Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Newbie to OC'ing needs help, please. Gigabyte MB

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Ignore the SPD figures: JEDEC specs say RAM must POST at certain lower speeds - which is what those first two columns are about. The third column is what the manufacturer thinks it will run at. CPU-Z reports real RAM speed, not the DDR rate, so 533 = 1066MHz. Thus your RAM is running way below spec at 367 = 734 at DDR rate.

In theory therefore, you need to note those EPP specs and then set them in BIOS (or via MemSet). Leave all the other settings at auto. But remember that faster = more voltage. As I said early on, to run at 1066 you will almost certainly need about 2.10V. Note that running DDR2 RAM at too high a voltage can increase instability quite markedly.

But don't worry too much: RAM speed has almost zero effect on overall performance apart from a couple of memory-dependant benchmarks.

M
    Maybe I'll just concentrate on lowering temps and keeping stability. For now anyway.

Also, what would be the best or at least most reasonable test/benchmarker to run to see what progress I'm making. There are so many that it gets confusing. I know it's only your opinion, but that's good for me.
    Last edited by joe221; 03-28-2008 at 09:15 PM.
    Joe in Los Angeles

I am slowly working my way through this chip. I am now undervolting at 3ghz(9*333). Stock voltage is 1.262, and I am stable a 1.250. Im gonna keep dropping until I find the sweet voltage for this overclock before I move on.

Quote Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

Also, what would be the best or at least most reasonable test/benchmarker to run to see what progress I'm making.

For mainly CPU-based I'd go with SuperPI (there's a boasting thread here somewhere) and ScienceMark v2. Things like 3DMark are lot more GPU-based.

M

Good luck Athlonman!
    I'll find those testers. Thanks Meridian!

I'm getting close but still running warm, but at least not hot.
    I look forward to trying Athlonmans specs.
    Joe in Los Angeles

9*333 prime stable @ 1.212v, CPU-Z reads 1.136. Not bad, .05v below the vid of 1.262. Now its time for 8*400!

Looking good Athlonman. Here's when I am now. I had an overnight failure on Prime95 and upped my voltage a bit. I ran it for 3 hours fine. I'll do an overnight tonight. I've got my CPU fan on auto and case fans on low. The highest it got was around 60oC in Prime95. It's idling mid 40s.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Joe in Los Angeles

I did another 3 hour test and one thread in Prime95 failed. So not there yet.
    Joe in Los Angeles

9*367@1.35v, 8 hours prime stable which is good enough for me. 65C is about the limit Im willing to go though. I was in such a hurry to put this thing together that I mounted the hsf vertical in the case instead of horizontal with the case air flow. Also concerned about the vdroop, I may try the pencil mod if I get the balls to do it.

This setup has gone overnight on Prime, 8 hours+. I think I'm happy!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Joe in Los Angeles

Athlonman,
    We're running at the same speed but your vcore is a bit higher and you said the fan is pointing the wrong way, would that account for the big heat difference??

I'm now running it at 1.25625 and got the 8hr Prime.

I think I'm figuring this out. My vDroop is 0.018 is that bad or OK??
    Last edited by joe221; 03-31-2008 at 11:45 AM.
    Joe in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonman View Post
    Also concerned about the vdroop, I may try the pencil mod if I get the balls to do it.
    I'm older, we call it the Venus Paradise Mod.

Did some Googling, OMG what a cheap mod!
    Joe in Los Angeles

Well, I changed the hsf to the proper alignment and no change in temps. If anything it might be slightly worse. Oh well, thats what I get for getting a cheap one and not a ultra120 or tuniq. Still cant complain though, this chip is a champ.

Which HSF did you get?

Also I watch that video podcast DL.TV. The last episode was the begining of a 3 part instructional on overclocking! One of the hosts, after the segment, talked about the Pencil Mod that he did back in the day!!!
    Joe in Los Angeles

I have the same as you, Artic Freezer 7 pro. Not bad for the price, but cant handle the temps it will take to handle this chips potential. Like I said, I am happy with my results so far, its by far the fastest system I have ever owned. But I am greedy and want more, so Ultra 120 extreme or Tuniq tower it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonman View Post
    I have the same as you, Artic Freezer 7 pro. Not bad for the price, but cant handle the temps it will take to handle this chips potential. Like I said, I am happy with my results so far, its by far the fastest system I have ever owned. But I am greedy and want more, so Ultra 120 extreme or Tuniq tower it is.
    Why am I running so much cooler at relatively the same speed as your last pic??
    Joe in Los Angeles