View Poll Results: Was this healpful with your problem?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not helpful at all

0 0%
  • Maybe helpful

0 0%
  • Somewhat helpful

0 0%
  • Helpful

0 0%
  • Extreamly helpful

0 0%

Problem Intermittent Hissing and Popping on the Creative SB X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty

My PC Specs:
    • CPU Intel X6800 @ 2.9 GHz
    • MoBo Asus P5N32-SLI Premium w/ latest BIOS
    • Mem 2 GB DDR2
    • Video NVIDEA GeForce 7900 GTX X 2 in SLI

I have a Creative Labs SB X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series That I installed when I built this machine. I’ve had no problems with it until just recently. I started hearing an intermittent faint popping and it developed into an intermittent hissing.

I tried contacting Creative for support and they didn’t resolve the issue. According to their “Knowledge Database” the major cause for this problem is outdated drivers. I updated all my drivers and that didn’t fix it either. I went as far as to format my drive and reinstall with all the newer drivers and that didn’t work either.

There is no onboard audio on my MoBo to disable.

If there is anyone out there that has had the same problem, please let me know how you resolved the problem. I sure don’t want to buy another card if it is going to do the same thing.

Re: Intermittent Hissing and Popping on the Creative SB X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty

Not sure why you have a poll set up ?

Well your motherboard has an add-on Asus audio card. If you don't plug the card in you should disable the bios settiing as there are still some audio functions controlled by the mobo.
    HD AUDIO > Disabled
    Page 4-29 in your manual.
    Though I don't know if it will help with your problem

Which version of the X-Fi do you own? The early models had no DSP heatsink and an nForce4 compatibility problem. The newer ones have the heatsink and updated firmware to improve compatibility.

Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache

The reason for the poll was that I was board and frustrated with this issue. I guess that I hope this thread might help someone else. I tried going into the BIOS and the settings were as they should be. When I disabled the HD Audio I lost all sound. I needed to reinstall the drivers after restoring the BIOS to AUTO. Maybe I didn't correctly follow your suggestion or maybe this soundcard is trashed. Anything else you might think I should try?

GTwanabe,
    Thaks for the post. I don't know which version of the card I have. Were do I find that info?. I have read that information in a blog. Is there a workaround to this problem that you know of?