2008 at 11:26 AM.
    Joe in Los Angeles

It's all there - when i click your "my system" it shows your config.
    You're probably thinking of the user signature

As for what to post, voltages for your cpu, memory.
    Screen captures for cpu-z, temperatures idle from coretemp v0.97.
    Intel E6750 C2D

Let's see if this work. Here's a link to my screen save with everything running...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Joe in Los Angeles

Looks OK - but can you post the CPU-Z page for memory? Cheers

M

Your wish...

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks!!
    Joe in Los Angeles

I have been following this thread for a couple of days becuase I just got the exact same CPU, Mboard and Heatsink/fan. I noticed in you pics that your fan speed is 1500rpm. Make sure you have cpu smartfan disabled in your bios, so that it runs full speed(2600rpm). You will find your temps will be much better.

As for my system, I currently have it running 8*400@ 1.2875 vcore. Priming along fine, temps are kind of high but I want to see what it will do. This SLACR stepping is definately kicking some ass. I messed up my settings by mistake and booted @9*400 1.2875 vcore and it still posted. 3600Mhz at that vcore, Im very impressed. This is my first night with this puppy and will be stressing it all night. Will post back with results.

btw, as you can tell by my name, this is my first Intel build ever. I have been amd since my first k5 150. I have also been a member here since it was K7M.com, just havent posted in a very very long time.

Edit: Omg, just seen my sig for the first time in a couple of years. That was my previous rig before this, so its a major upgrade.
    Last edited by Athlonman; 03-27-2008 at 07:23 PM.

Welcome back - it's good to see someone who's actually been here longer than me.

M